Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage FED, 1966, 1:25, FINAL

This project is completed.  I'll order ProTech 5 star seat belt buckles, a really fantastic product.  Due to the China virus, and the post overseas, this will take a couple of weeks.  Thanks Charlie!  I'll add the seat belt setup later on, then the chute pack can also be completed.  For now, this car is sitting alongside The Old Master and I like the view.

38364880vh.jpg

38364882es.jpg

38364881wt.jpg

38364883yg.jpg

38364884yh.jpg

38376202jq.jpg

38376203qw.jpg

38376204ua.jpg

38376206tt.jpg

38376207ig.jpg

38376208hd.jpg

38376209yw.jpg

38376211vk.jpg

38376212lj.jpg

38375052cx.jpg

38375054oy.jpg

38375055cu.jpg

This might be updated later on with the belts and chute pack completed.

Mike..

Edited by Mike Williams

It is models like these that make this such a great site to visit.  Thank you for sharing your amazing workmanship with us all, Mike, and thank you for building such a cool subject!  Both of them actually!  We had an FED here in Australia that ran an injected Hemi and driven by John Maher.back in the early seventies and this model sure brings back memories.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

@1320, Jim thanks much for the appreciation.  I know well from the FB groups that Australian modelers are just excellent craftsmen, and I'm happy for your praise.

@alan barton, Alan, I surely appreciate you commenting. I think we may know each other from FB possibly?  Also, as stated above, Australian modelers have excellent qualities, plus your very friendly and open attitude is a real treat.  I do love the earlier FED's, as a fellow here stated recently, the simplicity of design, is very attracting.  Yes, the memories, I agree.

@Pro Tech, Charlie, very humbling, much appreciated.  I use lots of your products, braided wire...none better.  Looking forward to the seat belt buckles, they're on the way!

Mike..

Superb job Mike!  Not many builders can make this kind of mastery in a lapse of time that short.  You shared with us your amazing skills and I can't thank you enough!

I really hope that you will be back to us with another project (absolutely no pressure from me my friend... but it would be pleasant to watch)!

Take care, Francis

15 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Superb job Mike!  Not many builders can make this kind of mastery in a lapse of time that short.  You shared with us your amazing skills and I can't thank you enough!

I really hope that you will be back to us with another project (absolutely no pressure from me my friend... but it would be pleasant to watch)!

Take care, Francis

Thank you Francis! 

Fact is, as a fellow mentioned in an earlier update, the beauty of a FED is the simplicity of design. From and function.  I love building these old Altered and FED cars.  No electronics, not many rules, just what worked.  The brass chassis is done in one day.  The motors are built in an hour.  More detailing takes more time.  This car has an intricate fuel injection manifold, more than 100 parts.  I realize this is not the norm here,  just as you choose, I like to show a different method for building a model car.  This car can be built in 2 weeks easily, I like to take time, just a few hours in the afternoon and late evenings.  The injection setup though , took a lot of time researching and building.  This was not an easy task.  Now I have learned.

Also,  I think it might be better just to show a future project when finished.  No more WIP topics here from me .  There is a much greater acceptance and feedback in the diverse FB groups.  Great feedback and tips exchanged, much unlike the silence here.  This is what modeling is about.  You like, you say so.  You don't, you say this as well.  An exchange is great for modeling.  Silence is stupid.

I choose though to further support your excellence in modeling, every entry just lets me smile.  Thank you!

Mike..

11 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

What a pair. It feels like we're back at Lion's Dragway, in the early days... I can almost smell nitro!

Truly world class builds. BRAVO!

CT

Merci CT.  Yes, this rhymes, I like.

Simplicity.  Excellent.  These cars are simple, but relay a strong statement.  I'm hooked on these.

Already a new project in the works, just different from these two.  But still Lions style.  I like this one...

38388019qo.jpg

38388020ef.jpg

A Kent Fuller car...quite different;

38388021pi.jpg

Greetings, Mike..

Don't worry Mike! I will take anything you will offer even if I think that the builders community lost a lot by losing the trust of such a good builder (and example) like you.

The other groups will however continue to learn from your techniques and that's good news for the hobby!

On my side I can't thank you enough for your kind words and constructive comments on my builds.

I'll be back to see your next UNDER GLASS offer my friend (no farewell here...)!!!

Truly, Francis

Thanks fellows for the kind words, very much appreciated.

This was a fun and quick build.  Learned a new wire wheel fabrication process, fairly easy in the meantime and they look great on the car as it sits on the shelf.  The injection setup was challenging as I hadn't gone this far yet, but help was provided from the H.A.M.B., great guys there willing to help out, even for small scale car guys.

Also, my first attempt at a full streamlined body and nose in sheet metal.  It worked and looked good, but strangely enough, the car didn't appeal to me as much as it does now.  Too much aluminum killed the simple look.  No problem though, I can use the experience for my next project, also an all metal endeavor.

Thanks much,

Mike..

Thanks Dave and Chris, this was a fun little build, with the exception of the injection stack setup it was a real quickie too.  Makes me want to stick with the genre for a while. 

But the Magwinder will be a challenge,  no plans available, lots of drawing to do before this one gets ready for construction.  I'm luckily though in having contact with a fellow who knows the car firsthand, as his father piloted the car for a while.  Also the original owner is still available, and these two gentleman will be helping out with my many questions.

Mike..

What a stunning pair of builds Mike, or should I call you Jo as I have for the last year or so?  Haha!

I truly love your building style and use of different types of metal in your creations. It'll be very interesting to see how you do the body on the 'Sidewinder.'

@Bainford, Trevor.  I'm with you, the simple aggressive look....exactly this!  It's become a lot of fun building dragsters from the 60's.  No nonsense, simple design, plus they don't take long.  Thanks for your praise, greatly appreciated.

@gasser59, thanks Brad.  I had a good laugh at that one yesterday!  Jo, the wife, it's her profile....FB doesn't  allow more than one person per IP,  it just does not work.  I've given up.  Since the community is maybe 100 times what it is here, I got tired of setting things straight...useless.  Quite a chuckle though!  The body on the white car with red trim is not that difficult really, the side panels are half round, the top edge is all the way is 1/4 round, the middle area is a slight inverted U all the way to the nose.  A beautiful car, my opinion, and really interesting.

Mike (still)...