Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC "Deserter" Pickup Kit

Has anybody built this truck:  401596270269?hash=item5d8100c6bd:g:kg8AADeserter ?

I'm thinking of grabbing one to pirate the 4 wheel drive parts from - differentials, transfer case, drive shafts and suspension bits.  Hoping to use them on the 50 Chevy project.

Don't mind modifying things to fit as long as they are reasonably close.

Any 1950 Chevy pickup with four wheel drive from the '50s would be an upfitter like NAPCO or Marmon-Herrington. Those components might look different than what you'd find in any kit. Swapping the body onto a newer 4x4 chassis is fairly common and the Deserter chassis is the easiest one available.

1 hour ago, Fabrux said:

Any 1950 Chevy pickup with four wheel drive from the '50s would be an upfitter like NAPCO or Marmon-Herrington. Those components might look different than what you'd find in any kit. Swapping the body onto a newer 4x4 chassis is fairly common and the Deserter chassis is the easiest one available.

Yup, that's what I'm modeling.  I guess I'll grab the kit and see if it's easier to swap chassis or suspension.  I want to stay with the stovebolt 6 and relatively narrow tires that would be reasonably correct for the early 50's.

Edited by PHPaul
emphasis

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The 4x4 parts from the Desrter kit are only passable at best and there is no option for stockish tires. 

I ordered tires and wheels from Scenes Unlimited.  I can probably scratch build or kitbash the diffs.

I'd already ordered the kit, figuring there'd be plenty of generally useful stuff anyway.

You were right about the 4wd parts, they aren't much but I can work with them.  Transfer case isn't bad, front diff is crude but some fiddling will make it acceptable.  The springs are a flat-out joke but I can use the ones from the 50 Chevy kit as it has the straight front axle.