Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASCAR window netting

An endless supply of window netting can be found in the cosmetics section of your local WalMart (if you are able to get to one).  Buy one of those nylon mesh puffs that are used in the shower.  They come in a variety of colors and when disassembles they offer a large amount of mesh netting.  Simply stretch our the mesh to the opening size desired, carefully lay masking tape along the edges, all around, turn the mesh over and tape that side.  Cut to the size you want, paint the tape, and you have a window net.  I used it for the window net on this 1/32 Mustang; the window net is a bit large for the build.

Stang & Hauler 008.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick

14 hours ago, Michael in Illinois said:

Looking for aftermarket kits to do the window netting. I've seen builds with the netting hanging down the door. That's the look I am looking for.

If you want it hanging down the door your going to have to scratch build it, probably out of thin pieces of tape. Not that hard but its going to be time consuming. The old school nets look more like rope like this one i made for Seniors nova. You have to use thread for those.

6 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

If you want it hanging down the door your going to have to scratch build it, probably out of thin pieces of tape. Not that hard but its going to be time consuming. The old school nets look more like rope like this one i made for Seniors nova. You have to use thread for those.

A lot of teams used volleyball net!

I have done it two ways: using pieces from a large gauze pad if you want more of the "rope" look. I edge it with 1/8" white ribbon, which you can probably find at a craft store or on the internet. My last car I used common window screen painted white edged with the same ribbon. It looks good but not as "ropey". Grand Am is gauze, Cutlass is window screen. The screen is much easier to work with.

finished grand am 2.jpg

baker done 7.JPG

Aluminium foil or thin pewter sheet works quite well cut into strips and interwoven. Another thing that is a bit more scarce to find these days is the very soft foil from wine bottles that resembles soft lead in malleability.

The nice thing about each of these is that they can be shaped easily to drape realistically. You can do this first and set the shape before painting.....less chance of the paint cracking when bent to shape.

3 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Mark, you are probably right. This is early 80's.

nascar-le-mans.jpg

I did some searching around and it looks like 1981 was the last year for the rope type window net . I found a picture of a waltrip 81 buick and it had a rope type and then i found a waltrip 82 buick and it had the belt type like the pontiac you posted above. I'm not sure what year that pontiac raced?