Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peugeot 205 16

dougwintz

This was a big reclamation project. I think I built this 15 - 20 years ago, and the clear coat on it had yellowed. Looked ugly. So I striped it, took it apart, applied some aftermarket bits and put it back together again. Took f o r e v e r.  I have another I 'm going to build as a Pike's Peak version, but think I'll try something easier next. 

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

Cool build!

The Peugeot 205 won Pikes Peak in 1988, driven by Ari Vatanen - ending Audi's three consecutive overall wins (five if you count 1983 & 1984 when John Buffum won the new rally Group B class but was outrun for overall - both years - by open wheel cars). The Peugeot 205 won again in 1989, piloted by Robby Unser.

BTW - Buffum's Audi Quattro won the class in 83 & 84, then Audi brought Michele Mouton in 1985 and she won overall. In 1986, Bobby Unser won overall. Then Audi brought Walter Rohl in 1987 to win the overall yet again.

Interesting that you were there in '85, Kurt. I was, too. I was running Race and Event Safety. 

This looks great I also built this kit just over twenty years ago. At that time it was the most difficult and the most detailed one I had ever built. After looking at yours I'm thinking it might be time to try another. I really like the subject and this form of racing in general. Spend way to much time watching it on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Cool build!

The Peugeot 205 won Pikes Peak in 1988, driven by Ari Vatanen - ending Audi's three consecutive overall wins (five if you count 1983 & 1984 when John Buffum won the new rally Group B class but was outrun for overall - both years - by open wheel cars). The Peugeot 205 won again in 1989, piloted by Robby Unser.

BTW - Buffum's Audi Quattro won the class in 83 & 84, then Audi brought Michele Mouton in 1985 and she won overall. In 1986, Bobby Unser won overall. Then Audi brought Walter Rohl in 1987 to win the overall yet again.

Interesting that you were there in '85, Kurt. I was, too. I was running Race and Event Safety. 

Thanks for the comments, guys. I think it's very cool that you have actually been to some of the events these cars ran in. I feel like I'm just catching up to that piece of racing history. I am building a bunch of Lancias (1/24 scale), Alpines, Evos and now Peugeots. It's fitting because the 1;1 cars I enjoyed owning and driving the most were the Evo and R32.