Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Was the First Band You Saw in Concert?

Snake45

On 4/26/2020 at 7:48 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Scorpions with Kingdom Come opening.

:)

Had to possibly be a leg of The Monsters Of Rock tour with Van Halen, Metallica, and Dokken? I saw the two of these together at the MOR. Kingdom Come... what a Zeppelin rip off. 

December 29, 1978. Doobie Brothers and Norton Buffalo at Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento. Bunch of friends had tickets, but I was scheduled to have my wisdom teeth out, so I didn't buy one. As it turned out, something fell through on my surgery, and my friend Karen came down with bronchitis, so there was a spare ticket. Crummy nosebleed seats, but no "smoking" was required for 18 year old me to attain an amazing buzz secondhand. I actually fell asleep, which is something that is my natural reaction to loud noise to this day.

Calaveras County Fairgrounds used to put on a "Mountain Aire" concert every June, and we went in 1980 and saw them again. Amazing day. My (then) 120 pound body received quite a sunburn from running around all day in my 1980 OP shorts and nothing else. Got the poster, and hung it in the garage at my parents' house. I sold the place in 2004 after my dad died, and the buyers' home inspector asked me about it. Turns out that he was there too, and also received a sunburn from wearing too little clothing. He asked what I was going to do with the poster, and I told him that I was probably going to take it and hang it in my garage. He offered to buy it, but I wound up giving it to him.

As a side note, a former local radio station used to put on concerts at several venues in town. Green Day was supposed to appear several times, but all they ever did was disappear. Each time that happened, the concert went on as planned, but without Green Day. And the radio station gave out free tickets for the next concert that Green Day promised to appear at. Well, the first one of these concerts had an opening act from San Diego that was amazingly 80s punk in the 90s and very high energy. We had no idea who they were, but enjoyed the opening set probably more than most of the other bands. We saw this group a few more times locally, but they quickly moved from opening act to headliner. You may know them now as Blink-182.

If I ever get around to building a diorama or a garage photo background, I will definitely have a Mountain Aire 1980 poster on the wall. Just because.

image.jpg

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

AC/DC at castle donnington 1991. I told my parents I was staying at a friends for the weekend then jumped on a boat and travelled 600 miles on my own. I was 14 at the time and when I got home my parents were very unhappy with me but it was worth it

That’s the way, go for it,& so u probably got into trouble, but it was worth it to see AC/DC,right???

That would be Canned Heat in 1971. My dad was a soundman during those days and he would take me to gigs all the time. i think the first was this Canned Heat gig. i was only 7 at the time but on the ball and listened to my dad.

I don't remember the show but there are a few pix in my Mums collection of me "helping" dad.

The best part of being his "helper" was being in charge of the VW van. When I was there no one could be in or around the van without my OK.

SRV and double trouble , during the soul to soul tour. Opening act was his brothers band, the fabulous thunderbirds. That had to have been around 1986 I’m guessing?? After both sets, him and his brother jammed together for a bit, was amazing ....

KISS at the Saginaw Civic Center in 1983. If I recall the opening bands were Heaven and Vandenberg. I followed that with .38 Special the next year with Ratt and Eddie Money as the openers. My big regret though was declining two opportunities to see Neil Diamond with my parents. I'm pretty much a 70's, 80's and early 90's rocker, but in my opinion Neil Diamond is possibly the greatest singer/songwriter ever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 2:19 PM, Sam I Am said:

Ha !  My first concert also....in 1989 or 90, Oregon state fair. 

On 4/26/2020 at 12:07 AM, Miatatom said:

Paul Revere and the Raiders. Geez, I'm old.

Mine too. 1965 or '66. Albuquerque NM.

Ian Whitcomb was the opening act.

I remember Mark Lindsey walking onto the "barricade" that was placed in front of the stage several times during the show, fluanting his ponytail.

Ian Whitcomb died this past April.

Edited by #1 model citizen

• 2 weeks later...