Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King A/FX ‘65 Plymouth Satellite “Golden Commandos”

Matt T.

I’m currently working on this box stock build of the new Moebius/Model King kit. I’m building the “White Mule” version.
This is a beautifully-designed and engineered kit. Highly recommended. I hope to wrap this build in the next few days. 

More build pics here: https://public.fotki.com/fivets/my_model_cars/1965-afx-plymouth-s/

E726D8AE-1AFD-4519-A495-F96813C66E29.jpeg

D761377D-1A38-4BD3-B5DE-B323D3942BEC.jpeg

A6A734FC-0FD2-46F2-8E32-83F56EB46765.jpeg

Finished it!

What an awesome kit! I cannot recommend this one enough - superior quality and buildability.  One of my all-time favorite builds. I’ll take some outdoor pictures this weekend and post an Under Glass topic.

More build pics at the Fotki link above, posted earlier.  Thanks for looking.

F5FD4441-08BD-450F-BAD5-DD00897D2EB3.jpeg

Edited by Matt T.

Well done.  This kit does look like it has values.

I like the way you show it too, as if it were just delivered yesterday, nice and white.  The clean and lean look always gets me with the 1st generation A/FX cars.

Nice finish on the wheels and tires too.

Matt, one thing that bothers me though, read, this is not a critique pointed your way.  This is not a post door car body.  What's with the obvious door posts?  I don't get it.  Are they like this in the kit?

Hi Mike. The kit windows are molded with those. I believe they are supposed to be the window frames. However, the kit pieces only represent the verticals that you see on my build, not the rest of the frames. Below is a picture showing the white frames. 

I agree with you on the day one look - clean! 

1BDB47AB-8FC7-4F45-A296-6A24A16B4C56.jpeg

Edited by Matt T.

The original AFX cars were a 2 door hardtop body yet had the front doors from the 2 door sedan instead ( no vent wing frames )

Im pretty sure The door glass is one piece , raised and lowered by an impromptu seat belt used as a lift strap and it snaps in position once the glass is fully raised , AKA less  weight

Then again, this is the Dick Landy 1965 and it has no straps, so maybe the door glass is fixed in the up position

1965-Dodge-Landy-cabin.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fantastic.. Matt. The colors you used on the interior look perfect. I was building the Lee Smith car, but a friend offered to take the WIP off my hands for a decent price. I’m glad I have two more of these beauties in my stash. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, gtx6970 said:

The original AFX cars were a 2 door hardtop body yet had the front doors from the 2 door sedan instead ( no vent wing frames )

Im pretty sure The door glass is one piece , raised and lowered by an impromptu seat belt used as a lift strap and it snaps in position once the glass is fully raised , AKA less  weight

Then again, this is the Dick Landy 1965 and it has no straps, so maybe the door glass is fixed in the up position

1965-Dodge-Landy-cabin.jpg

I wonder how Landy pushed those shift buttons with that roll bar in the way ? 

( note that the pushbutton is *technically* incorrect for 1965 , but is conversely correct for Landy's '65 A/FX Coronet --- that's because this car was originally a 4-speed ! Landy , as the legend goes , blew the 4-speed transmission at Beeline . Being leery of the 4-speed , Landy converted the car to a Torqueflite , adding the 1964-style "dial-a-win" quadrant to the left of the speedometer )