Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street's Most Famous Car: Rick Dobbertin's Pontiac J2000

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pro-streets-most-famous-car/ 

Just some, but Nice photo's of the car Revell kitted. It triggered me to find some more:

https://www.stanceiseverything.com/2014/12/wtf-friday-rick-dobbertins-pontiac-j2000/ and a brochure I personally didn't know existed: http://dobbertinhydrocar.com/J2000/J-2000_BROCHURE_2.pdf

rick-dobbertin-j2000-12

Thanks for sharing. I built this kit as a kid when it came out. It was actually one of my better builds as a kid. But being a kid, I tore it apart to pillage the pro-street parts for other projects. I did finally acquire an unbuilt a couple years ago with the intent to build again. It's really a well done kit, despite the complexity of the actual car, especially the engine and all it's plumbing. I also built the Corvette and Beretta based on the same tooling. Fun times.

43 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That was a pretty radical car back then, heck even still now. I surely wouldn't mind having the kit version, as well as Matt Hay's Thunderbird.

The Hay's T-bird was reissued not all that long ago so it shouldn't bee too difficult (nor expensive) to find.

The Beretta Pro Street was also reissued within the last five(?) years, so at least the chassis for the J-2000 survives.

Edited by Casey

I really liked the whole Pro Street thing. They were the customs of the 80s.

I think I have all the pro street kits that were 1:1 cars or variations of the J-2000.. They used to be cheap so long ago. I've always wanted to take a shot at the J-2000 armed with a lot of Alclad. That second link is loaded with great pics.

The original Baretta had great box art. The kits were pretty pricy, so I got the reissue and a set of the decals.

I have always thought the Nova was better car.

The J2000 just was to small to me and didnt look right in person.

Big question here is,,,,,,Where are all 3 of them today.

I heard he still owns the Nova but not sure of the J2000 or that orbiter thing

I always thought the Math Hays T -Bird was better proportioned and better looking.

Just read a little while back  He had sold the T-bird, but has  since bought it back

Edited by gtx6970