Porsche 917 replica anyone?

RE: Porsche 917 Turns 40 - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

Here's a real one:

image.jpeg.e7690bdd7982f448129826b1308fb3f5.jpeg

Or this beauty:

image.jpeg.f08b0c0d23842e2a69d4b51c09b69a75.jpeg

Based on this:

Mercedes SSK

There's a few more out there, let's see your candidates!

Edited by DonW

1937 Jaguar Ss100 3.5 Litre - The Bid Watcher

Oh lets make one of these:

1939 Jaguar SS100 Replica Convertible | T43 | Dallas 2017

The owner of one of the above can look forward to being politely and firmly asked to go and park somewhere else at any Jaguar Divers Club event of their choice!

I've forgotten who made (makes?) this horrible Palmer-esque 550 Spyder kit (rear engined, not mid engined, on a VW pan), but again, lotsa folks don't see anything wrong with it.

1955 Porsche 550 Spyder Replica 'Little Bastard'

The good 550 kits, like the Beck car I have, are mid-engined, on tubular frames like the real cars, and the body lines and proportions are dead-on because the molds were pulled from real cars...not somebody's poor "interpretation".

A Storied 1956 Porsche 550 RS Spyder Speeds to Auction – Robb Report

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've forgotten who made (makes?) this horrible Palmer-esque 550 Spyder kit (rear engined, not mid engined, on a VW pan), but again, lotsa folks don't see anything wrong with it.

Jimmy Dean would't have gone near that!

The Beck car is pretty nice.

I have noticed over the years that many replicas and recreations of beautiful classic autos are spoiled by trying to make the original design accomodate a modern drivetrain  ,and sometimes the cowl and windshield of the donor car. Thus you end up with a not too close replica of a beautiful car. This also happens sometimes when somebody tries to merge a modern car with its vintage ancestor( like putting a 65 Mustang body onto a 2014 Mustang chassis/floorpan assembly) .Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Often times the wheelbase is altered to the detriment of the overall design, or the car has to be widened , and it is not pulled off successfully.  

Man, I really like that "Rolls"!

There were two makes of car in the 1920's that copied RR's distinctive grille.  I'd fix up that thing and call it either a "Moon" or "Roamer", after the 2 makes from the 1920's.

"What is it?" 

"It's 1962 Roamer Convertible Sedan, Only one ever Built!"

14 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The 10 Sickest Widebody Car Kits (8 We'd Avoid With A Ten-Foot Pole)

This is special because of the amount of money and effort that seems to have gone into totally ruining a 3 series!

And I'd take bets that the hood scoop isn't functional.

He's even got the number plate backwards! - I see his neighbour has a Mercedes KLS.

22 hours ago, DonW said:

Jimmy Dean would't have gone near that!

The Beck car is pretty nice.

To quote some famous person whose name I forgot:  "James Dean was an actor.  Jimmy Dean makes sausage."  ?

A local used-car lot had a Palmerism sitting in the back row when I was a kid.  It fascinated me.  A '62 Corvette with the roof of a split-window '63 coupe grafted on.  A real class act in ugly.  And the closer you got, the worse it looked. You could see patches of Bondo and raw Fiberglas flaking off along the seams where the roof section was attached.  They were white and gray, and really stood out against the new coat of red paint. 

I hoped that the roof came from a wrecked '63 that was a total loss.  Still, it was a horrible abuse of 2 great classic cars. 

3 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Let's not forget the Fiero-rari

And the 240Z GTO

Although I have to admit, the 308 and GTO look pretty good to me.

Yeah they're not terrible - but the F40 wannabe is a definate Palmer-ism!

16 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

To quote some famous person whose name I forgot:  "James Dean was an actor.  Jimmy Dean makes sausage."  ?

A local used-car lot had a Palmerism sitting in the back row when I was a kid.  It fascinated me.  A '62 Corvette with the roof of a split-window '63 coupe grafted on.  A real class act in ugly.  And the closer you got, the worse it looked. You could see patches of Bondo and raw Fiberglas flaking off along the seams where the roof section was attached.  They were white and gray, and really stood out against the new coat of red paint. 

I hoped that the roof came from a wrecked '63 that was a total loss.  Still, it was a horrible abuse of 2 great classic cars. 

No disrespect to James Dean intended! Blame David Essex in the song 'Rock On':

'Still looking for that blue jean, baby queen
Prettiest girl I ever seen
See her shake on the movie screen, Jimmy Dean
(James Dean)'

That Vette sounds nasty, it's probably a relief for us all that you don't have any photos!?