Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welfare check-in: How are people faring with the shelter in place orders?

Dave Ambrose

Other than being able to work from home (Which gives me an extra 2 hours of Free Time), and not being able to sit at my favorite Mexicain Restaurant,  it's been business has usual.  I been doing Click Pick grocery pick up for over a year now, my local hobby shop has been temporoay closed prior to all this due to health reasons. My lady was really sick with the flu, and in ICU back in February (Not related to Covid). I consider myself blessed through all this, and I do think about all the small businesses, and folks that are suffering because of this mess. 

Reporting in from the NJ / Philadelphia area, one of the areas hard hit by the virus.   We are doing okay, doing a weekly grocery and beer run. We are not being paid and are living on savings.  Got our first pizza take out this past week, which was an amazing treat!  I barbecue a lot, and with fresh chicken wings out of stock, I’ll be cooking up Buffalo Chicken Legs tonight. 

4B3C17E5-43E6-449E-AE77-FD7417BE8192.thumb.jpeg.0083c39db5b1fb7780e0294a27db1d37.jpeg

Here’s how we pick up a pizza.. our favorite Rocco’s Sicilian Special pizza! For the two of us it lasts a few days, thus a good purchase. 

People pull up into a parking space, which face the building. If there is a patron at the window you wait your turn in your car. Upon your turn, you approach the window. They’ve got this set up like a bank drive up window. Like most businesses around here they’re not taking cash, only cards. You speak into the microphone and let them know which order you are picking up. The window opens and you put your card into a tray. 

The masked girl inside processes your card, no signature or PIN required, then opens the window and your order is sitting inside the box with your card on top. A good no contact solution. 

Anyway, I’m getting a bit concerned about people. I posted photos of the deserted highway here the first week. Since I’m only out once or twice a week I notice change. This week there were a lot of cars. In the grocery store and Walmart it was more crowded. People have to wear masks by law here, but they’re showing up as entire families with small kids in the cart. People are getting sloppy.

People are getting antsy and seeing some minor things opening up as a sign they can do what they want. We got invited to a Memorial Day party at my wife’s friend’s house. They’ve decided that if NJ beaches are opening up, they could have a party!  Now the clincher.. their daughter who lives there is a nurse attending to Coronavirus patients!  We aren’t going!

From our perspective, we’ve been holed up now for two months and don’t want it to be for nothing!  We can do this another month or so if it means we won’t be doing this in again in the fall and winter!

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Reporting in from the NJ / Philadelphia area, one of the areas hard hit by the virus.   We are doing okay, doing a weekly grocery and beer run. We are not being paid and are living on savings.  Got our first pizza take out this past week, which was an amazing treat!  I barbecue a lot, and with fresh chicken wings out of stock, I’ll be cooking up Buffalo Chicken Legs tonight. 

I've always wondered why they are called Buffalo wings (or legs in this case). So I finally did some research and now I know!

Hope you enjoyed yours, Tom.

My wife has started her temporary job testing mostly residents and employees in long term care facilities all over the state of North Dakota, along with some mass testing.

Her and her colleagues tested just over 300 residents and employees at a care facility in Mayville ND on Monday where 20 positive tests were reported.

She will be testing over 1,000 residents and employees at a facility in Fargo tomorrow.

Steve 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My wife has started her temporary job testing mostly residents and employees in long term care facilities all over the state of North Dakota, along with some mass testing.

Her and her colleagues tested just over 300 residents and employees at a care facility in Mayville ND on Monday where 20 positive tests were reported.

She will be testing over 1,000 residents and employees at a facility in Fargo tomorrow...

Diagnostic or antibody tests?

I am very lucky to live in Australia where we have had a total of 100 deaths altogether.  Really bad for those 100 people but way better than other countries.  If it hadn't been for a monumental SNAFU where one state government let 3500 people roam free off a virus infected cruise ship, it would have been even less.  One nursing home and one ship have been the source of nearly 50% of our fatalities.

I have been working from home for over two months and it is pretty boring but, hey, I'm still getting paid so I have no right to complain.  They are talking about us going back to work next week. I try to take the roadster for a drive each week because it is a car that has always hated being parked. It needs love too!

We didn't have a full lock down, it was more like, "Be careful folks, and only do what you have to do."  I have been to a hardware a couple of times and the local hobby shop a couple of times.  99.9% of people are doing the right thing. We did have a full lock down of both state and international borders fairly early and that has helped a lot.  A bit easier to do when you are one whopping big island!

One thing that does bug me is our two national football codes who have been obsessed with playing on ever since the virus first hit.  They kept playing long after everyone else holed up, and now are  screaming that the season has to restart, like they are the most important people on the planet.  Having zero interest in football, I disagree with their self-imposed importance!  On the other hand, our main auto racing code, V8 Supercars, went virtual, with all the drivers racing Playstation style on tracks all over the world.  Not my cup of tea but at least they made the best of it!

I have finished 9 models since Jan 1 which is a record for me.  It is not that I have so much more time, more that I have become more focussed and stay away from the idiot box.  

To everyone out there who is not doing so well (and we hear about the USA situation every night on the news) my best wishes to you all and I hope that the end is in sight for your suffering.

Cheers

Alan

On 5/9/2020 at 11:53 PM, alexis said:

I saw this and wanted to share it. Given how members of the same board in different states view things, I thought it apropos.

"

"Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on!

Perspective:

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...

On 5/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, alexis said:

Well, I work in the Transportation/ Oil Industry. (We run flatbeds, and haul exclusively for Big Oil Companies, and some small ones too). I don't see the economy giving the USA the luxury of staying in lock-down much longer. I've lost three customers to this. They've not been sick, but the Oil Price drop has killed their companies. Nieman-Marcus has just declared a BK. We now know how to treat this disease, and I foresee that opening some places up, cannot be put off longer. I'm employed for now, but there is no guarantee that it will continue. Circumstances are changing rapidly, and "Shelter-in-place", is now causing more harm than good in SOME areas. It's time to stop with One-Size-Fits-All solutions and get back to making thoughtful decisions. The time for panic is over.

Both of these statements are very true, Allen. I hope your job survives this, and your family does, as well.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:58 PM, Bernard Kron said:

In general things were already very fragile with huge overcapacity in many different fields, for example retail sales (both on line and bricks and mortar), restaurants, automobile production, energy (fracking brought North America back as a net exporter, but pushed things over the edge in terms of world supply), industrial metals and commodities, biotech and even online entertainment and social media. Having to pull in our horns like this may very well be a tipping point but it sure isn't gonna make things any easier. I fear policy makers will find there are no good choices and it will be by no means clear what the least bad ones will be... The temptation will be huge to over-simplify and patience will be at a premium.

Locally in Massachusetts, we've heard estimates of as many as 60% of the independent restaurants and 50% of the independent retailers closing because of the way things are being done here. Crickets.

Reason Magazine online has had some very good reading and perspectives of many of the things you're talking about, Bernard, and you might want to take a look at it. www.reason.com

--------------------------------

As for myself...

I go and do stuff as I need. For a wide variety of reasons, I also don't do masks, primarily among them being my spring allergies are so bad, all I'll do is sneeze into the mask and give myself bronchitis. Hard pass.

Despite our governor's late-to-the-party mask order, many of the businesses in this region are saying "we don't care," and one of our local police chiefs just announced he will not enforce any orders from Beacon Hill, as he believes they are unconstitutional and has told the health department from the City of Worcester, which contracts with his town to do the inspections, that they will be arrested if they attempt to enforce them in his town. That said, he's letting businesses make their own call.  Patience is indeed wearing thin in Central and parts of Western Massachusetts.

A very close friend of mine, along with her mother, is now hospitalized with what we belive is the Coronavirus infection, her brother has been very quiet about it, and he himself isn't sure. She worked in what was found to be in one of the most unsanitary nursing homes in the state as a CNA, and despite all the protective stuff, she still got this thing from the looks of it. In all likelihood, she'll be okay, but it's still a question mark. He mom probably will be, too, thankfully. This feeds the theory, at least in my mind, that all the governors ordering the sick back to their nursing homes caused this thing to flare. Presently, 60% of the deaths in Massachusetts originate in a nursing home.

Another girl I've made friends with here in town called me a couple of weeks ago. Her jobs all evaporated. Needed $40 to buy a couple of things. No problem, I happened to have it. She came to me a couple of weeks later in tears begging me to forgive her. For what, I asked? The stress and loss of employment caused her to snap, and she bought crack after being clean for several years (before I met her). I really wonder if the shot-callers are taking any of this into consideration. I think drug addiction and alcoholism resulting from what has become reckless "public policy," if you can call it that, will probably equal the number of deaths over time from this virus. Maybe exceed it.

Our governor is considering re-instigating the lockdown and keeping it until a vaccine comes. That could take years, and will result in either riots or total economic devestation. The man does not care, he only cares about "safety." Threre will be little safety once state-wide unemployment hits 40-50% and it was avoidable. Right now, at least a temporary relocation to the Carolinas or Georgia is on the table, if for no other reason, I can get some work there.

An Australian study a couple of weeks ago predicts that the number of suicides from social isolation and economic failure will outstrip the number of deaths from this virus by as much as a factor of five. I wouldn't doubt that, either.

The madness must end.

Charlie Larkin

Last August my wife and I went out to dinner on a Sunday afternoon . After dinner we stopped off to Walmart. We were just about done shopping and headed to the check out  when every cell phone in the place lit up with an emergency tone-all those phones going off at the same time was super creepy. About the same time a Walmart associate came on the store intercom and ordered every one to leave their carts where they where and everyone come to the center of the store to hunker down because a tornado was headed straight for us . I didn't count but would guess there was 300 people in the store at that time. After about 7 minutes of the hunker down in the center of the store we could feel and hear the storm closing in on us and the store lights when out , It was totally dark-people were FREAKING out . The small security lights came on with the back up system but only 25% light at best. Start to finish that ordeal took about 20 minutes . That 20 minutes felt like a week and a half !

This took place a week or so after the shooting at a Walmart in Texas . We had a long talk about if and when we should ever go to a Walmart or any other big type stores or any other large gatherings like that in fear of public shootings. We both agreed we didn't want to live in fear of such things and would carry on like it never happened....or it wouldn't happen here....of course .

Covid 19 is a whole other thing and it's very real . It's bounds are beyond politics, age, race or religion .  It is a health issue /transmitted by human to human contact . I don't think it's going away any time soon ! 

No one saw this coming ....? No one was ready or prepared . No matter what~that's what happened. At least the next time virus flares up again , and it will, we can't say we were not  warned and we are no better prepared then we were 3 months ago .

The  economy is a secondary issue  at this point . 

Note that I live at the edge of the NYC / NJ epicenter so I’m more than a bit concerned.  We all know people who died. It’s real easy to sit out in Montana and criticize.

As areas are opening up, people are running out and acting like it’s all over. Watching TV showing people out and about, shoulder to shoulder with no masks. News interviewing cavalier people including one idiot who rubbed his face with his hands for the reporter! 

Already, the news just reported that new cases are up in Arkansas and North Carolina today as well as in Montgomery, Alabama up 35% this week. 

I think we are going to see more spikes and it will be harder to contain people this time around.

I really don't think that people understand the ramifications of what devastating the economy is going to do to the health and well being of the people of this country.

The overwhelming majority of COVID deaths in this country have been residents of long term care facilities and people over the age of 60, and the majority of them have had underlying health conditions.

So let's agree that we know who the vulnerable population is for the most part.

In the mean time, while unemployment soars to record numbers, the unintended consequences of alcohol and drug abuse, spousal and child abuse, depression, suicide and uncounted numbers of other poverty related health issues will very likely cause more deaths than the virus will.

Nobody seems to be concerned about those casualties.

Steve

All I'm daring to say, is that Arizona is a different world than everywhere else.  My downtown was bustling with people, highways are crowded, in fact the I-17 had a miles long traffic jam.  Lake Havasu is crowded with boaters.  Have fun everyone else.

Just read everyone's comments. I could share my personal life changes but there really aren't many as I am semi essential and still working. I would like to share some thoughts on the situation for you to think about. This virus kills some people but not 99%. The simple fact is, it will or will not, solely based on your health conditions. It is not based on WHEN you get it. Your exposure could have been two weeks ago or 4 months from now. The end result will be exactly the same until they come up with a treatment or vaccine (which may have its own issues). Locking everyone down only does one thing. It keeps the health care system from being overrun which could occur if EVERYONE got it all at the same time. The lockdown may delay, but not prevent your exposure. With that being said. Being locked up can very well prolong the lives of those at risk. If they can arrange their lives to be isolated from the rest of the world and can tolerate it, good for them. The problem is now that it is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR the health care system is NOT in danger of being overwhelmed (even in NYC). The lock down has served its purpose. Let the rest of us get back to our normal lives. As an aside, for those of you wearing masks in public, what are the odds that NO ONE (you or anyone else in the public) is touching their masks. Because if you touch the outside of it and assume it has virus on it then touch anything else after that, what was the point of wearing it. Remember, you are going to be exposed sooner or later and you have a greater than 99% chance of living in spite of what the talking heads on TV tell you.

Since I drive a school bus I knew I would be out of work at the end of May,  Luckily my retirement and SS are sufficient to keep me living comfortably, not luxuriously, but comfortably.  The local home improvement store was deemed essential and was allowed to stay open.  So wearing my mask (I am so tired of breathing lint), I have done a bit of shopping.  Since these pictures were taken I have got the wall studs in place and half the rafters up.  I was building this project as a storage for my garden tractor and implements, unfortunately the tractor's hydrostatic drive unit expired, and since it is over 20 years old there are no parts to repair it.  I know of one extensive junk yard that may have parts, but I have not had time to get down there yet to see what they have.

Storage Shed 002.JPG

Storage Shed.JPG

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

As an aside, for those of you wearing masks in public, what are the odds that NO ONE (you or anyone else in the public) is touching their masks. Because if you touch the outside of it and assume it has virus on it then touch anything else after that, what was the point of wearing it.

I will add a couple of observations about wearing protective gear as well.

Working in a medical setting, I have heard often the fact that a mask does little to protect the wearer from contracting the virus.

It only serves to help keep the wearer from possibly spreading the virus to others if he or she has it.

The virus is not selective about which avenue it enters your body, whether through your nose or eyes.

Besides, how often do you see some schmuck walking around with a mask on, and either his nose is sticking out of the top of the mask, or he's wearing it on his chin.

There's no point at all in wearing a mask unless you are at least going to wear it properly.

So basically, the mask has become a token of courtesy and little else.

It let's other people know that "I care about you enough to not infect you if I am infected", and there is nothing wrong with that, but it's not going to necessarily protect you from becoming infected.

The next misconception is that you are somehow protecting yourself by wearing rubber gloves.

This is complete hog wash!

There is no difference at all between living virus on your hands, or on your gloves.

As a matter of fact, it can be detrimental because of the misconception that the wearer is somehow protected and therefore free to put their grubby gloves all over any surface they please.

Gloves are only helpful to the wearer if used for a particular task and then discarded.

Walking around all day with a pair of rubber gloves on is just plain ignorant.

Washing your hands and using hand sanitizer frequently will help protect yourself and others, but gloves?..........well, unless you plan on washing and sanitizing your gloves just as often as you would of your hands, they will only serve to make you look like a dope.

Steve

I'm now a senior citizen, and am retired with medical issues. A friend does 95% of all my shopping. She's a nurse and extremely fastidious, even more so since the outbreak. That being said, my life would almost be no different these days than it was last year, except that I found mold in my home at the end of February. I've been isolating in her home while I have the mold abated. Finding someone to do this was a nightmare that took over a month. Most all the companies that do this are now either completely busy sanitizing commercial buildings, or not working. Getting a housecleaner after the abatement is worse. I've contacted about a dozen companies and it seems that when I tell them I'm sensitive to chemicals they don't want the job. Makes me worry for the old folks in nursing homes that have been sanitized, and the chance the chemicals would be making them sick.

We have also been on lockdown in the UK since early April. It was dreadful to see on our news the queues of US citizens in their cars to use a food bank last week. The UK government has furloughed virtually all the working population on 80 per cent of their salary up to a figure cap temporarily. Cannot see how long this will last, or what will happen when it stops! The idea being to crank up the economy fast and get people back to work when things get better.

There will be many lulled into a false sense of security by being paid to stay at home for now, particularly the public sector. It will be the private sector that will take the brunt of work losses initially not being paid with tax payers money.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 5/24/2020 at 3:00 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

You don't have to travel all of the way to Montana to be critical of how this is being handled.

Do the citizens of Schuyler county (11 cases), Lewis county (19 cases) or Hamilton county (5 cases) in New York, have a right to be critical when they are living under the same rules as New York City?

They are not! New York is opening up based on risk, as is Pennsylvania where I live. Most of my state went to yellow, with the counties closest to Philly and NJ still on red and locked down. It’s based on proximity and risk. Although our numbers aren’t bad here in Chester county, many people would be commuting into Philadelphia and New Jersey, bringing the virus home with them. 

In restricting activity and movement it keeps the virus from spreading. Northern NJ is the hot spot and the governor is trying to keep people from traveling to the shore areas, which have less infection. While hotels and rental houses are not open, people who owned second homes at the shore wanted to quarantine there. Even that is taxing the limited resources in those areas.

i have a friend in New York City who told me he thinks they are the only people still in their apartment building.. so where did all these people go and just where are they spreading the virus?

And as far as contact spreading, my sister in law in Central NJ just tested positive for the antibodies, which means she had the virus. Nobody else in her household was positive, and she was only in the suburbs and worked in the local school. So who knows where she got it.

Edited by Tom Geiger