Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colour , cleanup

We hope everyone is getting lots of building done and staying healthy during our, " stay-at-home , " time .

Recently viewed a fellow on You Tube who was using lighter fluid and Q-Tip as cleanup after application of  Tamiya Panel line Accent .

He did his Panel Line and clean up after clear coat . Seemed to do the trick.

Would liquid BBQ starter fluid do the same thing ? I've never seen lighter fluid for sale in stores.

Obviously being used in a well ventilated area away from  pilot light in furnace or water heater .

Any suggestions on this one ?

Thanks.

I use regular enamel thinner. But I also use the accent on bare plastic, before priming and painting, so ruining paint or clear is never an issue. 
Never thought about using it after the painting and clear was done. I’d probably just mess up my paint work. 

Edited by Brutalform

Lighter fluid is normally naptha (a relatively weak solvent that is flammable), and if you wanted to source some, it is usually as close as your local smoke shop. 

Because it is a solvent I am careful what I put it on, but it is great for removing glue residue from labels and such.

I use odorless (yeah right) paint thinner I get in the art dept. at Hobby Lobby.   Use sparingly.  

I found another panel line accent stuff which works great but it's hard to find.  Flory Panel Line Accent.  It's clay based so its completely water soluble .  Just take a Q tip and spit on it, wipes off the excess perfectly and you don't have to worry about melting your finish.  

You can get it from Flory models in the UK.  Only place I've found it in the US is at High Altitude Hobbies.  

Edited by El Roberto
Added info

Per the instructions on the bottle : "To remove excess, wait until it has completely dried, then use a cotton swab dipped in X-20 Enamel Thinner to wipe off. "  I guess I've been doing it all wrong as I just use a little water dampened Q-Tip and or a bit of Kleenex as soon as I see a run. I would say just do what ever works best for your self. 

Thanks for tips/suggestions .

Unfortunately hobby shop had applied their oversize price sticker on English instructions for clean up .

Peel back reveals what I need to know.

I think we can tie this thread off .

Thanks again.

22 hours ago, rob1957 said:

Recently viewed a fellow on You Tube who was using lighter fluid and Q-Tip as cleanup after application of  Tamiya Panel line Accent . He did his Panel Line and clean up after clear coat . Seemed to do the trick.

Would liquid BBQ starter fluid do the same thing ? I've never seen lighter fluid for sale in stores.

Ronsonol brand lighter fluid should be readily available in smoke shops, pharmacies and many supermarkets.  It is basically Naphtha (type of a petroleum distillate).  BBQ starter fluid (Kerosene) is in that family of products, but it takes much longer to evaporate.

Naphtha is carried by most hardware stores as VM&P Naphta in quart and gallon cans. That stands for (Varnish Makers & Painters Naphtha) and it is much cheaper than Ronsonol.  I always have a quart handy for all sorts of cleanups (it also works great for removing gummy sticker adhesive residues).  But any petroleum product can attack paint, so be careful. Naphtha is fairly mild, but if you leave it on the painted surface too long, or rub too hard, it might slightly affect the surface.