Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's Bobby Allison Gatorade "Flat Nose" Monte Carlo

Art Laski

Salvino's JR Models has a Box Stock Build off going on FaceBook on their page, where you have to build one of their models out of the box using their decals also. Since, I have been a dealer for Salvino's since they launched, carrying their products at ScaleProShop.com, I thought I would jump in with their latest release. This is the "Bobby Allison Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1982 Race Winner", which is a Digard Gatorade car, similar to the Buick Regal they also campaigned. It's the "flat nose" car, which has not been previously released. This is a Monogram 1/24 kit that was reworked by Salvino's, that was previouly issued with the SS nose, which is also included in the kit. Kits available at ScaleProShop.com.

bobbyallisonscaled-vi.jpg

Started with the engine...

PhotoApr0590635PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr0590658PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr0590725PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr0590843PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr09122332PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr09122410PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr09122417PM-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

46 minutes ago, james460 said:

nice start I'm doing that car also. Directions say red interior but pic's I have looks to be black are gray. I'm thinking the red is the Buick. Any help would be appreciated. Again great start.

There were no rules about chassis color in the 1980's. (today there is) Di Guard  racing was not a huge team like many today. They bought cars and built a few. red, black and gray would all be correct. If you want to build a car as it was at a certain race....you will need to hunt photos from the race. Only a few teams had a single color for chassis in that era. 

16 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Salvino's JR Models has a Box Stock Build off going on FaceBook on their page, where you have to build one of their models out of the box using their decals also. Since, I have been a dealer for Salvino's since they launched, carrying their products at ScaleProShop.com, I thought I would jump in with their latest release. This is the "Bobby Allison Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1982 Race Winner", which is a Digard Gatorade car, similar to the Buick Regal they also campaigned. It's the "flat nose" car, which has not been previously released. This is a Monogram 1/24 kit that was reworked by Salvino's, that was previouly issued with the SS nose, which is also included in the kit. Kits available at ScaleProShop.com.

Started with the engine...

PhotoApr09122332PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr09122410PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr09122417PM-vi.jpg

Great job on those headers. Seems like I read an article in a model magazine years ago about modifying the headers into conventional four into one style because not many NASCAR GM teams ever ran the 180° headers. I believe they were also declared illegal soon after they came into use. I've always wondered what teams gave Monogram access to copy the chassis, engines and bodies they used in their NASCAR kits. They were so advanced over the previously released MPC kits from the '70s. 

On 4/20/2020 at 5:13 AM, james460 said:

nice start I'm doing that car also. Directions say red interior but pic's I have looks to be black are gray. I'm thinking the red is the Buick. Any help would be appreciated. Again great start.

Thanks, James! I suspect the directions were just not updated correctly. All references I found, and there aren't many, seem to indicate the chassis and interior was black, even for the Digard Buick.

15 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Great job on those headers. Seems like I read an article in a model magazine years ago about modifying the headers into conventional four into one style because not many NASCAR GM teams ever ran the 180° headers. I believe they were also declared illegal soon after they came into use. I've always wondered what teams gave Monogram access to copy the chassis, engines and bodies they used in their NASCAR kits. They were so advanced over the previously released MPC kits from the '70s. 

Thanks, Tim!

Thanks, John! I appreciate you looking in...

Here's my next update...

The chassis came together easily. 

PhotoApr0551348PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr17103703PM2-vi.jpg
PhotoApr17103735PM2-vi.jpg
PhotoApr17103740PM-vi.jpg

All the pieces ready to go in the chassis...
PhotoApr17103957PM2-vi.jpg

The dash had great molded in gauge detail, so I thought I would take a crack at painting it instead of using the decals.
PhotoApr1240513PM-vi.jpg

6 hours ago, james460 said:

Wasn't it a Jr. Johnson car that was used to reproduce the Monogram car.

JJ's 1981 Buick was used for the Buck kit.

FYI the Banjo Matthews built Thunderbird was used for the #9, 15 kits. It was the car in Stroker Ace movie....not a real Cup car and why errors got into production kit. 

GREAT dash Art!

Great job Art. The dash looks really good. I've tried painting tiny areas like that and they always need a touch up. Not so with yours. I would be frustrated that I couldn't at least add plug wires to a car. Hope to see more updates soon.

With the amount of rain I've seen CA getting this spring, have you found it hard to paint with airbrush or rattle can?

Dave

Amazing work Mr. Laski!!  How in Heavens name do you paint the numbers and the names on the gauges??  There is no way my hands are are steady enough to do that, and haven't been for 30 years.  Same with the eyesight to see it!  Impressive work sir!!

On 4/21/2020 at 2:36 PM, gks1964 said:

This is looking REALLY GOOD!!

Thanks, Gerald!

17 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Great job Art. The dash looks really good. I've tried painting tiny areas like that and they always need a touch up. Not so with yours. I would be frustrated that I couldn't at least add plug wires to a car. Hope to see more updates soon.

With the amount of rain I've seen CA getting this spring, have you found it hard to paint with airbrush or rattle can?

Dave

Appreciate it, Dave! I paint inside in the garage, so the weather hasn;t been much of a factor, but we have had a lot of rain. It dried up just in time to paint the body the last couple of days. Pics soon...