Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/1 Palmerisms

Croatian Ferrari Testarossa… Or 512TR, I guess, depending from which end you are looking at :P

A bit worse for wear... The very front and rear ends are actually somewhat convincing, albeit for two entirely different cars (front is early TR, and rear is the later 512 model), but then everything goes horribly wrong in between.

5dd9db.jpg.5a65dd50f659b90f9c189960793e5689.jpg

0336dc.jpg.910c86d2acbd00fa7c927fc590322511.jpg

c81e72.jpg.86f49291c0eccf3c1f0f0f52003976f6.jpg

Man, that 240-GTO Ferrari is actually pretty sweet!! And one of those Fiero-rrari conversions was nice, too. I'd drive 'em!

The donk GT40 made me lol. There's one of those bodies in a field near me, on a 4x4 frame. It has potential, haha.

Here's a Classic Reflection Coachworks Corvette. Saw one of these in person once, and didn't hate it! Much.

81d0be40588f3ad1a159fbdd72800d73.jpg

I don't hate this Miata either!

wbjjjjfi8zcnxxfe3pnm.jpg

Here's a Viper-vette pinched from Jalopnik (via Craigslist). Woof!

jdrzrdrxxc7gvvatdwd0.jpg

And to finish off, a Miata-stang. Yuck!

vph5oedd9i6mudbqe0jp.jpg

One of the first 1:1 Palmerisms and you could buy it!  That is, if you were willing to pay a Cadillac price for a tarted-up Chevy.  The 1956-57 Chevy El Morocco. 

A real example of Parts Bin Engineering:  the "Dagmar" front bumpers on some El Moroccos were reversed 1937 Dodge headlights, the taillights were from a 1955 Dodge, and other parts came from all over.  Many people thought it was a bad idea, especially General Motors.  But since we live in a crazy world, today the El Morocco is a bona fide collector car that brings big bucks at auction.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/05/01/cadillac-taste-chevrolet-budget-1957-el-morocco-sells-for-140000

el moroc.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 4/25/2020 at 3:56 AM, landman said:

This one almost fooled me. My daughter and a kit Countach some 30 years ago.

Lambo 19920003.jpg

Oh yes, I was fooled a few times by some Kit versions that where done really well! And yes, also about 30 something years ago! ?

I remember going into a poster shop at the mall and they had a gorgeous poster of the Quattrovalvole and I asked the girl to please grab me a copy of it, and mispronounced it pretty badly that she corrected me on how to properly say Countach  and not Countac ! LOL! Must have been around 1986

Then I scored a Alpine Electronics promo poster and I wish I still had that one! 

Alpine-Lamboghini Countach "Bedroom Poster" | Lamborghini, Cool ...

Edited by Daddyfink

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh yes, I was fooled a few times by some Kit versions that where done really well! And yes, also about 30 something years ago! ?

I remember going into a poster shop at the mall and they had a gorgeous poster of the Quattrovalvole and I asked the girl to please grab me a copy of it, and mispronounced it pretty badly that she corrected me on how to properly say Countach  and not Countac ! LOL! Must have been around 1986

Then I scored a Alpine Electronics promo poster and I wish I still had that one! 

Jesse, I think this one ended up being a Fiero, can't remember for sure.

Thanks to all who have posted pics of these 'cars', the cause of nightmares !

Here in UK there are special occasion car hire companies who have fake generic 1900's to '30's veteran style bodywork on modern chassis.

Just so some easily pleased dimwit can say "ooh look! how nice we got an old fashioned car for the wedding!"

Puhleeease Nooooo!!!!.

7 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

Here in UK there are special occasion car hire companies who have fake generic 1900's to '30's veteran style bodywork on modern chassis.

Just so some easily pleased dimwit can say "ooh look! how nice we got an old fashioned car for the wedding!"

Puhleeease Nooooo!!!!.

We had a choice of one of those creations or a proper Daimler DS4200.

We chose the Daimler, naturally.

7 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

Puhleeease Nooooo!!!!.

?  I wondered if that was the case with these "tour cars" in Prague. Or if they still have their vintage Praga engines and running gear.  This one caught my eye because it has the same body style as a certain model car kit: the Heller Citroen Normandie, with the steel front and wooden rear.

IMG_4364.JPG

6 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

?  I wondered if that was the case with these "tour cars" in Prague. Or if they still have their vintage Praga engines and running gear.  This one caught my eye because it has the same body style as a certain model car kit: the Heller Citroen Normandie, with the steel front and wooden rear.

It's a fake. Not a genuine survivor - but in fairness, pretty well put together.

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I just thought they where fun to post....

Me too. Making something that doesn't remotely resemble the original is full Palmer. Aston adding a V8 to make a fast pig "official" is even more pathetic. 

I guess this counts as a “Palmerism”...

A friend of mine owns one of these - a Python 2000 Diablo built by DNR Replicars. I’m pretty sure that they’re based on a Pontiac Fiero.

D41A00C2-911C-4909-A7A2-067E4884C6CC.jpeg.09497390f9e183156780fe84b3d0ead0.jpeg

Here’s a pic of a real Lambo Diablo for reference.

9BEEBAE1-D677-427E-89D3-17812355385C.jpeg.aec5a245ecbe154384daaf69cf360c5b.jpeg

17 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Juiceboxforyou » Blog Archive smart-eleanor-gt-50_4 - Juiceboxforyou

Smart ForTwo a lá Shelby GT500 Eleanor | Smart car, Smart fortwo ...

That’s...different... I got a good laugh out of the “GT 50%” on the side stripes. That reminds me of something...

Apologies for getting a bit off topic, but one of those Smart ‘Stangs would make a good pit car for this thing.

D8EA6AB5-0A90-42BF-BDCA-378FD19DA130.jpeg.d3939e330bee04b74e5a80b7e8b9fe55.jpeg

Edited by Hotrod 97
Said “these” instead of “those”