Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Edsel Pacer - mild custom

geetee66

I'm so glad I bought a few kits before all this lockdown shenanigans. I can't get out to buy paint, so I had to choose a colour from my box of rattle cans. But at least I have something to build.

Only a mild custom on this one; lowered with custom paint and I'll use the photoetch detail set.

I'm using the 1990's issue. I'm a bit bummed that I don't have the conti kit or skirts , but I do have some long cruiser skirts that might work. All depends on how it looks once it's all together.

The body was good. Parting lines were tiny and only minor ripples in the roof (which I knocked flat)

body will be green with lime gold pearl and the roof and side scallops will be silver flake. Possibly a ghosted  pattern on the roof.  Oh, and Bellflowers and Appletons.

Anyway, I've been attacking the rear end. I cut away the shock mounts, chopped out the tops of the wheel arches and some of the transmission tunnel. I'm scratch building a 4-link setup, to get the rear as low as possible. 

I decided on painted steels from my parts box and Modelhaus early '60's thin whitewall tyres.

the front end is easy to lower. Just flip the stub axles 180 degrees.

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

Thanks guys!

yeah, the whole car looks better for a lowered ride height. I'm glad I got the razor saw out. I could've just put the rear axle on riser blocks, but I have time, so I might as well go 4-link.

I did the roof and side coves last night. Mica white pearl with some holographic nail polish mixed in.

got the green on today. Double-pleased, as the old rattle can still had plenty of pressure and didn't spit. The highlights are a lovely gold pearl. It'll be more apparent after clear and polish.

sketched a design for the roof today. I'll mask and spray it tomorrow with a bit of luck 

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4550.JPG

2 hours ago, David G. said:

I'm always amazed by these paint jobs but I have yet to try one. Yours turned out great!

What tape were you using?

David G.

Thanks David 

go on! Give it a try. Get yourself some 3M 3434 blue tape, some Stanley blades and let your imagination run riot!

I just received two 25mm x 50m rolls of tape. £8.50 inc p&p from eBay. One roll will do at least 8 cars. 

The blue tape is also good with Tamiya tape. Overlay the blue with it, and you can see the blue show through. Cut masks along the lines with a scalpel, without messing around with scissors ?

1 hour ago, espo said:

How do you accomplish paint effect on the center section and the two triangles on the rear of the roof ? I like it but not sure how it is done.   

I overlap strips of tape in parallel for the centre section, and fanned out in the triangles. I found that using longer pieces of tape helps positioning. Too short and your fingers get in the way of what you're trying to see.

use a fine spray (thin paint, lower air pressure) and begin spraying away from the edge and work towards it. Once you have the desired effect, lift that strip of tape and repeat on the next and so on.

to make the effect greater, I fogged the top of the triangle to give more depth.

here's an example of taping for a sun ray pattern:

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

2 hours ago, geetee66 said:

I overlap strips of tape in parallel for the centre section, and fanned out in the triangles. I found that using longer pieces of tape helps positioning. Too short and your fingers get in the way of what you're trying to see.

use a fine spray (thin paint, lower air pressure) and begin spraying away from the edge and work towards it. Once you have the desired effect, lift that strip of tape and repeat on the next and so on.

to make the effect greater, I fogged the top of the triangle to give more depth.

here's an example of taping for a sun ray pattern:

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

Thanks for the info. I really do need to try this.