Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Mustang Street Freak

Snake45

4 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Your quarter panel just above the wheel arch sanded through almost exactly like on my project Mustang.

It wasn't completely through when I took the picture, but as I was doing some final sanding in the area, it opened up a cavity. Did some poking around with knife tip and some more opened up--pretty much the whole dark area in the pic. I refilled it all from the front with the SG gel. Felt like a model dentist. :lol:

Better to find that now than when I painted it, or polished it out! :o

First coat of primer on. BTW, I was going through some old gun mags the other day and ran across a '66-'67 Nova that had been built as a funny car by Don Hardy (very similar to his Dick Harrell Nickey Nova funny) that was obsolete almost the minute it was done, and so was now (1969 or '70) running as a C/Altered. Reminded me a lot of this project in some ways. 

I'm now thinking of swapping onto the chassis from a '67 Comet AWB kit because I like the front suspension better. It looks like the wheelbase might be closer to right, too. 

66MustangAWB034.jpg.42938e24d7998e45f6cf8b1376aa6919.jpg

66MustangAWB037.jpg.f932032f3e0676ce95a80f08146cf436.jpg

• 1 month later...

Progress being made....

First coat of paint on. Shown here after first sandout to remove some dust. Original plan was to lay 4-6 coats of this paint on and polish it out direct (no clearcoat), but in doing this dust sanding I realized just how many sharp edges this body has. It would be just about impossible (for me, anyway) to polish it out without going through to primer or plastic somewhere, which means starting over. No thanks. Gonna hit it with a few coats of clear instead, and polish that. 

66MustangAWB043.jpg.3defc865869bdff0ffa85c5aebb3d51b.jpg

13 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Snake...

looks great!

The look without the upper detail ubove the rear quarters (don't know the correct description) is nice.

you know?The part you filled in ?.

Like it.....I Like It Allot ?

Go Go Go.....

Thanks! Those things seem to be called roof vents or roof louvers or quarter louvers. It wasn't uncommon to see those removed and the hole covered over on drag Mustangs of the day. Sometimes sheetmetal was just pop-riveted or screwed on, in other cases it looks like some care was taken for a more finished look. 

BTW, I just restored/rescued a glue bomb AMT '66 Mustang where the louvers had been somewhat crudely hacked out. I had to carefully clean up and refine the opening, and then I made Shelby-like windows from the side window glass from a '72 Nova. That was kind of interesting work. Before and after: 

66MustangFBGreen05.jpg.e5637548256f3196918132ab5b7fc3f1.jpg

66MustangFBGreen23.jpg.45b5256dca8c5767a6069fbe7497666a.jpg

11 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Lookin' good!!!!!..... ??

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement! B)

All paint now on. 3-4 airbrushed coats of Testor little bottle Dark Blue, topped with 10 coats (rattlecan) of Krylon Gloss Clear. Put on so many coats of the Krylon because in my experience the stuff is REALLY thin and easily polished through. Unfortunately, I believe this particular can must have been their Satin or Matte mislabeled--not a hint of gloss, and in fact I WISH their Clear Matte turned out this flat. 

Looks like lots of wet-sanding and polishing to do. Ah shucks oh well, if models were easy, anybody could build them. 

66MustangAWB045.jpg.7e9323d17950c6d646a2cf91ee5f6fa2.jpg

66MustangAWB050.jpg.c980173ddf66d12a44c9fe343d9bd214.jpg

22 minutes ago, geemoney said:

excellent!

I gotta say again how beautiful the hood looks!!!

Thanks! B)

I hope it survives stripping. Polishing of the Krylon was a disaster, so I'm trying to strip that off without disturbing the blue paint or primer underneath. It's soaking in ISO alcohol even as we speak, and I'm monitoring it closely. I REALLY don't want to go all the way down to raw plastic and have to start all over. :unsure:

15 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Too bad that you couldn't have wet sanded the failed clear , then applied more gloss coat on top of it *instead of* stripping the whole thing .

Perhaps the humidity affected the finish ?

Possibly, but I'm leaning toward the theory that the can was mislabeled, or maybe just old. (It was at least 3 or 4 years old, maybe more.) I did try wet-sanding it and then polishing it, which didn't help much. 

More details up in the What Did You Accomplish Today thread. 

It's now out of the alcohol bath with most if not all of the Krylon ick off. Saved most of the blue paint and (knock wood) looks like ALL the putty/bodywork. Now drying out for another go tomorrow. I'll lay another couple coats of blue on, then decide if I want to layer up the blue or try one of the TWO other clears I bought this morning. (Already got spoons painted with the blue, ready to test.) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, Rustybill. B)

I'm using the frame from the Comet AWB, because I like the front suspension better, but had to add extra frame rails because rear suspension front mounting points are molded on the underside of the interior floor. :blink::rolleyes:

66MustangAWB053.jpg.a9aca36d864c2448119c608a6e56f187.jpg

Today, for the first time, the half-polished body sat on its dedicated (modified Comet AWB) frame (not the borrowed Falcon frame). The front end is just about exactly where I want it, but the rear needs to come down a bit. I want it sitting high and level, or with just a tiny bit of rake. The rear axle is only taped in at this time so I have plenty of ways to make adjustments. Looks like it might need to come a little bit forward, too. 

66MustangAWB055.jpg.7818bb8e90668653950ad55b6eb62fc1.jpg

66MustangAWB057.jpg.24f7aa59faa2886fb23a45a9a636b6f9.jpg

66MustangAWB059.jpg.456b08da3c726052e87897bf156fad1e.jpg

Take Two: It occurred to me that the rear axle from the Mustang kit might work better, and guess what, it did! Took about 10 minutes of careful file/trim work to adapt it to the Comet chassis, but I improvised, adapted, and overcame! This is just about exactly the "sit" I'm going for. 

Time to start painting the hot mess. 

66MustangAWB061.jpg.046f8617cc0d94002ba057870a0c7cfd.jpg

66MustangAWB065.jpg.cd9cb246627e91262f0320cf743db2d0.jpg

Thanks all. Still trying to wrestle it to the ground, it is fighting me every inch of the way. Hoping to get it finished tomorrow. The body's now fully polished and the chassis is fully assembled. Just needs body chrome and details, a few interior details, and final assembly. Wish me luck! B)

Here's the completed chassis, with engine, just to prove that it DOES have an engine in it (many of my curbside-ish models don't). You'll notice a few things missing like the distributor. I was scrambling to GITTER DONE for the deadline of the BOYD Completion Build Round 7 yesterday. I might circle black later and add all the little junk. 

The chassis is mainly from the AWB Comet Cyclone, with rear axle and suspension from the Mustang (it just worked better). Engine is from the Cyclone, with 2x4 intake and carbs from the AMT '68 Shelby Mustang. Enjoy the velocity stacks on the carbs--turns out they wouldn't fit under the hood, even with the teardrop bulge, so they had to come off. Wheels are from the AWB Mustang. Tires are from the goodie box. 

The interior tub and everything in it is from the AWB Mustang. The kit only comes with one bucket seat, so I "borrowed" a second one from another copy of the kit just in the interest of "streetability." 

66MustangAWB068.jpg.f3aef04f49d8ac0179f55e7448c53e8a.jpg

66MustangAWB071.jpg.f724afa0795037f077ed1576355349ae.jpg

66MustangAWB072.jpg.953b950ce71e3f32d69f3fd14b6af274.jpg

See you Under Glass soon, I hope! (Sneak preview pics in the BOYD thread.) Thanks for watching and cheering me on with this! B)

66MustangAWB085.jpg.e54becc6b5ddf5b973c034857c2403b1.jpg