Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/1 Palmerisms

13 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Maybe if that GT50% was build from something like this?

and they’ve added more power since then!

Might be a good idea to start a new thread for all these posts that way off topic! ?

Perhaps instead of complaining, post some more? It's called fun. Threads wander a bit. Yes you're the OP. But intarweb thread patrol doesn't work great. Especially with bored worried people at home. 

Jag SS100

Jaguar SS 100 (1936) - picture 3 of 5

Panther Lima

No Reserve: 1981 Panther Lima 2.3 Turbo for sale on BaT Auctions ...

Edited by keyser

1 hour ago, keyser said:

SSK. 

Excalibur Roadster, Brooks Stevens did it, early ones best, Vette guts, I actually like these. 

Very Palmer, they couldn't even get the right number of exhaust downpipes (I have a feeling there are 4 on the other side as well)!

Nothing wrong with it as a fun car - I don't dislike them either - but just look at the original! Insanely brutal, no frills and utterly fabulous! Quite possibly faster than an Excalibur too, for as long as the blower was engaged...

Edited by DonW

Woolf Barnato's 1930 Speed Six Bentley with Gurney Nutting coachwork (the 'Blue Train' car):

A Look at Bentley Through the Ages – Robb Report

Almost acceptable replica by Racing Green Engineering, based on 1950s Bentley running gear:

image.jpeg.ecc13eed0dfe7b21f8450f85275ac99f.jpeg

Close but no cigar...

19 hours ago, Hotrod 97 said:

That’s one heckuva “sleeper”, if one could call it that ? I wonder what it’d run in the 1/4 mile.

Turns out the Acura they pulled the running gear from uses the 5x4.5" bolt pattern that Ford, Chrysler, and AMC used for years, so they threw a drag radial and Weld Wheel sized for a Mustang and/or Crown Vic on it......lets just say that was A TIGHT fit and would likely get sliced wide open under power!  There may be 1/4 mile action in it's future, but it was built to be a burnout/donut car!

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Fiberfab Avenger was a sorta GT40 knockoff...

The Best Avenger is still the Worst GT40

Not quite the same...

You have to admire the way they got every aspect of it just that bit wrong. Wonder what's happening under that funny squareish hump betwwen the headlights? And my favourite faux par that's not uncommon on vehicles of this ilk, the 'scoops' that don't actaully let air in or out. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Palmer  Laser 917. I tried to find a particularly horrible example, but they're all horrible. But heck, it has 4 wheels, 4 headlights, and gull wing doors. Close enough! ?

laser2sg2+49451443056869.jpg

Porsche 917: In praise of the fast car | Porsche Beaverton

Edited by Draggon

On 4/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Daddyfink said:

Then I scored a Alpine Electronics promo poster and I wish I still had that one! 

A dear friend of mine worked in the stereo business during that era and he scored me most of the ones that came into the store. Still got 'em stacked up in the same frame.

s-l1600.jpg

9520-1.jpg

9525.jpg

0bf94a57f526d9c295494821d1069fcd.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Draggon said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Palmer  Laser 917. I tried to find a particularly horrible example, but they're all horrible. But heck, it has 4 wheels, 4 headlights, and gull wing doors. Close enough! ?

laser2sg2+49451443056869.jpg

Hi Glenn

This was one of my first contenders in the original post, but the one you posted is slightly different and actually manages to be worse!

From my original post:

Porsche 917 replica anyone?

RE: Porsche 917 Turns 40 - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

Here's a real one:

image.jpeg.e7690bdd7982f448129826b1308fb3f5.jpeg

And here's a slightly better one by JW Automotive:

Stunning replica JW Automotive Porsche 917 - Drive 

Still missing that essential menace!

Cheers,

-Don.

Edited by DonW

7 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

A dear friend of mine worked in the stereo business during that era and he scored me most of the ones that came into the store. Still got 'em stacked up in the same frame.

s-l1600.jpg

9520-1.jpg

9525.jpg

0bf94a57f526d9c295494821d1069fcd.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

I used to ask the sales guy at a local Stereo Store here in San Diego to sell me the posters,but he said they where snapped up rather quickly by the employees and to just keep trying. At a certain point I moved along and they shut down.

Reader Submitted Ugliest Lambo Creation Ever! | Voiture, Motos

10 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

The 917,  the Countach, and half of the Ferrari's  look like they were designed by Palmer to begin with.  

I agree that some of the last Countach versions with the horrible bodykits missed the mark, and a few recent Ferraris but the 917? Nooo.

Here's an obscure Palmerism that manages to look better from some angles (at least from the side) than the car that inspired it.

A guy back in the seventies wanted a Lamborghini Espada but didn't have the money so commissioned this vehicle, later christened the Esporando, on a CV-8 Jensen chassis with Chrysler V8:

The Jensen Owners' Club • View topic - Esporando

image.jpeg.e18c058831c948e007726389cc7d1072.jpeg

The original:

image.jpeg.9d0d2e4abb4c8a80773c7aa9ad7cbac2.jpeg

14 minutes ago, DonW said:

I agree that some of the last Countach versions with the horrible bodykits missed the mark, and a few recent Ferraris but the 917? Nooo.

Here's an obscure Palmerism that manages to look better from some angles (at least from the side) than the car that inspired it.

A guy back in the seventies wanted a Lamborghini Espada but didn't have the money so commissioned this vehicle, later christened the Esporando, on a CV-8 Jensen chassis with Chrysler V8:

The Jensen Owners' Club • View topic - Esporando

image.jpeg.e18c058831c948e007726389cc7d1072.jpeg

The original:

image.jpeg.9d0d2e4abb4c8a80773c7aa9ad7cbac2.jpeg

I'm sure that car is still around, almost positive i've seen it in show coverage or a museum somewhere

35 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I'm sure that car is still around, almost positive i've seen it in show coverage or a museum somewhere

It may well be. It is mentioned in May's Classic & Sportscar, in a sidebar to an article about an H.R.G.