Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby re-opening

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Good to know - I was at the Deerfield store today and there was nothing on sale or clearanced. No Supernatural Impala yet either, though they had the two-door hardtop. Will check back soon...

I stopped by the closest HL yesterday. That store is in a very small South Carolina town and takes forever to get new kits.  I always check the "Clearance" section first, no kits there.

But they had ONE...count'em, ONE...Supernatural '67 Chevy 4-door left on the shelf.  I grabbed it and used the magic coupon on my phone, so it cost $19.07.

Maybe they had more in the back, or maybe the kits arrived late last week and sold very quickly.  They weren't there last Wed. when I checked. 

The stores here do clearance/stock reset twice a year.  Maybe they will skip the next one because of the long closure in many areas, and many hobby items (including model kits) selling well after the reopening...

Stopped in for some paint today, and there were no new kits yet, but there were some new shelf labels. Coming soon: 65 Fairlane Mod Stock, AMT 64 Plymouth Belvedere, Revell 29 Ford Roadster, Schwinn 10 Speed bike, and I think there was one more that I can't remember.

Stopped at the HL in Overland Park yesterday and noticed a few holes in their model display area. I tried to read the label that they place on the shelf to see what was missing or maybe what was coming. I noticed they had a "D" written on the label. I went over to their clearance area and found a half a dozen ''39 /'40 Ford sedan kits and a '69 AMT Oldsmobile that came home with me. $7 and change with pad printed rwl tires, can't pass that up. I was going over to Shawnee anyway so I looked in there and they also had the Fords on mark down but in the model area. This looks like they are getting ready to rotate some stock so HL might be a good place to check out.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Stopped at the HL in Overland Park yesterday and noticed a few holes in their model display area. I tried to read the label that they place on the shelf to see what was missing or maybe what was coming. I noticed they had a "D" written on the label. I went over to their clearance area and found a half a dozen ''39 /'40 Ford sedan kits and a '69 AMT Oldsmobile that came home with me. $7 and change with pad printed rwl tires, can't pass that up. I was going over to Shawnee anyway so I looked in there and they also had the Fords on mark down but in the model area. This looks like they are getting ready to rotate some stock so HL might be a good place to check out.  

I think the labels with the D on them are the old ones, I posted 3 posts above what mew labels were at the HL here.

65 Fairlane stocker-64 Plymouth-29 roadster-Schwinn bike.

40 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I've never seen a clearance section at my nearest HL. The only thing I have found is items with red clearance price tags on the regular shelves. 

That's odd........when I did a lot of traveling every HL I went to had a close out section.....in a different place in each store....but every one of them had one.  These ran from FLA to ILL and all between. 

58 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I've never seen a clearance section at my nearest HL. The only thing I have found is items with red clearance price tags on the regular shelves. 

Ours has a clearance section, but the model kits rarely ever make it over there. They just red tag them, and they're gone in two days.

When the local HL's mark kits down they usually leave them in their respective slot on the shelf. 

Paint I have found moved to the clearance section more often than not.

Another thing to keep in mind- most HL's have more than one clearance section and they are not all in the same place. Some of their stores are laid out differently than others.

I had posted some time ago in another thread.. I thought it odd that I’ve never seen clearance kits at my local HL so I asked a manager. He said a guy comes in looking every day and buys them all!  Interesting to me since I don’t know any modelers in my immediate area. Probably just some kit vendor reselling them. 

Today I took a different way home from my new job and saw a HL I’ve never been to..  didn’t stop, I figure I already have more than I need!

56 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I had posted some time ago in another thread.. I thought it odd that I’ve never seen clearance kits at my local HL so I asked a manager. He said a guy comes in looking every day and buys them all!  Interesting to me since I don’t know any modelers in my immediate area. Probably just some kit vendor reselling them. 

Today I took a different way home from my new job and saw a HL I’ve never been to..  didn’t stop, I figure I already have more than I need!

We had customers at Toys “R” Us like that,  many of which had tax exempt forms since they were resellers.....got to the point I couldn’t stand most of them too.

58 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Every day! If he's doing that for a profit he's sure going about it the wrong way. Sure is alot of time & fuel for a couple of discounted kits.

There are 3 Hobby Lobbys in driving distance of me.  I've seen clearanced kits in different places in all 3 stores.

In addition to being in the regular "Clearance" section or red-tagged on the model shelf, sometimes they're on one of the "islands" in the big aisles.  Usually near the model kits section, but not always.  

A few months ago in the "Clearance" section at my closest store, they were really trying to get rid of an AMT '65 Continental.  It was marked down to $1.97 and went home with me.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

In addition to being in the regular "Clearance" section or red-tagged on the model shelf, sometimes they're on one of the "islands" in the big aisles.  Usually near the model kits section, but not always.  

That's how my store does it. Sometimes some clearance price tags on the shelves. 

They just clearance tag them on the shelf at my local HL

Update: I stopped at a HL North of me and found a Revell Land Rover Series III and the Revell '29 Ford.  Nothing else was new and nothing was on clearance. 

Edited by Daddyfink

7 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Update: I stopped at a HL North of me and found a Revell Land Rover Series III and the Revell '29 Ford.  Nothing else was new and nothing was on clearance. 

From 3000 miles away: I saw the Revell Land Rover this morning at the closest HL. Plus the Revell '29 Ford, and AMT '65 Fairlane Modified Stocker.  The Land Rover was a surprise. 

None of the 3 new kits had HL price tags on them yet, so maybe they had just been put on the shelves during a re-stock.  They only had 1 of the Land Rover, but several of the other 2 kits.

Hit the Niles store today; found some aircraft and armor kits on clearance and one 1/20 scale Toyota pickup. There were holes for the kits Rich Costello mentioned, plus a lot of openings for Gundam kits. There's a bin on the top shelf with seven or eight Revell '68 Chevelles, but not marked down. Will try Deerfield again tomorrow and Vernon Hills.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:06 PM, RichCostello said:

I think the labels with the D on them are the old ones, I posted 3 posts above what mew labels were at the HL here.

65 Fairlane stocker-64 Plymouth-29 roadster-Schwinn bike.

The reissue of the '64 Plymouth would be welcomed here.   

Stopped in at my local HL yesterday (Hobart, IN).  Still no Supernatural Impalas, but they finally did have several new releases: '65 Fairlane Stocker, '70 Galaxie Police, and the Revell '29 Roadster.  First new kits I've seen there since the reopening.I

For all I know, they may be carrying the SN Impalas and they're just selling out.  They only seem to stock two of each kit on the shelves, and frankly they don't seem too diligent about restocking at this location.

No auto kits on clearance either, but did see some aircraft/ships with red tags. Suspect there's probably several guys that come in systematically to poach any marked down car/truck kits.  I scored a bunch several years ago, but that was just timing/dumb luck on my part.

Edited by Robberbaron