Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's Bobby Allison Gatorade "Flat Nose" Monte Carlo

Art Laski

2 hours ago, sflam123 said:

Amazing work Mr. Laski!!  How in Heavens name do you paint the numbers and the names on the gauges??  There is no way my hands are are steady enough to do that, and haven't been for 30 years.  Same with the eyesight to see it!  Impressive work sir!!

Stephen, let me assure you, I did not hand paint that! The gauges had all of that detail molded in, in white plastic. So all I had to do after I sprayed it black was scrape it, albeit with a LOT of magnification, off the molded detail, and paint the tach needle. Then I hit the bezels with a Molotow pen and filled it with Liquid Glass. Thanks for the comments!

8 hours ago, mikemopar70 said:

Wow! it's already looking really good, your dash gauges are awesome.

What did you use for those lenses? epoxy?

And are the tires made from rubber on this kit?

Mike, thanks! I used Liquid Glass on the gauges. I sell it at ScaleProShop.com. It's great for stuff like this. Water soluable, can be thinned with water, and dries crystal clear and strong. Check it out HERE.

The tires are rubber, and maybe just a tad too soft. It's hard to reshape them, which they need a little of, but on the plus side, it's easy to make them look like race-worn tires.

Here's the chassis with all the parts in it.

PhotoApr1980608PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr1980622PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr1980633PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr1980648PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr1980443PM-vi.jpg
PhotoApr1980458PM-vi.jpg

...And the tires. The chrome on the wheels was exquisite. They're real chrome,and not at all like kit chrome, and this kit was the first with a new vendor with even better chrome than their previous kits. The only problem was, I had to tone it down to have any sense of realism for this genre. They would have been perfect for a hot rod.

PhotoApr2194041PM-vi.jpg

4 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Mike, thanks! I used Liquid Glass on the gauges. I sell it at ScaleProShop.com. It's great for stuff like this. Water soluable, can be thinned with water, and dries crystal clear and strong. Check it out HERE.

The tires are rubber, and maybe just a tad too soft. It's hard to reshape them, which they need a little of, but on the plus side, it's easy to make them look like race-worn tires.

Thank you!

Fantastic Mr Laski! I’m trying a NASCAR also. First one and out of box. I’m not a decal guy because I’m not very good with them. But I got out of my comfort zone and trying it. I learned a lot watching this build. Thank you for the info. Beautiful build sir. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, CabDriver said:

Absolutely stunning build - really really impressive!

Jim, thanks! Sorry for the late response, but after I posted Under Glass, I forgot to check this thread. I really do appreciate the comments!

On 5/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, Brudda said:

Fantastic Mr Laski! I’m trying a NASCAR also. First one and out of box. I’m not a decal guy because I’m not very good with them. But I got out of my comfort zone and trying it. I learned a lot watching this build. Thank you for the info. Beautiful build sir. 

Hey Bruce! Thank you. There's a lot to go wrong with the big decals, that's for sure. Since you posted this a couple of months ago, I need to look for your build. Hopefully it's online.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:17 PM, Kmidd65 said:

Really nice, those headers are always a chore to get right...  Turned out great!

Appreciate it!