Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Ford Woody

landman

21 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build. I also followed your build on this one and really liked the way you created the wood appearance inside and out. Nice to see a truly stock finish once in a while. 

Thank you, actually, a truly stock finish would have light frames over dark panels. However I used what I had.?

3 minutes ago, landman said:

Thank you, actually, a truly stock finish would have light frames over dark panels. However I used what I had.?

The wood colors you mentioned are considered the norm. Old Mr. Ford had his own forest in upper parts of Michigan and his own crews harvesting the trees. I remember seeing some of the Ford wagons from this era after they had been on the road for many years and were just old cars at the time and the wood was stained much like you have done. Was that the way they were built ? Or did the owners in later years sand and restaind them and reverse the stain colors ? Either way I like how it looks. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

The wood colors you mentioned are considered the norm. Old Mr. Ford had his own forest in upper parts of Michigan and his own crews harvesting the trees. I remember seeing some of the Ford wagons from this era after they had been on the road for many years and were just old cars at the time and the wood was stained much like you have done. Was that the way they were built ? Or did the owners in later years sand and restaind them and reverse the stain colors ? Either way I like how it looks. 

I have no idea. However I had read about Ford having his own forest. A friend of mine had restored a 39 around 25 years ago. I remember seeing all the pieces around his shop, all rotten and weathered. I can't find the one I had of it completed. In any case I had you like it.

• 6 months later...