Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Bordinat Concept Cobra

cobraman

Another conversion I have wanted to do (hence the stash of three or four Cougar II's) - DEFINITELY will be watching this one  Two things that have been difficult for me to confirm was the original color and the number of louvers in the center of the hood.

1965_Ford_Bordinat_Cobra_02.jpg

1965_Ford_Bordinat_Cobra_06.jpg

I've always liked the Cougar II and the Bordinat Cobra. I wish Ford would have made both of these. They could have been a worthy competitor to the Corvette. I spent a lot of time building my Cougar II model (a challenging kit to build!)  and will be watching this thread for your progress. Good luck!

Bart

321594725_FrontQuarter-4.JPG.426e6eed04f8922d5bd4b168614caa11.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

I've got complete faith in ya Ray

....those Borranis RandyD is pushing would look Ace on this by the way....

Yes they would.  A shame there wasn't a kit of this or the Mach2 concept but I guess they may not have sold very well in th 60's.  At least Ray has a very good starting point.  A coupe or fastback converted into a convertible in plastic has to be a lot easier than starting with a metal body no doubt but even that has not stopped some determined builders.  You got this Ray.  Now where did I put that MPC fastback Mustang that I converted to a 1969 Shelby DeMexico coupe? ?

Thanks Bob . Roof removed and spaced filled with sheet plastic and puttied up . Actual car seems to have a bit of a lip on the rear and not just flat like I have it . Need to see if I can fix that . WW tires from the parts box and the beautiful wire wheels from Model Builders Warehouse . 

8E03A15A-BAF4-4F99-8C9E-368567BF22E5.jpeg

18 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Thanks Bob . Roof removed and spaced filled with sheet plastic and puttied up . Actual car seems to have a bit of a lip on the rear and not just flat like I have it . Need to see if I can fix that . WW tires from the parts box and the beautiful wire wheels from Model Builders Warehouse . 

There does seem to be some kind of kick-up around the tail end but not easy to tell how large.

Mercury-Couger-II-headlineM.jpg

I'll be watching this one Ray! This along with the coupe is one of my favorite concept cars of the '60's. And yes, this kit can be a pain to build. It didn't get much better with the Lindberg reissues from years ago, but if you take your time they can be quite nice.

I am impressed with your progress Ray.  If this concept had gone to production it would have suffered the same problem the C2 Corvette Sting Ray had, front end lift.  I only had a C2 up to 100 once and the front definitely was coming up.

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

Really looking forward to this build.  I love anything FORD related. Although I am a bit concerned about the "bullet hole" in the wall.  Hope that wasn't done in frustration.?

Thanks guys. I am a it concerned about the color. Maybe it's the lighting or the fact that I am in part color blind but it some pics it looks silver and others a golden shade and even green and white in other pics. I believe silver is right. Another problem is the hood. It has louvers in it and that may be a stumbling block for me. I was thinking of maybe just carving some in the hood even if they won't go all the way through. ???