Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Was the First Band You Saw in Concert?

Snake45

Other than some friends unknown bands (one of them is now bassist for cradle of filth) the first band i saw was ac/dc in 94 or 95 ish. I was still at school at the the time, so i asked my parents if i could spend the weekend at my friends house and jumped on the boat to mainland scotland, then spent most of a day train hopping from thurso down to donnington. After this I got in a lot of trouble from my parents as i cant have been more than 14 or 15 at the time. After seeing them i didn't attend another big name concert until 2001 when i attended a festival in glasgow called "gig on the green" I saw the beastie boys play an accoustic set in one of the tents for small bands, eminem, d12, marylin manson, linkin park, blink 182 and loads more that i've forgotten

Beatles Mania in the 80's.  Oldest brother tool me. he ended up with an extra ticket so I got to tag along because he knew I liked the Beatles. 

Then I got to see ZZtop in 83 with Pat Travers opening the show. Another brother won tickets so I got to go. At the Toledo Sports Arena, that place is gone now. 

Best show Stevie Ray Vaughan.  In Ann Arbor MI.  Seen him on a Friday night and then went to see Don Henley on Saturday in Toledo. 

Biggest surprise Winger opening for Deep Purple. 

Oh yea..Kiss,great show,from what I remember..Russ u have a VA Coliseum in AZ too.We have one on Long Island NY.Well sort of have one.I think they tore it down,or remodeled it or something....I can’t remember the year I saw them though.Probably in the early 80s.But I never saw my favorite band,Sabbath,or even Ozzy.And Ozzy is getting up there in age.In fact,I thought I heard he had the on set of Parkinson’s.   

• 2 weeks later...

First was probably 3 Dog Night in 1969 or 70.  Best was the Who I think it was 71, Who's Next tour, I couldn't hear for 3 days.  Won't Get Fooled Again was the encore.  Pete Townshend windmilling, pyrotechnics, it was awesome!

Edited by bbowser

2 hours ago, Misha said:

Back on the Canadian prairie in 1966-7 Eric Burdon and the Animals played in Regina! The finale featured a long version of “Sky Pilot” complete with a light show and smoke. Pretty cool!

Nice! Always love the Animals. Eric's my older sisters favourite singer even now.

Played drums in  Blues Rock Group in the 60's (they were called groups in those days). What we understood by bands then were Brass bands like the Sally Army.    'Bands' seems to have now become a generic term for vocal groups as well as instrumental/vocal groups as I knew them. My particular group did not hit the big time but we played support to many big names touring in the UK at the time.  Had a great time at all the different venues back in the day. Back then all the big names did the dance halls so you could get up close, not the dot in the distance performer at the modern huge venues of today. Heady days!   The one actual concert I went to just watch was the Beatles. Great atmosphere but could not hear a thing with the girls screaming. They only had Vox amplifiers on stage back then that were not up to it. I would think that most of those screaming girls now get more turned on by visiting their local garden centre!

• 5 months later...

First concert was Whitecross, Christian Heavy Metal, when I was in Confirmation class about 1991 or 1992. Pretty sure my pastor had NO idea what he was taking us to.

Best was Ratt, Slaughter, Cinderella and Quiet Riot in 2005 at the State Fair.

My first was the Industrial band Ministry in 94 or 95. Insanely loud- and was still insanely loud when I saw them again in 2008. 

Best by far was Rammstein in 2012. The sound was perfect as was the overall production. Janes Addiction when they toured with Nine Inch Nails in 2009 would be a close second.