Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby re-opening

So we have a few LHS's here, one has been only open for curbside/will mail it to you orders , the other, was when I called , "come in, were are open"  and they were, and they were busy, but they did have signs up, the cashier was wearing a mask and taking per-cautions to.  I have no idea if they have been open the entire time or like many business here that decided on Friday to open up going against the order to stay closed for 2 more weeks

Edited by martinfan5

My nearest Hobby Lobby in N.Virginia tried to stay open at the onset of "The Virus" arguing that it could be regarded as essential since it sells arts and crafts and school supplies for home schooled kids and fabrics that could be used for masks...didnt work...they had to close. Shame because even though their model kit selection is paltry ( mostly muscle car and truck kits and a few military subjects ) its the only place local I can buy Tamiya rattle cans ( white and gray primer only ) and the Krylon selection is pretty good, especially when you factor in those daily 40% off coupons. So Ive had to make do with what I had on hand. But I just noticed that the nearby Michaels craft store was open with limited admittance...10 at a time. Now why are they open but not Hobby Lobby? Hope it's not politics. 

19 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

My nearest Hobby Lobby in N.Virginia tried to stay open at the onset of "The Virus" arguing that it could be regarded as essential since it sells arts and crafts and school supplies for home schooled kids and fabrics that could be used for masks...didnt work...they had to close. Shame because even though their model kit selection is paltry ( mostly muscle car and truck kits and a few military subjects ) its the only place local I can buy Tamiya rattle cans ( white and gray primer only ) and the Krylon selection is pretty good, especially when you factor in those daily 40% off coupons. So Ive had to make do with what I had on hand. But I just noticed that the nearby Michaels craft store was open with limited admittance...10 at a time. Now why are they open but not Hobby Lobby? Hope it's not politics. 

This situation is getting absurd.  Target and Walmart happen to sell groceries and just about everything else so you can shop there and not buy food and just get clothes.  But Kohls sells clothes and not food so they are out of luck.  I would almost best the large chain stores will add a food aisle so they can remain open next time.  I went to the new Hobby Lobby that opened in the old ToysRus and as you said the selection is very good compared to Michaels.  I cant wait until this mess is over.

There are three Hobby Lobbys in N. Va. by my count....all closed. But the closest Michaels is open...to limited attendance. Wonder if Christian ownership of Hobby Lobby  has anything to do with that...sort of like the flak Chic-Fil-A gets .

13 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

There are three Hobby Lobbys in N. Va. by my count....all closed. But the closest Michaels is open...to limited attendance. Wonder if Christian ownership of Hobby Lobby  has anything to do with that...sort of like the flak Chic-Fil-A gets .

Would not surprise me.

Nearest HL is in Kansas, closed until further notice. Second closest is in Missouri open 9 to 5 or there about.  At least I have somewhere to go if I need supplies since the actual Hobby Shops still can't open.  

14 hours ago, styromaniac said:

I figured it was more of a “Fine, I’ll take my hall and go home then!” type tantrum since Michaels is doing curbside pickup, like Best Buy, not sure why HobbyLobby couldn’t have tried to go for that too.  Keep in mind, in areas that decided to open against the advice of medical experts, Chic-Fil-A joined other drive through chains and franchises in keeping their dinning rooms closed until safe. I don’t agree with some of their stances, but I’m more than willing to give them credit on that move!

Edited by Joe Handley

2 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Good question. Guess it has to do with individual store manager attitudes.

If it were stand alone stores or even franchises like Hobby Town, I could see that, but HL is a chain, like Michaels and Best Buy, I doubt the managers likely don’t have that much autonomy.

Hobby Lobby I think wants to reopen ASAP. The problem is the stores must adhere to the state and local mandates as to when and what type of store can open. As an example here the Kansas stores are unable to open as of yet, but the stores a couple of miles away in Missouri are open.   

15 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I figured it was more of a “Fine, I’ll take my hall and go home then!” type tantrum since Michaels is doing curbside pickup, like Best Buy, not sure why HobbyLobby couldn’t have tried to go for that too.  Keep in mind, in areas that decided to open against the advice of medical experts, Chic-Fil-A joined other drive through chains and franchises in keeping their dinning rooms closed until safe. I don’t agree with some of their stances, but I’m more than willing to give them credit on that move!

I admittedly haven't been in HL in over a year, but have they gone to SKU "guns" yet, or are they still typing everything in manually? It would be next to impossible to take call-in/web orders for products if they still  don't have an automated inventory system to know what they do and don't have on hand without needing someone to run around the store and physically check. You'd also have to put in some sort of system to keep people from putting in say 5 one item orders and applying a 40% coupon to each one.

With the number of hobby shops that have gone online via eBay or their own sites, I'd think people would want to support those LHS struggling to make ends meet, even if they aren't in your specific local area over worrying about whether or not a multi-billion dollar corporation has which locations open. Is the addiction to that coupon that bad?

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I admittedly haven't been in HL in over a year, but have they gone to SKU "guns" yet, or are they still typing everything in manually? It would be next to impossible to take call-in/web orders for products if they still  don't have an automated inventory system to know what they do and don't have on hand without needing someone to run around the store and physically check. You'd also have to put in some sort of system to keep people from putting in say 5 one item orders and applying a 40% coupon to each one.

With the number of hobby shops that have gone online via eBay or their own sites, I'd think people would want to support those LHS struggling to make ends meet, even if they aren't in your specific local area over worrying about whether or not a multi-billion dollar corporation has which locations open. Is the addiction to that coupon that bad?

I was just thinking that  " multi-billion dollar corporation" is one of the few that stock models, and buy a lot of them from manufactures. So it might help the model companies stay in business by having those bigger sales, in addition to the LHS.

20 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Went by my local HL and they opened at 9:00 AM for seniors over 60 and 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM for all others. Shelves were full but were the same kits as before the lockout.

I can go into Walmart and only buy diecast cars with a hundred customers in the store buying whatever they fill their carts with while they browse every aisle and that is safe,  but shopping in a large craft store for five minutes with mostly women customers is not safe.  It's gotten to be a strange world we are in especially since I am in the 60+ group now. ?

So I live on the NC / SC border, and the closest HL is actually in SC and has been open for over a week now. I ran in there the other day to get some fabric for masks and checked the model aisle. I will be back there tomorrow as business will take me in that direction and I will check out what may be new or re-stocked.

In NC, the governor announced today that all retail stores can start re-opening this Friday, with social distancing guidelines and mask wearing mandatory. While I look forward to being able to get back to stores again, I have managed to live without many stores. I have found a lot of what I need online so life ain't so bad. No LHS here to support, but have found a few online worthy of my money!

Will be interesting going forward how business changes. In an article in today's Chicago Tribune, they interviewed the President of Revell USA and he was discussing how the business was saved a few years ago and most importantly, they have seen a 90% increase in sales since this virus started.