Model Cars Magazine Forum

New topic in Diecast and Resin models

DonW

Hi Dave

I wanted to start a new topic in 'Diecast and Resin models' but this section along with 'Big Boyz', 'Drag Racing' and 'Truck Parts' is greyed out in the drop-down list of forums to choose:

Is anyone else experiencing this or has reported it?

Cheers,

-Don.

image.png.2b1b54435858a24b8524ed9d0ba6a597.png

Edited by DonW

11 hours ago, Xingu said:

They are being merged into the regular model car and truck sections. If it is a new topic, start it there. You should be able to view and respond to existing topics.

I think its a mistake to merge/move things like reviews of diecasts into model cars.  I have found there are enough "builders" that care nothing about diecasts so it would be more helpful to have them remain in their own category.

15 hours ago, DonW said:

Hi Dave

I wanted to start a new topic in 'Diecast and Resin models' but this section along with 'Big Boyz', 'Drag Racing' and 'Truck Parts' is greyed out in the drop-down list of forums to choose:

Is anyone else experiencing this or has reported it?

Cheers,

-Don.

image.png.2b1b54435858a24b8524ed9d0ba6a597.png

I am too...............cannot get in at all.

5 hours ago, djflyer said:

I think its a mistake to merge/move things like reviews of diecasts into model cars.  I have found there are enough "builders" that care nothing about diecasts so it would be more helpful to have them remain in their own category.

I have already been questioning this and have asked the other mods for their opinions.

6 hours ago, djflyer said:

I agree, but it's mostly selfishly.   My collection is mostly going towards diecasts and I loved having a special section to look at every day.  Yes there were only less than 10 of us posting there regularly.   But now all my stuff is scattered to the winds.   I can't even find the stuff we were talking about.   And as DJ said, there are a lot of builders who are going not going to care about diecasts.  Or even worse, to complain about diecast not being real models.  Maybe public outcry will bring it back to it's own special section.   

Now what I would LIKE to see is diecasts in their own section in the MODEL CARS section.   Most folks seem to accept the resincast, but show them a $10 Welly diecast with full detail and internally hinged (not dogleg) opening doors and they say it's not a model becasue we didn't build it with our own hands.   Never mind any work we may put into it to to detail or repair (if bought broken, like Franklin or Danbury Mint).   We'll see.  Heck I'm not sure where to post up.  I sure don't want to post in a section where my model gets panned, no matter how nice it might be.  At least in our own little world, we were all on the same page, literally.  We were there for diecast specific information, be it builds, conversions, repairs, reviews, whatever.   

Please give some serious consideration to having a diecast specific section.  

Thanks

Randy

10 minutes ago, randyc said:

I agree, but it's mostly selfishly.   My collection is mostly going towards diecasts and I loved having a special section to look at every day.  Yes there were only less than 10 of us posting there regularly.   But now all my stuff is scattered to the winds.   I can't even find the stuff we were talking about.   And as DJ said, there are a lot of builders who are going not going to care about diecasts.  Or even worse, to complain about diecast not being real models.  Maybe public outcry will bring it back to it's own special section.   

Now what I would LIKE to see is diecasts in their own section in the MODEL CARS section.   Most folks seem to accept the resincast, but show them a $10 Welly diecast with full detail and internally hinged (not dogleg) opening doors and they say it's not a model becasue we didn't build it with our own hands.   Never mind any work we may put into it to to detail or repair (if bought broken, like Franklin or Danbury Mint).   We'll see.  Heck I'm not sure where to post up.  I sure don't want to post in a section where my model gets panned, no matter how nice it might be.  At least in our own little world, we were all on the same page, literally.  We were there for diecast specific information, be it builds, conversions, repairs, reviews, whatever.   

Please give some serious consideration to having a diecast specific section.  

Thanks

Randy

+1 on everything he said. 

"Diecast" covers several different worlds. One is the high-end stuff like Franklin and Danbury Mint. Another is the moderately priced stuff, but in 1/18, a scale most here really don't/relate to. Another is 1/43 kits, again, not of much interest to mainstream car modelers. Another is the 1/64 (and similar) "Hot Wheels" sized cars (and Matchbox, Dinky, etc.) 

And then there are the 1/24-1/25 diecast cars of moderate (or even sometimes downright cheap!) price. In many cases these are attractive because they are of subjects that would be of interest to "mainstream" car modelers, but have never been kitted in plastic (or are long OOP and now very expensive). Some of us (me, Randy, Gramps, Geno, and a few more) really enjoy MODELING on these things. Sometimes this involves only a few minor changes and details, other times we rebuild them completely including painting and customizing. 

Personally, I like having the separate Diecast section. But I also enjoy posting my diecasts in the "regular" section if they're 1/24-1/25 and of subjects I think many here would be interested in. 

I agree wholeheartedly with Randy and Snake about keeping diecast as a separate category.  As Snake noted there is a fairly active group  of us who while might not be actively building anymore for various reasons we would appreciate our own category.

By the way, we do appreciate the work the moderators dedicate to the forum to keep it running smoothly.

Amen. Per the above posts let’s keep a diecast section... but when someone is using a diecast as the basis for a detailed project it’s now a model with a metal body, allow  that into the model categories. Give people some leeway with their own judgment.

58 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Amen. Per the above posts let’s keep a diecast section... but when someone is using a diecast as the basis for a detailed project it’s now a model with a metal body, allow  that into the model categories. Give people some leeway with their own judgment.

YES! 

Thanks for the support.  I think a lot of my friends on the diecast section.  We seem to be pretty tight and welcoming as well.   We all support each other's builds and it gives us a place to look at diecasts specifically.   I don;t mind metal builds being in the main section, but I also like our specail area for just diecasts.

I don't know where the slots would go, but a good conversion in either direction, slot to static or static to slot are always interesting.  Especially if it's a build of something you can't get in a kit.  

7 hours ago, Xingu said:

I have already been questioning this and have asked the other mods for their opinions.

Thanks for looking into this and I have to agree with all the other posts about handling diecasts.  We all appreciate the hard work you guys do in keeping the forum going.

Michael,

As I said in a new topic I posted, the forum changes are warranted and commendable. 

I think diecast deserves its own category since that is where a lot of the volume appears to be headed.  For example, Auto World 1/18th scale has quite a variety of cars.  Brooklin's 1/43 line, though they aren't cheap, has a good following. 

I think a lot of the 1/24 and 1/25 diecast are essentially the same size, so that could be another sub-category.  A lot of these are kits that have pre-painted bodies.  I guess I would also include the oddball 1/27 scale such as the F150 and Colorado. 

Finally, and I asked for this before, a sub-category on the old slush cast promos from National Products (1934-1949), Master Caster (1948-1955), AMT (1948 Ford Fordor), and Banthrico (1949-1956) would allow people to post restoration tips on these - even though they aren't kits.

Edited by Motor City
cast

I think all this brings up the point of what is model days.  IPMS allows figures which are usually metal but the name of the club still has Plastic in it.  The Testors "diecast" kits are pre-painted but like most diecasts have a plastic interior but you would normally paint the engine etc. just like a plastic kit and then assemble it.  Of course there are now resin "modes in many scales that are not what we think of as a resin model instead of ones made by a caster that are usually a complete kit or use parts from an existing plastic kit.  In the end they are all models but it would make sense to me to put the of the store shelf resin and diecast models (not kit based) in a separate category unless they have been significantly modified by the "builder."

I really don't see why the material a model kit is made of matters. Metal or plastic. All plastics (including Polystyrene or ABS which are generally used for model kits) are all resins. Same with 3D printed materials. As long as the model came in pieces (or was disassembled and modified in some way), then reassembled, that qualifies it as a model kit. Otherwise it is a "collectible".

But then the techniques used on plastic model kits are usually different than what is done with diecast models. That is where the separation should be (in work in progress).

Waiting for the final decision, but I think Diecast will get it's own section back. If it is just photos of a store bought, complete vehicle then it will go there. If there are extensive modifications/conversion it can go into the Workbench area to showcase the work that went into it. Then the finished conversion could go in the Under Glass section.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

I really don't see why the material a model kit is made of matters. Metal or plastic. All plastics (including Polystyrene or ABS which are generally used for model kits) are all resins. Same with 3D printed materials. As long as the model came in pieces (or was disassembled and modified in some way), then reassembled, that qualifies it as a model kit. Otherwise it is a "collectible".

But then the techniques used on plastic model kits are usually different than what is done with diecast models. That is where the separation should be (in work in progress).

There it is.   The beginnings of separation into what constitutes a "model car" or "collectible".     The name of this forum and magazine is MODEL CAR MAGAZINE.   Not Model KIT Magazine.   For years, I held that preassembled diecasts were not "real" models as so many still do.  However, while they are not assembled by the purchaser, they are still scale MODELS, replicas in the definition of word.  So to avoid all the negative commenting that diecast doesn't count, I would prefer it to be left as it was.  Yes, we don't build our latest acquisitions, but we can and do appreciate the models.  Where else you going to get a nearly dead nuts perfect Hirohata Mercury?  That's the prime example of what got me into collecting diecasts.   And now I can get cars I can't get plastic of.    Where can I get a 55 or 56 Packard Caribbean?  48 Chrysler Town & Country?  I've buit most every kit that has been released and reissued since 1986.   THe diecasts have given me a whole new set of cars to admire and appreciate.   And there are others on here that feel that way.   And I have both versions of some cars. 

I can get a really nice replica of something for about the same price as a kit and paints and detail parts.   And it's built to a level that I can achieve, but with way less stress.  I don't care a thing about adding plug wires anymore.   More power to those of you that do.   I admire you for it because I used to do that and know how much work it can be.  But my 55 Chevy convertible has wires, carb linkage, opening doors, hood with scissor hinges, trunk, tilting continental kit.   Really shiny paint.  Looks great on the shelf with my Revell 55 that has way less detail.   Plastic kit folks should really look at some of the later Mint diecasts to see the level of detail in the cars that were probably made hundreds per day.  Those assembly line folks were cranking out thousands of models with details that folks here are asking about in the "how to" sections constantly.

Unfortunately, there are those on here that feel that these replicas have no place along side their treasured plastic kits.  I understand that feeling as well, having had it for years myself.  But I still hope that the diecast section will make a return in its own section.