Model Cars Magazine Forum

Liquid glue

I use Plastistruct "Plastic Weld".

Love the stuff!

The cost of a 2oz. bottle is nearly identical to 1oz. of Tamiya and just a little more than 1oz. of Testors.

Mr. Hobby is generally a couple bucks more expensive for around an ounce.

A no brainer for me. ^_^

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I mostly use Tamiya extra thin quick set (because I’m a very impatient person), and I like the little brush on the lid. I have found it very “aggressive”. I mean that if I apply it to a very thin part that is under any stress at all., the part will snap. Example: trying to make a sharp curve with small half-round styrene to a body for a vinyl top molding.

I use Testor (MEK) routinely for styrene. If I need to bond ABS or other plastic, OR if I need something to cure quickly, I use Flex-I-File Plast-I-Weld, which is methylene chloride (and available at Hobby Lobby). The main problem with this stuff is that it dries SO quickly it can be a challenge to apply it before it dries. Usually you have to have two good-fitting parts you can hold together, and then let a drop of the hot stuff "wick" into the joint. I only use it where I really need to. 

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Plastistruct Plastic Weld is a MEK based product.

Steve

The reason I stated what I did was because I looked at the label on my bottle.

PlastructPlasticWeld.jpg.7c8eec06fc66b63e96c3515a9ed28afd.jpg

My Plastic Weld doesn't smell anything like MEK (I know the smell from sniffing Testors Liquid Cement, and the quart-size can of MEK I have in my workshop.  Just kidding - I don't sniff this stuff, but I do what MEK smells like. :D

Anyway, as you can see that the label mentions no MEK either.  But granted, the bottle is at least 15 years old - maybe Plastuct changed their Plastic Weld Formula?

2 hours ago, peteski said:

The reason I stated what I did was because I looked at the label on my bottle.

My Plastic Weld doesn't smell anything like MEK (I know the smell from sniffing Testors Liquid Cement, and the quart-size can of MEK I have in my workshop.  Just kidding - I don't sniff this stuff, but I do what MEK smells like. :D

Anyway, as you can see that the label mentions no MEK either.  But granted, the bottle is at least 15 years old - maybe Plastuct changed their Plastic Weld Formula?

I just got this bottle in the mail last Friday.

image.jpeg.5d8766b73a7da1ce196a2c7f5a53e110.jpeg

Steve

Since we both have proof of what we stated, then obviously Plastuct changed their formula.  :D

And for the cheapskates in us, MEK can be purchased at hardware stores in large quantities. I bought  a quart container and it is much more economical than buying those expensive tiny hobby bottles of glue.  I think MEK might be banned in some States in the U.S. but I found it in my  hardware store in Mass.

Note the orange bottle front label also states it bonds "Plastruct ABS".

This was the source of the confusion in an earlier liquid glue thread.

"Plastruct ABS" is not, in my experience, as solvent resistant as what are commonly referred to as "engineering grades" of ABS that many consumer products are made from.

The original poster in that particular thread was wanting to repair the door on a microwave, and I recommended Plastruct's Bondene (methylene chloride) for that application, as it's labeling includes generic ABS.

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Note the orange bottle front label also states it bonds "Plastruct ABS".

This was the source of the confusion in an earlier liquid glue thread.

"Plastruct ABS" is not, in my experience, as solvent resistant as what are commonly referred to as "engineering grades" of ABS that many consumer products are made from.

The original poster in that particular thread was wanting to repair the door on a microwave, and I recommended Plastruct's Bondene (methylene chloride) for that application, as it's labeling includes generic ABS.

Methylene Chloride is a very potent solvent for *ANY* type of Polystyrene and acrylic.  I still have *REALLY* hard time believing that it would not instantly melt any formulation of ABS.

And my 16-year-old bottle of Plastuct Bondene lists Dichloromethane (not MEK) as it's contents.  I can take a photo if you don't believe me.   And neither Dichloromethane, nor MEK are anywhere as potent as Methylene Chloride.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Methylene Chloride is a very potent solvent for *ANY* type of Polystyrene and acrylic.  I still have *REALLY* hard time believing that it would not instantly melt any formulation of ABS.

And my 16-year-old bottle of Plastuct Bondene lists Dichloromethane (not MEK) as it's contents.  I can take a photo if you don't believe me.   And neither Dichloromethane, nor MEK are anywhere as potent as Methylene Chloride.

Here we go again. 

Methylene chloride IS dichloromethane. Same thing. CH2Cl2      Bondene.  WHITE BOTTLE. Reasonably effective on garden variety ABS. Labeled as such.

CHEMICAL REFERENCE:    https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Dichloromethane

Stronger solvent than MEK

MEK is Plastruct's Plastic Weld.   ORANGE BOTTLE. Works on Plastruct's wimpier version of ABS. Labeled as such.

Which is what I said last time (other than the reference to Plastruct's version of ABS).

NOTE: ABS FORMULATIONS HAVE VARYING DEGREES OF SOLVENT RESISTANCE. SOLVENT "ADHESIVES" ALSO HAVE VARYING DEGREES OF CONCENTRATION OF THE PRIMARY SOLVENT IN THE COMMERCIAL MIXTURE, WHICH MAY CONTAIN INACTIVE DILUENTS. GREATER OR LESSER CONCENTRATIONS OF THE PRIMARY SOLVENT WILL HAVE A MARKED EFFECT ON THE STRENGTH OF THE "ADHESIVE" AND ITS ABILITY TO SOFTEN WHAT IT'S APPLIED TO.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

47 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here we go again. 

Methylene chloride IS dichloromethane. Same thing. CH2Cl2      Bondene.  WHITE BOTTLE. Reasonably effective on garden variety ABS. Labeled as such.

CHEMICAL REFERENCE:    https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Dichloromethane

Stronger solvent than MEK

MEK is Plastruct's Plastic Weld.   ORANGE BOTTLE. Works on Plastruct's wimpier version of ABS. Labeled as such.

Which is what I said last time (other than the reference to Plastruct's version of ABS).

NOTE: ABS FORMULATIONS HAVE VARYING DEGREES OF SOLVENT RESISTANCE. SOLVENT "ADHESIVES" ALSO HAVE VARYING DEGREES OF CONCENTRATION OF THE PRIMARY SOLVENT IN THE COMMERCIAL MIXTURE, WHICH MAY CONTAIN INACTIVE DILUENTS. GREATER OR LESSER CONCENTRATIONS OF THE PRIMARY SOLVENT WILL HAVE A MARKED EFFECT ON THE STRENGTH OF THE "ADHESIVE" AND ITS ABILITY TO SOFTEN WHAT IT'S APPLIED TO.

I misunderstood your post - I thought you were *NOT* recommending Plastruct Bondene as adhesive for the "engineering grade" ABS.  I think we are on the same page now.

Been using Weld-on for years.  Either 3 or 4. Compared to what you guys are talking about it is dirt cheap.  $25 a quart!  Not an ounce, a quart.  You can buy sizes down a quarter of a pint(4oz) for $6 full retail.  What I did was buy one of the small cans years ago and that is what I use on my bench.  Then I refill it from a quart sized can.  I do this because one time I left the lid off and it was gone overnight.  The difference is that 4 is thinner and quicker drying that 3.  I get it at my local pastices fabricating store but it is available in many places.   

Quart Weld-on 4™ Acrylic Cement