Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby re-opening

Had to run some errands yesterday, and noticed that the Hobby Lobby closest to me had re-opened, after all stores shut down a few weeks ago.  The store is operating on reduced hours, 10 AM - 7 PM IIRC.

Decided to go in and check the model section.  (I wore a mask, as I do everywhere in public these days).  The only new thing I saw was the Revell Visible V-8. No new car kits, and quite a few empty slots waiting for re-filling.  

Even worse, no Special Virus Clearance Sales. ?  

Just checked the HL website, and it says that they are open. I printed my 40% coupon, and I will be there later today. I might pick up the AMT Toyota pickup snap kit. I don't normally do snap kits, but after seeing it here a couple times, it looks pretty good.

Had to run to HL today to get some fabric for face masks. As I was talking with the lady cutting the fabric, she said they hadn't gotten a truck with stock on it for nearly 6 weeks! I am guessing that it won't be very long before they do get one but just a reminder to us all if you are in a store and wonder why the shelves are bare.

I did go over to the model section and they had some holes on the shelf but had a decent stock, did notice the paint shelves were missing a few colors.

I ordered $70 worth of paint from Burbank's and figured out that I needed something else. My LHS Web page didn't say much, their Fakebook  page was inconclusive,  so I called them to see if they were doing curbside or whatever. Nope. They are open for business as usual. I don't want to send this thread down the political sewer, but let's just say that I believe that the family that runs it would be considered "deniers". No masks, no sneeze guards, only a suggestion of social distancing. Anyway, it's good to have them open and I can protect myself as I do in Home Depot or the grocery store. Maybe they are an essential business? 

Anyway, If you are on the west coast and need hobby shop stuff, I must recommend Burbank's again for Internet orders. Not everyone has an LHS open like I do and it sucks to not have supplies.

Edited by Rodent

A lot of what determines what store is open in what area has to do with the States they are located in. We have to remember that there are 50 States trying to figure out what they think is best for them. Within those States there are Counties and even Cities that are again trying to figure out what and how to do this. So my thought is that there will be different regulations in different parts of the country, especially now that it looks like we're supposed to go back to normal, what ever that looks like now. 

We are still in mandatory lockdown until "at least May 8".  However, on last night's local news, they said Hobby Lobby is opening "in spite of the order".  Hopefully more stores will follow.  As an aside I have noticed several Michael's advertisements on the TV lately, whereas I have never seen them advertise before. 

Folks, I’d rather hobby stores be closed a while more to keep everyone safe and curtail the spread of Covidvirus. I’m not that far from the very infected NYC / NJ area and I credit that the virus hasn’t spread far into Chester County PA here to the quarantine.

Note that Germany opened up, had a reoccurrence. Rather be safe than sorry. In the end hobby supplies really don’t matter. And for the record, I’m not getting paid during the crisis.

I'd like to stop over at the LHS (was last there about three weeks before this all started), and maybe drop in to HL.  Both still closed here though, and even if they did open "early" I wouldn't think of skating on the edge of any orders in effect.  I'll keep my opinion of state/local leadership to myself, it's more that the health care personnel are still stressed and I'm not going to add to their burden right now.  I have paid more attention to eBay lately, have bought a few items and supplies there, and will drop a few bucks (and then some) locally when the dust settles.  Then too, there's NNL East in September, right around my birthday...

Edited by Mark
Added info

52 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

Uncle Sam wants their prototype parts....?

Sort of top secret..... ?

Heh!  Years ago at an aerospace company, I got an interesting job assignment. My boss asked if I would drive a box truck from Los Angeles to Utah with another guy, pick up A Thing, and drive straight back to L.A.  No stops other than fuel.  

The boss gave us an envelope and said: "Do not allow anybody to open the back of that truck, not even the police.  If they try, show them this."  

Coming back, we had to stop at Agricultural Inspection on the CA border.  Sure enough, the duty officer wanted to open the back of the truck. I gave him the envelope.  He read the letter inside and said, "OK, this is above my pay grade.  Go on thru."

We couldn't wait to see that letter.  It was very short and basically said: "If you have any questions, call this telephone number."  The number was in Washington, DC and belonged to An Agency that owned The Thing.

16 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

My LHS has been open when I last stop by. HOWEVER, our communist governor (Oregon) just extended her lock down to JULY 6th! I guess her mission is to make EVERYONE file for bankruptcy.

Extended the state of emergency, not the Stay at home order.  Two different things.

Was at the LHS for paint. Owner lady was literally 1 foot away from a couple and their children while showing them some model rocket stuff. I was wearing a mask,not because I think it will protect me, but it sends a message to the people who have to work during this. Saw a dad/son with masks and one other really old guy with one. Everyone else, no. Still had to break up the RC Bros to get something for a locked display case. Stupid. This is why we are buying online.