Model Cars Magazine Forum

Potential Project?

4 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Hi,

What do you all think of this?  I'd omit the blower etc... and just have some small hood scoops/vents.

I was thinking to base it off of the Revell Pro Modeler 69' Charger.

charger.jpg

Are you going to build it? If you like it, go for it!

I'd say, use the AMT Daytona mismash and go to town with it. Those kits are plentiful and cheap. And if you ruin it or give up on it - no big loss. But if you succeed - then you can brag how you made that lousy kit look good!

As Snake45 says, "Model On!"

20 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Hi,

What do you all think of this?  I'd omit the blower etc... and just have some small hood scoops/vents.

charger.jpg

As ACE pointed out this is entirely impractical and outrages, which is exactly why I'm waiting to follow your build.  I can't remember which issue of the Charger had the wrong roof on it in that it was to low and looked almost like a chopped top. I'm sure someone here will know which one it is. My thought is if your going bold on something like this then go real bold. Please build it. 

I've tried to build from an artists illustration before and it can be challenging because the artist is almost never concerned with vehicle dimensions or mechanical plausibility. When I realized that I got irritated and scrapped the project. Having said that, by all means give it a shot. Looks like a challenging project.

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

....the artist is almost never concerned with vehicle dimensions or mechanical plausibility. ...

If the 1:1 reality of my late father's Dakota truck serves as an indication, Dodges don't have usable turning radiuses, so with regard to that aspect, this would be a plausible build project!

If you feel so motivated, then I say go ahead and build it.  If you do decide to build it, please let us know, so I can buy stock in Tamiya putty/Bondo/Evercoat, and Plastruct/Evergreen; because a build like this will require a bunch of it.  Just kidding of course, I have seen more builds of ridiculous fantasy cars.  Go for it, as mentioned before that particular model can be found fairly cheaply.

On 4/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Ace / Bill is just upset because he’s just finishing up his own model of this car! ?

Snowball's chance.

But like I said, I think a widebody Superbird built as though it could actually function would be a great project.

Also, we all know I never finish anything.   B)

On 4/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, aurfalien said:

Hi,

charger.jpg

The answer is what do you want to do?

You can build as it is as art rather than a function vehicle. There are plenty of full size cars that aren't practical however that the beauty of modeling building. You can also do it for a lot less.

Or you can use the drawing as inspiration and make  the changes to make it more practical.

Its entirely depends on what you want to do.

FYI the first release of the pro modeler 69 charger had the chopped top. Good call on changing the engine in my opinion it doesn't suit the rest of the call. How about twin turbo hemi or a viper v10.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Hello,

Thank you for the posts as I appreciate all of your thoughts.

I see this has invoked some passionate replies indeed.

One thing's certain, this would be a lot of work wether it be a Pixar's Cars character or a functional vehicle.

Man, there are simply so many kits to build I'm really unsure.

I've a seriously stalled FXX-K in my new workshop of sorts from pre-pandemic just looking at me.

Since I must complete a task before moving on to something else or I feel in limbo, I'll finish that one up and then see what happens.

Thanks again.

Edited by aurfalien