Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for the Petty guys?

2zwudz

22 minutes ago, 2zwudz said:

What year Torino is this?? I thought Richard Petty only drove the Ford Talladaga???

9F957C2A-E4A2-40A3-8FD3-C4C05AA26D71.jpeg

IIRC...Richard was running the '68 Roadrunner in 1968.   This could be the the early '69 before the Talladega aero - configuration had sold enough to the public to make it eligible to race

It's a 69 Torino.

The Talledega was run on tracks over 1.5 mile....short tracks they ran the Torino. Petty was only in the Ford in 1969 and back to Plymouth in 70. (much later they had ford, Dodge etc) 

My 69 Torino Talledega build...AMT kit no the PL kit

PETTY69a.JPG

It's pretty much like the Mopar guys did, they used the Superbirds and Daytonas on the larger tracks where they needed aerodynamics and the Charger 500 and Roadrunner on the shorter tracks where aerodynamics wasn't that important.

The story I was told was that Plymouth couldn't use the Aero package the way that Dodge had. Richard got sideways with Mopar over it and he went with Ford that one season. Just so happened I was employed by Union Oil Company at the time and worked out of the Colton Ca. Distribution Center at the time. One of our duties was to bring the race gas from the Union Oil Brea Research Center to the Riverside Raceway for any racing events. This put me in the pits early one morning during the drivers practice sessions and Richard had gotten off line thru the S's. The buildings in the garage area were built a couple of feet higher than the surrounding black top to aid in drainage during heavy rains I guess. So I walked done a couple rows of garages and there someone had this blue Ford Torino jacked up from the low side on a single floor jack and he's crawling around under the car on a creeper and a garden type hose washing the underside of the car. The only other person around has his back to me as I walk up and I ask what was going on. You'll never guess who turns around and with a very slight smile says he kind'a of got off course. One of the nicest and unassuming person I have ever met. That's my Petty story and how I came to know that he drove a Ford for a year anyway.      

Richard won his 1ST race, in a Ford,  at Riverside in the Regular body Torino. The Daytona and later the Superbird were developed to be Super speedway cars, Daytona/Talladega but drivers found them to be so stable that they (the drivers) wanted to run them everywhere even Rockingham. Chrysler brass wasn't so sure, the cost of the nose and wing were pretty high but the drivers were able to prove that the areo nose and high wing made the cars more stable and let them run them at Rockingham also. As an aside I saw James Hylton run one at Martinsville. He had crashed his primary Martinsville car and only had the Daytona left so that what he ran. Pretty strange to see a Daytona at Martinsville. During the race he got in a shunt with Leroy and wasn't happy. Actually was my first time seeing a helmet thrown.

Edited by james460