Model Cars Magazine Forum

The issues with scratch building

Pete, I was asking to confirm the details of naphtha and mineral spirits being the same thing. From what I see, they can be the same thing sometimes but not always. But the lighter fluid is a good substitute and easily available here. Also from the wikipedia page, it says coleman camp fuel is naphtha also. Again, readily available.

thanks!

4 hours ago, IbuildScaleModels said:

Pete, I was asking to confirm the details of naphtha and mineral spirits being the same thing. From what I see, they can be the same thing sometimes but not always. But the lighter fluid is a good substitute and easily available here. Also from the wikipedia page, it says coleman camp fuel is naphtha also. Again, readily available.

thanks!

Yes, all those products are petroleum-based (they call it "mineral"). They are crude oil derivatives.  I'm not sure what you mean by "they can be the same thing sometimes but not always".  They all are derived from crude oil.  Naphtha is sometimes present in some lacquer thinners or automotive lacquer reducers.

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:10 PM, Pete J. said:

....and be prepared for sticker shock.  It ain't cheap

Ren Shape or at least the slab I have, and guard with my life, is basically polyester filler, AKA bondo, that is cast in a slab.  No grain no bubbles.  You may find smaller pieces but the one I lucked into is 2" thick X 24"X48". I was able to get mine when the company I worked for went out of business and auctioned off their materials.  Sands beautifully and in thinner strips it bends well.  You can do laminated curves with it like bent-wood.1483985227_Bugattityp-102SLRConcpetWIP-02.jpg.dee60732d8cd8800a6c8bd76439a29c5.jpg

4 hours ago, Big John said:

Ren Shape or at least the slab I have, and guard with my life, is basically polyester filler, AKA bondo, that is cast in a slab.  No grain no bubbles.  You may find smaller pieces but the one I lucked into is 2" thick X 24"X48". I was able to get mine when the company I worked for went out of business and auctioned off their materials.  Sands beautifully and in thinner strips it bends well.  You can do laminated curves with it like bent-wood.

I like that. Very cool project!

I tried my first scratchbuild project a couple years ago, when I found myself bored with out-of-the-box builds. And, I was VERY inspired by those talented builders, especially Charlie Rowley, who I saw right here on these forums, as well as at shows such as NNL East. I had always assumed that dreams of building some of this stuff was just that, dreams. But, I figured, nothing ventured, nothing gained. So, I gave it a go, and have built a Galion roller, Galion hydraulic crane, detachable gooseneck lowboy, a Barber Greene paver, and am now working on a Link Belt 82 ton crane. Each project has been a few steps more away from my comfort zone. So far, I have pretty much stayed with plastic, and a few aluminum or brass tubing shapes, as well as several resin castings from reputable suppliers. I have found that Evergreen has pretty much allowed me to do anything I want. I hope to progress to soldering brass someday as well as making my own resin molds for various parts, as these skills will greatly extend the possibilities for various builds. It is a great joy to build something that I have never seen before in 1/25 scale. I tend to build trucks and construction equipment, based upon those I worked with before I retired from the construction industry. I also tend to be a hoarder.......................if I see something that I feel MAY be able to be re-purposed in a build, some day..............it goes into a box of goodies. Scratchbuilding has allowed me to take a great hobby that I have enjoyed for over 55 years, and bring it to a level FAR above anything I imagined as possible. Give it a try! You never know what you can do until you attempt it. I have not yet hit a wall where I could not figure something out, or get advice from a fellow builder. Nothing is impossible!

Thanks Straightliner! My 'What if I could work with Jean Bugatti'  Based on the AutoRail engines and body aero package.  I've got to get back on the bench and make some progress.

Here are a couple of other uses for the ren shape and why I never toss out any but the smallest scraps.

Ren Shape WIP.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, Big John said:

Ren Shape or at least the slab I have, and guard with my life, is basically polyester filler, AKA bondo, that is cast in a slab.  No grain no bubbles.  You may find smaller pieces but the one I lucked into is 2" thick X 24"X48". I was able to get mine when the company I worked for went out of business and auctioned off their materials.  Sands beautifully and in thinner strips it bends well.  You can do laminated curves with it like bent-wood.1483985227_Bugattityp-102SLRConcpetWIP-02.jpg.dee60732d8cd8800a6c8bd76439a29c5.jpg

Very cool LSR vehicle and projections to work from. Be sure to post more photos as it progresses.

10 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I started to Google Ren Shape just now and there seems to be several types with different numbers. Which type do you recommend?

The cheaper the product the dustier and softer it is , with my experience using it. I don't like the cheaper version because it messes with me when We used it at work. 

This is the place we purchased the brand we used. (Not Ren-Shape brand name as the is the Freemans supply product I believe.)  http://www.bp-ind.com/modeling---tooling-boards.html

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

The cheaper the product the dustier and softer it is , with my experience using it. I don't like the cheaper version because it messes with me when We used it at work. 

This is the place we purchased the brand we used. (Not Ren-Shape brand name as the is the Freemans supply product I believe.)  http://www.bp-ind.com/modeling---tooling-boards.html

Their ad is no help to someone like with no knowledge of the terms listed. What hardness is the material You use?

I have used Renshape for a while now and the block I have is rated 400 series.  It may be low on the chart but I found to be excellent to work with.  I have thinned it out when doing hoods and fenders for truck models and have had no problems.  Anyone who has found a good size block of it is fortunate as the stuff is real expensive.  I don't throw out even the smallest workable pieces either.

Tom Decker said it well.  His work is outstanding and shows what can be done when you put your mind to it.  I'm back to doing a model of a 1953 Reo with parts from several sources and will use much of what Tom has said in the process.

16 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I started to Google Ren Shape just now and there seems to be several types with different numbers. Which type do you recommend?

Tom - Probably ten years ago, Ren Shape offered a sample pack for like $20. I bought one to see the different types. I don't remember exactly where I bought it, but a quick Google machine search brings up one from Amazon. 

It's pretty useful. I use one of the softest to make custom shaped sanding blocks.

Edited by Erik Smith

5 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Tom - Probably ten years ago, Ren Shape offered a sample pack for like $20. I bought one to see the different types. I don't remember exactly where I bought it, but a quick Google machine search brings up one from Amazon. 

It's pretty useful. I use one of the softest to make custom shaped sanding blocks.

Thanks guys.

21 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Their ad is no help to someone like with no knowledge of the terms listed. What hardness is the material You use?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ren-Board-Renshape-450-Assortment-Flat-Rate-Box-16/203164540079?hash=item2f4d8cdcaf:g:wzYAAOSwa39foDBI this is what we used when we purchased renshape. It is a good quality and not the soft stuff. I don't care for the softer modeling board.  I like the 450 this guy is selling. Tom I am sending you a PM. 

On 1/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ren-Board-Renshape-450-Assortment-Flat-Rate-Box-16/203164540079?hash=item2f4d8cdcaf:g:wzYAAOSwa39foDBI this is what we used when we purchased renshape. It is a good quality and not the soft stuff. I don't care for the softer modeling board.  I like the 450 this guy is selling. Tom I am sending you a PM. 

That looks like a nice assortment of chunks for a reasonable price. I have a piece of the 450 that a friend sent me that's about the size of a 4" (yes, inch) long section of 2X4. One of these days, I will need it for something, I'm sure.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, charlie libby said:

i find delrin is also a great product to test or experiment with. its also great for making your own tires. if you need a size that you cant find, they look pretty good.you can get it pretty resonable on ebay.

Those look great!  Beautiful work!

Delrin does look good when used to model tires, but it is a non-stick type of plastic, so any paint or lettering will not stick to it.

While the general shape of the tires looks really good, I wonder if sanding them with some 400 or 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper would make them look more "ruber-like" (less shiny).  It woudl likely also get rid of the machining marks.