Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell V.W Golf GTi MK1

GeeBee

Bonnet polished, I think that's as good as I can get it....

I've had that discount card for years, these days I just use it to see if I've got a good finish on my polishing 

FB_IMG_1592777007333.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

4 hours ago, beeRS said:

Beautiful job on the polishing the body.

Masking and spraying the black trim is probably my least favourite job. 

Luckily I didn't put much base coat over the wheel arch trim, hopefully it should be easier to mask them off using Bare Metal foil 

FB_IMG_1592733639992.jpg

FB_IMG_1592733636892.jpg

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Excellent progress. Getting the trim, arches etc, in black will really bring it to life.

Out of curiosity, what colour/shade 'black' do you use for this sort of work?

I'm going to be using VHT flat black, it has the correct look to it for a factory finish,  you may see them in a rich shiny black, but that more likely because they've had some trim restorer applied

This is what I'm aiming for 

vw-golf-gti-mk1.jpg

• 2 months later...

So just over 2 months since I've touched this one, so as the weather was warm enough to get myself into the garage to airbrush, i thought i would get cracking with the Golf, masked up the wheel arches, and airbrushed them matt black, using VHT matt black, decanted so i could apply it with the airbrush.

20200810_132726.jpg

20200810_132716.jpg

20200810_132703.jpg

20200810_132636.jpg

20200810_132648.jpg

20200810_132741.jpg

Just ran through this posting and the work on this is phenomenal! I especially like the body color and the contrast with the VHT black. Looks like you had a similar warpage problem in the engine bay that I had on the Cabriolet that I did a while back. Glad you were able to clamp it into place. Nice work on this project!

Later-

Got the interior fitted into the body, and then the body was fitted to the floorpan, not the easiest job to do, it really needed a lot of persuasion to get everything fitted properly, tight isn't the word I'd use to describe it, but once everything was lined up it only needed a few drops of UV resin to hold everything in place, got the front and rear valances fitted, I can see now why Revell tell you not to fit them earlier before the body is fitted 

20200811_164452.jpg

20200811_163015.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Teach me the ways, master! xD Stunning paint on a classic VW. I always wanted a Golf, closest I got was a 1980 VW Derby.

I worked for  V.A.G (Volkswagen-Audi Group) for 7 years from the late 80's to the mid 1990's, I've probably driven most VW, Audi and M.A.N light trucks back in the day, I had a nice MK2 Golf GTI for a while,  even a Polo Gt, and a late G40 Supercharged, that was a pocket rocket,  finished by having a proper Audi Quattro Coupe, that was a beast.

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Teach me the ways, master! xD Stunning paint on a classic 

It's not my best work, it's Zero base coat, followed by a few coats of acrylic clearcoat, it's only the second time I've used basecoat, so I'm still learning. 

17 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Prices are not bad for the paints, especially if this is how the finish turns out with them. 

Even better value as in the 60mls of paint supplied is enough to paint around 4 bodies, i painted this one and stripped it as I wasn't happy with the quality, I painted it again along with the bonnet,  I've got enough to paint at least 2 more models, the clearcoat applied over the base basecoat that gives you the deep shine, I'm yet to try 2k lacquer as I'm more than happy with single pack acrylic lacquer.