Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Edsel Phantom Wagon

Plowboy

21 hours ago, espo said:

The photo shopped pictures of the Red Edsel wagon on this thread  is a good example, but you might want to use a different color just because.  While not realistic, the Wood Trim does look nice. I would go with something bold, something you've wanted to use for a long time but just haven't found the right model for it. 

Yeah, I know red seems like a cop out no thought color. But, in my vision of it, nothing else will work. This model is painted with Tamiya Mica Red over gold. It's a beautiful color as are the other Mica colors. I hope Tamiya expands on the Mica line of paints.

20190810_190054-1.jpg.b64cc1b654e1527ae8c6ceb318158f8e.jpg

This photo shows the effect of the side skirts. No frame showing! I may foil the whole piece. I want to see what it looks like with just the half round done and go from there.

20200430_140838-1.jpg.f52bc2e9b0b66144c5942e6fedb2da4f.jpg

I like your approach with the extended rockers. I also think your idea of just using foil on the half round makes sense as to much chrome on the lower portion of the body would draw the eye away from the upper body moldings. Should the finished body start to look to tall from the side consider painting the portion below the molding a semi-gloss Black. This is a trick used in the past by many manufacturers.   

11 hours ago, espo said:

I like your approach with the extended rockers. I also think your idea of just using foil on the half round makes sense as to much chrome on the lower portion of the body would draw the eye away from the upper body moldings. Should the finished body start to look to tall from the side consider painting the portion below the molding a semi-gloss Black. This is a trick used in the past by many manufacturers.   

Thanx! I like the semi gloss black idea! I have some black foil. So, I could do a test run with it before committing to paint. That may be the best option. I like to have a backup plan whenever possible.

I'm very close to having it ready for final primer. I've been making some final tweaks and touch ups. Then I can concentrate on the interior and chassis.

I don't know how it will look. But, I'm gonna do it anyway. I'm planning on painting the engine yellow and the valve covers white. In my mind, it'll look cool. In reality, it may not. Only one way to know for sure.    

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx! I like the semi gloss black idea! I have some black foil. So, I could do a test run with it before committing to paint. That may be the best option. I like to have a backup plan whenever possible.

I'm very close to having it ready for final primer. I've been making some final tweaks and touch ups. Then I can concentrate on the interior and chassis.

I don't know how it will look. But, I'm gonna do it anyway. I'm planning on painting the engine yellow and the valve covers white. In my mind, it'll look cool. In reality, it may not. Only one way to know for sure.    

While the suggested Engine colors sound different, they mirror some of the color schemes that were being used on Edsel's at the time.   

I've been busy doing a lot of little stuff on the chassis, engine and floorpan/firewall. On the front of the frame, I filled in the rails and removed the foremost mounts. The headers and upper A arms are made. At the rear of the frame, I made new spring pockets inboard of the frame rails and removed the old ones.

20200505_095114-1.jpg.a111378bc41cebe48d94a1c8984448f7.jpg

I decided since I'm painting the engine yellow that I would also build the headers similar to the old style. They're a tri y design. It was also the easiest way to make them. Plus, the design enabled me to keep them tucked up out of sight.

20200505_095424-1.jpg.399f9f13ac8ba4c3f2c5c635df4df393.jpg

I cut the excess away from the base of the firewall after I got rid of the mounts. It will have a much cleaner look without that garbage hanging out into the fenderwells. 20200505_095632-1.jpg.05130364a6aaec77825a18da77970ecb.jpg

Not sure if I'll stick with the 8.8 or switch it out for a 9 inch rearend. Instead of narrowing the wagon gas tank, I'm going to use the sedan tank. I still have some filling to do on the front wheel wells and I gotta get the rack and pinion setup ironed out. I also still have to get the front track narrowed down. Then I can begin primer and paint work. I can't wait to see the body in paint!

20200505_095902-1.jpg.a6636812ad0ab89686a0922154b92f41.jpg

This is coming along great. You mentioned filling the frame rails, and looking at them I'm questioning why I haven't done that before. Did you use putty or did you cut scraps of plastic to fill the frame ? 

Very cool project Roger!  Great job on the body, it's like watching a Kindig it Design episode... your attention to detail is fantastic!  I always loved the Edsel even if the car has suffer of a bad reputation.  Can't wait to see some color on this one of a kind project.  Thanks for sharing!!!

15 hours ago, espo said:

This is coming along great. You mentioned filling the frame rails, and looking at them I'm questioning why I haven't done that before. Did you use putty or did you cut scraps of plastic to fill the frame ? 

Thanx! I just filled them with putty. I've done many that way. No problems yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx guys! I got the body in the first two coats of color! I'll sand and shoot one more coat of each. Then shoot the clear. I love how the color is looking!

20200515_143150-1.jpg.9f0c5aa79e12a3d6e4cc5ae0ccd56617.jpg

I also have the interior in color. It's just Tamiya Gray Primer and Dull Red. I think this combination will compliment the body very well. I'm going to sand the red areas to hopefully reveal the pattern that is there. If it doesn't work out, I can just spray another coat of paint over it.

20200515_143036-1.jpg.01f708e11070ba16a5cb8438e144c026.jpg