Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's Bobby Allison Gatorade "Flat Nose" Monte Carlo

Art Laski

On 7/23/2020 at 10:18 AM, Goodwrench3 said:

Beautiful !!!

I had a couple questions:

1)  What did you paint the headers and exhaust pipes with ?    It looks fantastic.

2)   Are the Salvinos kits from the original Monogram molds ?   

Thanks!

Hey Jeff, thanks!

1. The headers were painted with different shades of Alclad II metalizers and then some Alclad transparent blue, hot sepia and smoke. And lastly, dullcote.

2. Not all of them. They have several that are all-new designs, like the older Monte Carlos and Oldmobiles, and they are 1/25 scale. The 1/24 scale kits like this one are the old Monogram molds, with some additions here and there. The nose on this one is new and was not available from Monogram.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:14 AM, mikemopar70 said:

Wow! it's already looking really good, your dash gauges are awesome.

What did you use for those lenses? epoxy?

And are the tires made from rubber on this kit?

Thanks for the comments! The lenses are Liquid Glass. I have it available in my store HERE. I love the stuff. It's water soluble, and dries fairly fast and crystal clear. I love it for gauges more so than epoxy because it doesn't yellow.

The tires are rubber, yes. Maybe a little too soft.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:22 AM, Radar43 said:

Nice build, Great job.  How did you do the weathering on the tires? 

Howard, I shot them with Testors lacquer dullcote and applied a little color from a Tamiya weathering kit to the lettering.

15 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Howard, I shot them with Testors lacquer dullcote and applied a little color from a Tamiya weathering kit to the lettering.

Art, Thank You for the information.  I`m going to try this technique. 

2 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

What did you end up using to glue the chrome parts  ?

This stuff is "real" chrome -- very hard and not stuff you can easily scrape off before gluing.

Thanks!

Hi Jeff, I just used Zap-a-Gap Medium CA.

Art, fantastic job on a scheme I always thought was sharp.  Great info on how to correct the issues on the car.  I have a question about the tire decals.  Are they aftermarket or are they in the kit?  I have 5 cars from this era I'm looking to do and can' t seem to find this style of Goodyear decal.  Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

Art, fantastic job on a scheme I always thought was sharp.  Great info on how to correct the issues on the car.  I have a question about the tire decals.  Are they aftermarket or are they in the kit?  I have 5 cars from this era I'm looking to do and can' t seem to find this style of Goodyear decal.  Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark, thanks for the nice comments. The tire decals on this one came in the kit. You might check out Indycals.net. They have several tire decals and, although they aren't specifically NASCAR decals, they might have something that works.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, Art Laski said:

Hi Jeff, I just used Zap-a-Gap Medium CA.

Thank you !   I was thinking either that or 2-part epoxy.   On the Salvinos JR Facebook page Shoe-goo was recommended.

Also -- where did you find that oil filter decal  ?    Nice touch !!    I'd like to find a AC-Delco filter decal -- I'm building the Buick.  Like Chuck Yaeger always said: "they don't just fit -- they match !"  ?

12 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Hi Mark, thanks for the nice comments. The tire decals on this one came in the kit. You might check out Indycals.net. They have several tire decals and, although they aren't specifically NASCAR decals, they might have something that works.

Thanks Art.  I ordered a set to see if they will look right.

6 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Thank you !   I was thinking either that or 2-part epoxy.   On the Salvinos JR Facebook page Shoe-goo was recommended.

Also -- where did you find that oil filter decal  ?    Nice touch !!    I'd like to find a AC-Delco filter decal -- I'm building the Buick.  Like Chuck Yaeger always said: "they don't just fit -- they match !"  ?

Jeff, I made those decals several years ago when I was building a replica Corvette. I wanted a realistic filter, not just one with a logo on it, which is not how they actually are. So I copied the real verbiage from the filter that was used back in the day (would have been '72 on that project), but they look good on any build. If you go with an AC Delco filter that's white, then you could make a convincing inkjet decal on clear paper at home and it would look pretty good.