Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Bordinat Concept Cobra

cobraman

50 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Yes I did Steve, thanks. I thought I replied. Just going forward with the kit ones. Not the look I was hoping to get but at least these fit. The other ones might just look good on a 289 Cobra.

Ray - which size of the wire wheels do you have?  Randy was selling both 24th (18.4mm) and 25th scale (15.5mm).  The small ones looked like they would fit the Cougar II that I have.

Thanks much fellows. I painted the body yesterday using Tamiya silver leaf. I have never had good luck with silver paint and this on was no exception. It will have to do but I feel this build is going south. First the wire wheels and ww tires and now a sub par paint job. I always seem to have these pictures in my minds eye but then fail to have results of what I was aiming for. Will post a couple pics later.

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

Thanks much fellows. I painted the body yesterday using Tamiya silver leaf. I have never had good luck with silver paint and this on was no exception. It will have to do but I feel this build is going south. First the wire wheels and ww tires and now a sub par paint job. I always seem to have these pictures in my minds eye but then fail to have results of what I was aiming for. Will post a couple pics later.

If you're not happy with that paint and have thoughts of re-doing it, one color that looked possible is Tamiya's Titanium Silver (x-32) maybe with a few drops of their Titanium Gold added.  Just a suggestion though.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, cobraman said:

I'm sure that you can save it, and have another Beautiful build!!!!

I am familiar with this car, I have seen it in person back in 1981 when it was at a Detroit area prototype shop to be used for a pattern for a conversion kit for Mustangs (yes, really!). It was in poor condition at that time and the ghost of a spray painted "SCRAP" was visible on the side of the car. The "XD Cobra" as it is officially named is built on the first 427 Cobra chassis, CSX3001 and therefor has coil spring suspension unlike the Cougar II which is built on an early 280 Cobra chassis with the transverse leaf springs. One interesting fact is the cars were supposedly built out of US Royal's "Royalex" material, a mouldable composite compound; I have been told they are actually fiberglass as the Royalex didn't mould properly.

A friend of mine, Jeff Burgy was responsible for the locating, borrowing of and restoration of the XD for display at the Shelby American Automobile Club convention and then the Amelia Island Concours. Jeff is a retired Ford engineer who always loved the XD.

Another story is that the XD was ordered to be scrapped and was in fact headed for the crusher (thus the "scrap" on the side) but was "saved" (stolen or liberated is how some put it) out of the styling garage and hidden for years to prevent the destruction of the car. Thus when I saw it in Taylor, Michigan I was sworn to not reveal anything about but I did manage to get some photos on the sly.

If you are doing a real replication of the car the dash is different than the Cougar II, the car has an automatic transmission and a major change is the front of the doors, the shut line is extended further forward and has a "dog leg" to the windscreen that Cougar does not have. A 65 Mustang woodgrain steering wheel was used as well as radio and heater controls from a 64 Thunderbird.

6 hours ago, absmiami said:

And and and  do you have/recall details of the engine ?????

and yes. Photos would be really cool ...

there are some good photos of the restored car from its display at the Amelia concourse in 2012 ...

The engine was a 289. The chassis is a 260 Cobra but the 289 was out when this was built. The wheels are the narrower Cobra wires which were "lip laced" so the spokes protrude further out the rim as compared to the 289 Cobra wheels. It also used Mustang bucket seats. Here are the two wheel types. The blue/red car is mine. And my attempt to replicate it with the 1/43 Monogram "Ultimates" 289 Cobra.

Lip lace wheel.jpg

IMG_3471.JPG

DSCF3608.JPG

100_0884 (1).JPG

100_0886.JPG

100_0888.JPG

Stating the obvious but what a beautiful blue Cobra.  I have seen displays at Carlisle and SAAC conventions and although I "only" had a 427 Factory Five (302 engine) for about five years, it was an attention getter and a blast to drive.  It's interesting the Borinat used the coil spring classis and the interior looks like they used whatever fit.

IMG_7961.PNG

IMG_7964.PNG