Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors paint thinning for airbrush

25 minutes ago, John Pol said:

thin with laquer thinner try 50 mix first stir it with a stick or toothpick and see if it drips off the toothpick or whatever you use to stir it that tells to that it is thin enough run it about 25 to 30 PSI

Yup. 

36 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

Just a word of warning. Lacquer thinner works most of the time, but not all the time. I used it in the square bottle of "Sublime" green, and it turned it into cottage cheese.

I'll bet that bottle was acrylic, not enamel. Did the same thing a couple decades ago with a bottle of Poly-Scale. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I'll bet that bottle was acrylic, not enamel. Did the same thing a couple decades ago with a bottle of Poly-Scale. 

Not necessarily. There are many different lacquer thinner formulas out there (used by different manufacturers). Some might contain some incompatible solvent.  It ls always best to use a thinner specifically made for the brand of paint being used.  Generic lacquer thinner can be used, but never ever thin the entire bottle - just thin the amount which will be immediately used for the project you are working on (or even just for that specific airbrushing session).

I have made a mistake of thinning solvent-based (not water-based acrylic) paint with lacquer thinner and it gelled after few months when I wanted to use it again.

31 minutes ago, peteski said:

Not necessarily. There are many different lacquer thinner formulas out there (used by different manufacturers). Some might contain some incompatible solvent.  It ls always best to use a thinner specifically made for the brand of paint being used.  Generic lacquer thinner can be used, but never ever thin the entire bottle - just thin the amount which will be immediately used for the project you are working on (or even just for that specific airbrushing session).

I have made a mistake of thinning solvent-based (not water-based acrylic) paint with lacquer thinner and it gelled after few months when I wanted to use it again.

I've never had that problem with cheap lacquer thinner and enamels. 

I HAVE had EXACTLY that problem, though, when thinning with naphtha (lighter fluid). Works great, flows out smooth, dries fast and hard, but any leftover turns to jello in about a week. 

Last year I used some MM enamel I thinned with Walmart lacquer thinner over a decade ago, and it was as good as it was the day I mixed it. 

10 hours ago, John Pol said:

thin with laquer thinner try 50 mix first stir it with a stick or toothpick and see if it drips off the toothpick or whatever you use to stir it that tells to that it is thin enough run it about 25 to 30 PSI

Agreed. I always thinned it to the consistency of milk or half and half, which fits John Pol's description. Somewhere between 20 and 30 PSI...

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've never had that problem with cheap lacquer thinner and enamels. 

I HAVE had EXACTLY that problem, though, when thinning with naphtha (lighter fluid). Works great, flows out smooth, dries fast and hard, but any leftover turns to jello in about a week. 

Last year I used some MM enamel I thinned with Walmart lacquer thinner over a decade ago, and it was as good as it was the day I mixed it. 

Again, it's the incompatibility between the paint's and the thinner's chemistry. I rather be safe than sorry, and only thin what I will use immediately, or use the thinner dedicated for that paint.

Edited by peteski

• 3 months later...

The video here  using the testors $1.89 enamel and laquer thinner looks about as easy as can be.  The finish is really impressive and wow, what a cheap paint job.  But of course, with my luck I'm sure to screw it up LOL.  

Wondering if anyone else has done this??

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

The video here  using the testors $1.89 enamel and laquer thinner looks about as easy as can be.  The finish is really impressive and wow, what a cheap paint job.  But of course, with my luck I'm sure to screw it up LOL.  

Wondering if anyone else has done this??

Donn Yost:

http://oldmansmodels.com/id106.html

And, thanks to watching some of his videos on his YouTube, me too. ?  I’ve only tried this technique with the enamel clear over acrylics - but it works great for me!

AD3A19AA-BA7B-48D1-B317-EFE481045D30.thumb.jpeg.82fd1e98ec9fb832c18a564fa0d51464.jpeg

CFDC674D-DEEB-44D2-BE21-BC2EBBA6A132.thumb.jpeg.5d86d9bb78756df70cc91b8a6cd011ce.jpeg

Edited by CabDriver

I've been using the "Lone Wolf" paint method for years. Decades. In fact, I think I've been using it almost a decade longer than he has. B):lol: It works VERY well. B)

I have to polish out to get that "showcar shine," but that's not a big deal, all part of the fun. If Don can do it without polishing, good for him, but I usually can't. 

I also occasionally use a variation: Instead of lac thinner, if I want a nice "factory paint" shine (not a "showcar shine") without rubbing out, I'll thin with naphtha (lighter fluid). The main downside to this is that you absolutely cannot mix/thin more of the stuff than you'll use in the next few days, as it will turn to jello in a week or so. Paint I've thinned with lac thinner has stayed perfectly usable for a decade or more. B)