Model Cars Magazine Forum

For you LSR fans, this might be fun to have.

I spent some time with Jocko years ago up at his compound in 29 Palms learning to gas weld aluminum and create shapes on the English wheel. I even wrote an article about him for SAE. He gave me this aluminum replica of the 8.35 liner as well as some hardwood slap hammers that are still in my toolbox. He was as talented as he was colorful. J

5EA9B0D6-883F-4CCB-B80C-6232D396F528.jpeg

A5FC862D-6479-4FC5-BC93-6D4377D552F6.jpeg

I could not agree more, Bill. 

Dr. Weller - Wow. That would be a privilage to get taught by Jocko.  Did you get a chance to see the radial engine he was putting together for the car? I think the car was finished, but I am not sure about the engine.

I found some pics to post. I think the elevated rear was dropped from the original design when I look at the 1:1 version. I don't have a good pic of the engine. The articles are interesting.

Sonicwind-vi.jpg

JockoandSWcar-vi.jpg

Jocko finished the body but never completed a chassis or developed a working powerplant of the design described in the Autoweek article. Getting to know him and spending time up there was a great experience. He was building a bike powered three wheel version of the 8.35 liner and had a working chassis. He had all types of wood and metal sculptures and some amazing furniture designs that can still be seen online. He was really into models and had built a large scale aluminum replica of the John Cobb’s Railton Special which was the car that inspired him to build his liner as well as some amazing tether cars. I’m gonna see if I can dig up some photos from my time up there.

21 hours ago, Marc Weller said:

Jocko finished the body but never completed a chassis or developed a working powerplant of the design described in the Autoweek article. Getting to know him and spending time up there was a great experience. He was building a bike powered three wheel version of the 8.35 liner and had a working chassis. He had all types of wood and metal sculptures and some amazing furniture designs that can still be seen online. He was really into models and had built a large scale aluminum replica of the John Cobb’s Railton Special which was the car that inspired him to build his liner as well as some amazing tether cars. I’m gonna see if I can dig up some photos from my time up there.

Hey, Marc! That must have been an awesome experience. Would love to see photos! Hope you and yours are well!

Here are some shots from Jocko's desert compound. The "Jocko's Stuff" liner is a pedal car version of his acclaimed 8.35 car rendered in aluminum (the original was glass unlike the Moonliner which was is aluminum). When I first met Jocko he was dragging this through the Pomona Swap Meet. I'm particularly fond of the workbench shot of two of Jocko's 1/16th scale 8.35 liner models posed with a bunch of my models. We were having a 2 man NNL that day up in 29 Palms !! Next shot is Jocko posing next to the Spirit of 29 Palms holding a model of same. And lastly, parked next to his bus, Jocko's  3 wheeled half scale version of the 8.35 liner which was functional and powered by a four cylinder bike engine. I can't remember which issue of Scale Auto had my Jocko article but it includes a great picture of one of his tether cars.

Image-1.jpg

Image-1-2.jpg

Image-1-3.jpg

Image-1-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found some additional Jocko images:IMG_D009EFF1858D-1.jpeg.0155848f2981f9c4fd0151b728df860a.jpeg

These are all formed from sheet aluminum. Jocko had some really tiny English wheels he had fabricated from hand tools (like vice grips for example). He would hammer the various sections from annealed aluminum sheet, planish out the hammer marks with the English wheel, and weld everything together with an oxyacetylene torch. He had half of a pair of cobalt blue goggles he used for this purpose. Here we see two versions of the Railton special, the Thunderbolt and hiding behind the Thunderbolt, the Goldenrod. Incredible models all!!IMG_4A7B9536E4C7-1.jpeg.d263b92cc08192cb2fce39fe79fdb9a6.jpeg

Another 8.35 liner model under constructionIMG_87697C6EF0D5-1.jpeg.954c1006b76cbe0418455dda9daad9fd.jpeg

Jocko's tether cars are amazing. Here we can see the supercharger housing and rotor as well as several body partsIMG_7E1E934BFE23-1.jpeg.ed651df2268b52dd732693927d2d51cc.jpeg

This is the crankcase for the PoweRRing 3 cycle motor.

IMG_722F42BCB836-1.jpeg.cb7c67f4b31e0fc45c01b550baa359e9.jpeg

PoweRRing intake manifold.

IMG_D1D2FF462B5D-1.jpeg.1ee74854b394cc2442a148d333321d17.jpeg

More PoweRRing components

IMG_5B2B7493BFAC-1.jpeg.f811830475d80bba100018dd5a9464ec.jpeg

More PoweRRing stuff.

IMG_D89E2B9F2401-1.jpeg.aac4c4a569f35966efa83d11bb5f1a2f.jpeg

A Beetle roadster Jocko was building for some rock star client. Jocko was a very productive creative genius with many projects going at any given time. He was also a big healthy looking guy. I was really shocked by his premature demise. RIP.

IMG_7E1E934BFE23-1.jpeg

Edited by Marc Weller

• 2 weeks later...