Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 car pileup in Chicago

Mike 1017

Chicago does everything big..... wife grew up there, so of course I had to go see where, before her dad sold the house to escape.  I was super annoyed to never know which way was north, usually have a great sense of direction.  /end rant/

Yep, you get a lot of drivers in a hurry to get to work on a major highway and of course they're speeding also and mix it with some icy patch of road and you have the makings of a disaster waiting to happen. It hasn't dawned on people to leave early for work and allow extra time for traffic backups, lane closures, slow moving gawkers because they've never seen a person changing a tire before , train crossing, or even bad weather. I myself would rather be at work 20 minutes early than to be at work 2 minutes late, and where I had worked they don't put up with tardiness too often. Besides when I arrive early I have time for a quick cup of coffee and I can kick back 'til starting time. No stress at all.

I am driving about 25mph-30mph on Rt 43 through Sheboygan Wi in a snow storm. There is a long over pass that is all asphalt and when it freezes it is treacherous because of black ice. When I come over the rise, cars are scattered everywhere. I tap my brakes to check for. black ice. No traction.  So between down shifting  and letting the weight of the truck slow me  down. I was able to slow down to an idle. I made it through OK 

Next this Chesehead  comes flying around me and flips over onto his roof. Lesson learned ? Probably not  

To your point slow down, leave early, and put the phone down.

Mike. 

Good job Mike as years ago I was driving with my wife and saw vehicles off to the side of the road on both sides and some on their sides as well, and my jaw dropped. Yep BLACK ICE and I almost froze, however I took my foot off the gas and didn't dare hit the brakes slowing down naturally and had a "death grip" on the steering wheel. With the help of God we made it through the patch of ice and yes I was rattled and I"ll never forget that incident as it scared the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of me. After all the crazy stunts I did behind the wheel when I was younger, nothing fazed me however this black ice certainly did.

1 hour ago, Mike 1017 said:

I am driving about 25mph-30mph on Rt 43 through Sheboygan Wi in a snow storm. There is a long over pass that is all asphalt and when it freezes it is treacherous because of black ice. When I come over the rise, cars are scattered everywhere. I tap my brakes to check for. black ice. No traction.  So between down shifting  and letting the weight of the truck slow me  down. I was able to slow down to an idle. I made it through OK 

Next this Chesehead  comes flying around me and flips over onto his roof. Lesson learned ? Probably not  

To your point slow down, leave early, and put the phone down.

Mike. 

That's what's known as a "learning moment". 

ABS and traction control can't beat the laws of physics. Or stupidity.

Keep feeling the road as you drive, maybe touch the brakes or jiggle the steering to see if it all still responds.

If you can't stop safely in the distance you can see in front of you, do you:

1) Slow down?

2) Keep on going regardless? 

Clearly nearly 60 people chose option 2. 

Edited by DonW

it would be my guess that people were not driving with a safe distance between the cars in the first place and probably had other things on their minds besides driving. And of course it didn't occur to them that safe driving is a matter of life or death. Some of these drivers seem to be a lot like people I see walking and looking at their cell phones instead of where they're going???