Model Cars Magazine Forum

Battle Aces of the Road

Here's a series of Aurora model kits I did not know of at the time they were originally out. Years later I found out about them, and have been kind semi lusting for them ever since. Not really enough to pursue them. But, if I could find them at right price. Maybe. 

Any how, I'd like to see what other know of these kits. Has any built them? Does anybody have them in their collections today? It would be great to see what they look like. 

Below are copies of box art from the net that I could find on the series. I assume this is it. Or were there more? 

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

3 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

I assume they are all the Aurora kits that later ended up in Monogram boxes. Maybe they hoped the fantasy camo schemes would distract people from the goofy shapes... certainly in the case of the 250 GTO and E-type...

That's exactly what they are.  The 1/25 scale Aurora kits originally issued in 1962-63, re-released later as the "Battle Aces."  Then re-issued by Monogram in the late 1970s.

It looks like one of the Aurora 1/25 kits didn't get the "Battle Aces" treatment, and AFAIK was never re-issued after its original run:  the Studebaker Avanti.  Like all original Aurora kits, it had really eye-catching box art.  I wonder if this was one of the molds lost in the Famous Train Wreck.  Or if Aurora, and maybe then Monogram, just decided it wouldn't be popular enough to re-issue and junked the molds or something.

aur_avanti.jpg

56 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

The side windows are wonky but I have seen worse ones (LS kit).

IMG_7653.JPG

IMG_7654.JPG

IMG_7655.JPG

Yea, I'm familiar the Aurora Ford GT kit. I too have one. I'm wondering what it looked like with the Battle Aces of the Road decals on it? This goes true for the other Aurora kits in this series. We know what the basic kits look like. What do they look when built in series? 

And that's not to discount the nice job you did on yours Rex. It looks good. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bacon said:

I assume they are all the Aurora kits that later ended up in Monogram boxes. Maybe they hoped the fantasy camo schemes would distract people from the goofy shapes... certainly in the case of the 250 GTO and E-type...

best,

M.

Frankly the rest of them aren't all that special either. And in questionable taste some would say!

But there is something oddly appealing about them to me,  in a morbidly curious way.