Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby re-opening

15 hours ago, Dave Van said:

How does that Z car scale out???? We ran one like that in SCCA early 1980's......like to make a DC of it if that one scales out well. thx

I haven't seen that one, but M2 has a nice Fairlady Z that seems to be in scale. 

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Box says 1:24.

Out of 10 1/24 die cast......I bet 5 are not the scale stated.  I go by WB and track....if they are correct I go with it.....but been burned by so many I don't buy unless I know it is scale. JADA is the worst.....I bought a 1/24 FnF Honda 2000 online....when I got it it was almost 1/18...not stated 24th.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, Spruslayer said:

Just back from the local HL to pick up some paint and low and behold what did i see on the shelf?

Dident check the price but im sure after %40 off its far below what i paid online

amt1178.jpg

I just bought one at HL. After using the 40% coupon, I paid $17 and change for it. Even the retail price was cheap. It doesn't get better than that. 

13 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I did manage to get a 1967 Chevy Supernatural car at my local store on Tuesday. Magic coupon of course 

Encouraged by your score, I went to my HL today. No joy. They seem to have restocked on cars, as there were only two "holes" on the shelf. I checked the labels on both holes and neither seemed to have anything to do with the SN '67 Impala. 

Ended up buying another can of Model Master Nassau Blue paint while I could still get it just so the whole trip wasn't a complete waste of time and gas. :unsure:

I was at my HL yesterday and shelves were almost empty. But at the end of the isle was 9 boxes of models. Lots of re-stock...I didn't see new stuff.....but I didn't go through every box. Good to see stuff selling!!!  I got a Revell Rubicon Jeep and sanding film. 

My store was in the midst of a restack. Carts full of merchandise going to new spaces. More diecast space in model aisle. The opposite side of model paints and supplies now is puzzles, which were at opposite end of store. Stamp and coin collecting supplies moved across that aisle and to opposite end.

No clearance kits

Edited by Tom Geiger
Fricken autocorrect!

They are finally getting ready to open the one near me. They announced last August they signed a lease and nothing till about a month ago they finally started working on the place and they put the sign up this week. They are saying opening the first week in September is planned...

4 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Wish they would open one up in Dearborn, Mi.,.... ?

Be careful what you wish for! 95% of the store is ladies crafts and home decor! One aisle of model stuff. If you have local hobby shops you are better off. A Hobby Lobby will kill them

19 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Be careful what you wish for! 95% of the store is ladies crafts and home decor! One aisle of model stuff. If you have local hobby shops you are better off. A Hobby Lobby will kill them

We don’t have a local hobby shop just a Micheal’s so I’m looking forward to getting the Hobby Lobby..

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

It's not much, but it's better than nothing. 

I don’t know, I went into my local store for the first time since March or February and it was about the same, it sis have the ‘60 Chevy P/U, Godzilla Army Jeep, Escalade......ended up buying the new issue Hemi Cuda instead since I have yet to before.

22 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Disagree.......

'MY' independent hobby shop has 2 Hobby Lobby within 10 miles. He has great service and much better selection on CRAFT items. None of the wall art or 'decor' that HL has......but that matters little to my wife or me.....a great store for both of us.

Also...do not dismiss the 95% of the rest of Hobby Lobby.  I buy matt board, wood, craft paints, glues and things like white and red pencils I use for dash gauges. And in the jewelry dept I have found some cool little detail items. 

My Hobby Lobby is 1.25 hour drive, Hobby shop almost 3. I go to the hobby shop when I can but that is a all day trip.....HL I can run to.

This COVID BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH has been much harder on my hobby shop than HL is. Thanks 

34 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Disagree.......

'MY' independent hobby shop has 2 Hobby Lobby within 10 miles. He has great service and much better selection on CRAFT items. None of the wall art or 'decor' that HL has......but that matters little to my wife or me.....a great store for both of us.

In New Jersey two of the three hobby shops in my local home area closed up. Both of them were around for at least 30 years, for my entire time in the hobby. Both of them had relocated at least once.

Avenel Hobbies was primarily plastic models. No RC.  They stocked a lot of after market.  Randy told me that as soon as Hobby Lobby opened up on the highway, kit sales dropped to nothing. People were coming in with HLs 40% off coupon demanding they match it. He said he didn’t have the mark up to match it. He closed up. 

Hobby Masters in Red Bank, similar story when HL opened up in nearby Middletown.   Then they lost their lease as that entire block of old one and two story stores will be demolished for a new high rise condo building.  They knew they couldn’t relocate and start over again. Gone!

”The Hobby Shop” in Aberdeen survives, but last time I was there they had reduced models to a small kiosk. They seem to do okay with RC, boy and Girl Scout supplies and had cleared out a bunch of space for tables for gaming and kids parties.

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 5/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Rodent said:

Don't tell the county, but my LHS decided they were essential and have been open through this whole mess.

Mine too, although you had to knock on the window and get the owners attention first. Sort of reminded me of that Last Man Standing episode when Mike is trying to buy incandescent light bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...