Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Review! SMP 1961 Impala

RDean58

Thanks again. You know how I love these reviews you've been posting. They're both fun and interesting to see. 

A couple of things caught my eye in this one. One, it looks like there's a small roadside billboard frame surrounding the custom grill? I saw no mention of it in the instructions. And see nothing on the decal sheet to fill it. Second, it's fun to see the custom parts that come with this kit. Looking at the parts and the instructions, this maybe, in my opinion, the worst looking custom I've seen from SMP or AMT from the period. It's not a pretty one. It's cool to see parts for things like TV, and I believe a tape recorder, starting to show up in these kits. I never use those items in a build. But, I sure like having them. Those little extras made modeling fun back then. 

Yes, there is a billboard. There is a place on the instruction sheet that you can cut out and put your name on. While the grille setup for the custom is horrible, I do like the skirts and I think the decals are  very cool. Yes, it is sporting a small block Chevy and a bench seat! More mainstream than the  Lindberg 61 SS, and better body proportions to.