Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1957 Cameo Tips

I started the AMT 1957 Cameo 21 years ago, maybe it's time to finish it. Looking for some tips on sub assemblies before paint.

- Engine compartment - if I mold in the inner fender extensions, can I get the interior in?

- Truck box - Should this be two assemblies for painting, the inner box and the outer cameo sides/rear? If I assemble the entire box, can I get the tailgate on?

I built one of these last year and really liked it. As with most any kit with years worth of tool use there are a few minor fitment problems. The only issue that I would check before doing any body work is the fit of the kits windows. In my case the windshield fell thru the opening and the rear window wasn't much better. I just made new mounting points for the windows with some Plastruct .The Bed, I feel the bed should be pre fitted before final paint and then assembled. The area between the inner bed and the outer fenders can be seen after assembly so I would use a flat black color there. The bed is a little flimsy till the glue sets and I just glued the parts a step at a time. The alignment between the cab and the bed takes a little adjustment but not a real problem. The interior fits snug but at least it isn't trying to fall out during assembly. I would watch the leading edge of the dash board where it and the bottom of the windshield and the cowl all come together. This area may require a little sanding but nothing out of the ordinary. Remember mine had to have some mounting material added in that area so this my have been my own creation.  Please post your build. If you should have a problems there are many far more skilled builders than myself here that will help if asked.   

Thanks David. But I was looking for specific info regarding to points I outlined. The front inner fenders have an extension that needs to be installed after interior/firewall assembly. Can the interior be installed if these extensions are installed prior to painting?

I have some ideas on assembling the box.

My issue with this kit is the deficiency in the cab bottom. Once the kit is assembled and you look at bottom of cab, there are open gaps at rear and sides. You can see up into the body. The real truck has a step down from cab floor to bottom of door that I’ve always added to mine.

Second issue is shape of side window at the vent. It slopes upward where is should be flatterer. This was later corrected so see which version you have.