Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Edsel Phantom Wagon

Plowboy

Just started this one yesterday. I've had this idea ever since the Del Rio came out. The full scale wagon is pretty much the Del Rio with the Edsel clip and different tail lights. I wanted my wagon to look like an Edsel front to rear. The coved quarter panels and tail lights are important styling elements to me  I started by removing the top from the Edsel. I'm going to hang onto it in case I ever need it. Then I cut the roof from the Del Rio and stuck it on the Edsel. The Edsel has a lot more rear overhang than the Del Rio. So, I sectioned 7 mms out of the length behind the wheel wells. The plan is to use the Edsel interior and modify it with the Del Rio parts necessary. The engine will be from the AMT Phantom Vickie. I may use these wheels or maybe the ones from the AMT Wagonrod.

20200420_225235-1.jpg.8bf56e9bc6e0745c5c1312ab905ac0eb.jpg

20200420_225459-1.jpg.28ebf82eb258b784cbe73e44cdb5b06a.jpg 

Interesting concept, I like it very much.

Please forgive the unsolicited tip. But to me, the tail clip looks like it could be shortened just a bit. The way it is now makes for a rather deep tailgate and I'm having a hard envisioning how it would open.

David G. 

Edited by David G.

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Just started this one yesterday. I've had this idea ever since the Del Rio came out. The full scale wagon is pretty much the Del Rio with the Edsel clip and different tail lights. I wanted my wagon to look like an Edsel front to rear. The coved quarter panels and tail lights are important styling elements to me  I started by removing the top from the Edsel. I'm going to hang onto it in case I ever need it. Then I cut the roof from the Del Rio and stuck it on the Edsel. The Edsel has a lot more rear overhang than the Del Rio. So, I sectioned 7 mms out of the length behind the wheel wells. The plan is to use the Edsel interior and modify it with the Del Rio parts necessary. The engine will be from the AMT Phantom Vickie. I may use these wheels or maybe the ones from the AMT Wagonrod.

20200420_225235-1.jpg.8bf56e9bc6e0745c5c1312ab905ac0eb.jpg

20200420_225459-1.jpg.28ebf82eb258b784cbe73e44cdb5b06a.jpg 

Roger, I like this one alot, as my first car was a 59 Edsel....that kit would make an interesting Edsel-chero also...

22 hours ago, David G. said:

Please forgive the unsolicited tip. But to me, the tail clip looks like it could be shortened just a bit. The way it is now makes for a rather deep tailgate and I'm having a hard envisioning how it would open.

David G. 

It can't be shortened any more. As it is, the quarters are the same length as the Del Rio's. The floor pan/frame from the Del Rio fits like it should. It does look deep. But, there's no way to lean the center section in without wrecking the rest of it. My idea for it is to make it like a lift gate where all of it would simply raise up. I've been contemplating opening and hinging it. But, I don't know if I could make hinges that wouldn't be visible. 

31 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

It can't be shortened any more. As it is, the quarters are the same length as the Del Rio's. The floor pan/frame from the Del Rio fits like it should. It does look deep. But, there's no way to lean the center section in without wrecking the rest of it. My idea for it is to make it like a lift gate where all of it would simply raise up. I've been contemplating opening and hinging it. But, I don't know if I could make hinges that wouldn't be visible. 

I really like the concept you've come up with and I can't wait to see where you take it. 

David G.

10 hours ago, David G. said:

I really like the concept you've come up with and I can't wait to see where you take it. 

David G.

I propose splitting the tailgate into two sections. The upper would have the rear glass of course and  all of the distance to the tail lights creating an "L" shape. That piece would swing up. The lower section could then swing down or to one side. Just might be a viable solution.

5 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I propose splitting the tailgate into two sections. The upper would have the rear glass of course and  all of the distance to the tail lights creating an "L" shape. That piece would swing up. The lower section could then swing down or to one side. Just might be a viable solution.

That's a good idea. Definitely something to think about. Only issue is where to split it. 

I got a light coat of primer on today. Just have a few touch ups and a little more sanding. I removed the Pacer script, rocker panel trim and the trim between the taillights. I filled in the trunk line and scribed in new ones.

20200423_004720-1.jpg.38f0a15cebd43e8f65b3b5ecf584e377.jpg

20200423_005226-1.jpg.b25f921a599f9c8b126251beac16754f.jpg

On 4/21/2020 at 6:37 AM, David G. said:

David G. 

I'm with David here. I love the concept of what you are doing very much. I would suggest lengthening the roof. I will be following this build.

7 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

I'm with David here. I love the concept of what you are doing very much. I would suggest lengthening the roof. I will be following this build.

I thought the same or shorten the quarters some.. either way it looks good!!

If I lengthen the roof, I'll have to lengthen the interior also. Rather not do that.

If I make the quarters shorter (they're the same length as the Del Rio's), I'll have to shorten the floorpan, gas tank and frame. Don't want to do that either. 

I think I'm going to open the rear hatch and see if I can make some hinges that won't be too visible. If I can't, I'll just glue it back together. We'll see. 

I've began getting the interior pieced together. I had already mini tubbed the rear wheel wells on the floor pan. I modified the Edsel rear seat to fit. I had to narrow the floor piece also. I joined the rear quarter panels/tailgate panel from the Del Rio to the Edsel's interior panels. I still have some trimming and fitting to do. But, I have a start on it.

20200424_135517-1.jpg.bf93e417f796a0e7a3ea49221452a4e0.jpg

20200424_135559-1.jpg.efda18ca22499e842181d1218657775c.jpg

11 hours ago, Plowboy said:

If I lengthen the roof, I'll have to lengthen the interior also. Rather not do that.

If I make the quarters shorter (they're the same length as the Del Rio's), I'll have to shorten the floorpan, gas tank and frame. Don't want to do that either. 

I think I'm going to open the rear hatch and see if I can make some hinges that won't be too visible. If I can't, I'll just glue it back together. We'll see. 

Either way it’d be opening a can of worms! Lol