Model Cars Magazine Forum

back to the forum, no more FB!

Hey there, after a long hiatus wasting time on face book I deleted my F.B.  account and life is far better!  I spent a lot of time in those groups and met up with a lot of great modelers but sadly  managed to set this forum aside .   After lots of concern about privacy issues of social media I decided to ditch F.B and return to Model cars magazine forum! I miss having the hard copy of a freshly printed issue of M.C and my favorite beverage in a good read.  But in the midst of the moment of my errors, I have finally opened my eyes and ears and returned.  No drama here, Just plain old great modeling and great people!  Thanks for having me back.

Edited by Gramps2u

Welcome back! 

I have both the model car boards and Facebook. I try to use FB for family and friends. I belong to several groups which have connected me with folks I grew up with, as well as relatives I really didn’t have contact with before.

The model car influence has crept in and I’m in touch with many of the same guys on the model boards as well as guys who left the model boards for different reasons. And an interesting phenomena is guys who are well behaved here can be raving political loonies on FB! Lately I’ve hidden several prominent modelers who post constant political barrages. Don’t need to see that!

I also have found that the modelers on model boards are much more advanced. On FB in the model how-to boards, guys are arguing how to brush paint bodies, then someone pops on to challenge painting models at all. I chuckle since guys on this board get upset if someone asks a reasonable question that has been asked before! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I also have found that the modelers on model boards are much more advanced. On FB in the model how-to boards, guys are arguing how to brush paint bodies, then someone pops on to challenge painting models at all. I chuckle since guys on this board get upset if someone asks a reasonable question that has been asked before! 

x2

When a police officer was at our home (for an unrelated matter), he told us that about half the calls he responded to were social media (facebook primarily) related. When I want to catch up with friends and family, E-mails and the phone work just fine.

Welcome back and have fun you see i have both fb n here , the fb it related to Post-apocalyptic thing i have put some rules , if they dont follow the rules i simply delete the guy = 1 warnings , 2 got delete or banned .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't see how you can have issues in FB, I belong to both FB groups and this wonderful forum and have never had issues with neither. There is talent on both sides of the spectrum so that shouldn't even be an argument. I truly don't see a difference between both but hey, to each his own, gotta respect opinions.....

I'm with you Bob.

Never belonged to Facebook, and never will.

I have in laws that are political A-holes that think people want to hear their stupid opinions in every post.

If you aren't a member, you don't have to explain why you aren't "friends" with them, and you don't have to tip toe around their stupidity every day.

I don't need that nonsense in my life.

Steve

Facebook has its place..

I keep in touch with what’s going on with family and friends. I banter with my cousins that I otherwise had long lost contact with. I have met relatives in Germany. I had a conversion with one of my model friends in South Africa today.

I participate in boards that interest me... my town history, Terry Jessee’s resin board, Dave Darby’s model car survivor board and our on NNL East Friends board.

I also belong to boards for my high school graduating class and one from the military post I lived on in Germany as a kid. It’s put me in touch and regular contact with people I never thought I’d know again.

You don’t have to look at it even see objectionable content. There are settings that either delete or hide people who spew garbage. I’ve hidden all the lunatics who forward anti government stuff all day long.

People who say they will never go on Facebook without any experience on it, have no idea what they are missing!

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Facebook has its place..

. . .

People who say they will never go on Facebook without any experience on it, have no idea what they are missing!

And I'm perfectly ok with that.  it is not really about what I'm missing - it is about FB monetizing my personal info and online activities.  I understand that since FB is free to use, they need to "invade" my privacy to make profit. That is why I choose not to participate.  Plus not being on FB leaves me with one fewer place where my info is vulnerable to hacking. You are willing to expose yourself to FB - that is your choice.   

Edited by peteski

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Except that I do. ^_^

My wife is on Facebook all of the time, and all I ever hear is things like, "look what your idiotic niece is saying now".

I like to think that my life is pretty happy.

I like it that way and really don't need all of the background noise to aggravate me.

Call it ignorant bliss if you like. ;)

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...