Model Cars Magazine Forum

Down memory lane

the goon

Alrighty then,

Besides being in the "shelter in place" mode, we are in the midst of having our house remodeled ?. While moving everything from one place to another, I pulled out a couple of models my daughters built way back when. They were 10, and 12 at the time (28, and 30 now), and surprised me by wanting to build a model car. We went to the LHS, and they picked out matching vw bug snapper kits. All of the building was done by them, including the rattle can paint, and base materials. The light pole, and the brick street sheeting came from the model railroad shop, and the surfboard came from a souvenir shop on the Redondo Beach pier. Really was proud of the way their bugs turned out, and glad I've kept them all this time. All comments/criticism/threats are welcome, and encouraged.

Mark

0 (2).jpg

0-1.jpg

0-6.jpg

0-7.jpg

0-2.jpg

0-3.jpg

0-5.jpg

0 (3).jpg

Edited by the goon

What great mementos to discover! Hope your remodelling includes display cases... Thanks for sharing the “Bugs”. Wish someone would have kitted the last edition of the line. Cheers Misha 

Edited by Misha
Spelling

23 minutes ago, Misha said:

What great mementos to discover! Hope your remodelling includes display cases... Thanks for sharing the “Bugs”. Wish someone would have kitted the last edition of the line. Cheers Misha 

Thanks. There will definitely be a place for these two models.

Mark 

I'm sure you were there to coach and maybe even give a little advice, but for a 10 and 12 year old's they really look good. As others have mentioned they should be preserved just as is. That Surf Board, is that sort of souvenir still around ? That would be cool on a Surf Wagon build today.   

21 hours ago, espo said:

I'm sure you were there to coach and maybe even give a little advice, but for a 10 and 12 year old's they really look good. As others have mentioned they should be preserved just as is. That Surf Board, is that sort of souvenir still around ? That would be cool on a Surf Wagon build today.   

Thanks. I did give advice on how to glue, and paint, but they did all the building. The idea was to make the theme/base as different as possible. The surfboard was a souvenir; I haven't been to the Redondo Beach pier in many years, but they probably still sell them. There were several gift shops that had them at the time.

Mark

Very cool. Let your daughters know you still have the models. No doubt they have fond memories of that experience!

My daughters are 36 and 32 and I built models with them in the same timeframe. I have those models on the top shelf of my display case. My older daughter was here a few years ago and spied them. She was surprised to see that I still had them and that they were important to me!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool. Let your daughters know you still have the models. No doubt they have fond memories of that experience!

My daughters are 36 and 32 and I built models with them in the same timeframe. I have those models on the top shelf of my display case. My older daughter was here a few years ago and spied them. She was surprised to see that I still had them and that they were important to me!

Thanks. They are "sheltering in place" at our house;. One is a 5th grade teacher, and is teaching her class online from home. The other is a nursing assistant at our local hospital.

Mark

3 minutes ago, the goon said:

Thanks. They are "sheltering in place" at our house;. One is a 5th grade teacher, and is teaching her class online from home. The other is a nursing assistant at our local hospital.

Mark

Cool! My eldest daughter is an elementary teacher too. She’s taught just about every year and currently teaches first grade, now online too! She participated in a teachers caravan of 35 cars on Friday, touring the town to wave to all the kids!

My younger daughter sells software for one of the big names. Sounds like we both raised them right!?

33 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cool! My eldest daughter is an elementary teacher too. She’s taught just about every year and currently teaches first grade, now online too! She participated in a teachers caravan of 35 cars on Friday, touring the town to wave to all the kids!

My younger daughter sells software for one of the big names. Sounds like we both raised them right!?

Think we did ?.

Mark