Model Cars Magazine Forum

1948 Ford Woody - Resto-Mod

Phildaupho

I think the term Resto-Mod is perfect to describe my 1948 Ford Woody. On the surface it is completely stock except for its stance but underneath it is any thing but.  

2v2HAQ4sdximYT.jpg2v2HAQ4cFximYT.jpg

The Woody sits on the great Art Morrison chassis from the AMT Wagon Rod which features an independent A-arm front suspension, rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, a Ford 9-inch rear end and air bags all around. The wheels, tires, hubcaps and rings are from the Revell ’32 5-W

2v2HAQ4hyximYT.jpg

The engine is a Corvette C-5 LS-1 attached to a 5-speed manual. The ignition covers were modified with Evergreen siding to sort of look like finned flatheads. The engine compartment has new sides, the firewall was recessed and electric fans were added to the radiator.

2v2HAQ4VoximYT.jpg

The interior has bucket seats and hung pedals. The “wood” headliner was opened up to expose the white above.

2v2HAQ4TMximYT.jpg2v2HAQ4d2ximYT.jpg

The wood paneling was made from cigar box dividers.

Link to construction information while On The Workbench

44 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Super gorgeous all around! Loved the WIP.  I don't often say this, so I'll say it once. It's a shame there's an LS in it. ?

Thanks Mike for the compliments. In regard to the LS at least I tried to disguise it !! In my next Ford build I am using an LT-1.

2 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Super gorgeous all around! Loved the WIP.  I don't often say this, so I'll say it once. It's a shame there's an LS in it. ?

Hey Mike - That Lt-1 is not going to work so I am back to a Ford in aFord

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice build Phil!!

Thanks Larry

24 minutes ago, m3fan said:

Looks Great Phil! Looking forward to seeing it person one day. Wish I had more of those wagon rods the chassis are great

Thanks Russ - Agree that the Wagonrod has a great chassis. It was mastered when AMT was at the top of its game. The Phantom Vickie has another great chassis and many of their mid-century era kits had very good chassis and engines like the 57 Chrysler, 60 Ford and 62 Thunderbird.

20 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Looks great....the wood is fantastic!!

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Absolutely stunning!!

8 hours ago, ChrisR said:

VERY NICE!

2 hours ago, ATHU said:

Wow looks fantastic, excellent work!!

Thanks everyone. Your comments are much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I have a 30 Woody in waiting....any wood detailing hints??? Thx

Dave - This is how I described in my On The Workbench post - I used a technique of painting plastic to look like wood on the ’32 Ford Woody I built last year and was pleased with the results so decided to try the same with the ’48 Woody. The plastic Woody parts were first painted light yellow. The “wood” around the windows was brush painted with Light Yellow Testors enamel while the body was sprayed with Model Master Daytona Yellow lacquer. All the “wood” parts were then dry brushed with Testors light brown enamel in an attempt to give some grain affect to the “wood”.  The previous time I employed this technique I used Tamiya clear yellow acrylic for the final coats but all I found on my paint rack was orange clear so went with that.  The “wood” around the windows was brush painted with the orange while the headliner and body were airbrushed. It took some time for me to adjust to the results that are so different than the ‘32 Woody. The brush painted pieces look more like wood than those airbrushed which are definitely way more orange than I would have liked and the grain affect has virtually disappeared.

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Thanks sir!!! I love that rear 3/4 shot.........

small disclaimer.....I own a 1/1 scale 46 Ford Super DeLux so I am a bit bias!!! 

You are a very fortunate man. I envy you !!

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Very sharp. Superclean. Beautifully executed.

Thanks Bob

I keep coming back and looking at this model! It's so deceptive in it's look and execution. It kinda reminds me of the Phantom Vickie I built a while back. But, it's so much better conceived! Makes me want build something in the same style.