Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decided to do another two for one project with these two Fujimi 1/24 Ford GT40's. |The white one represents the Ford France entry to the 1967 Targa Florio. It was painted with Tamiya TS-7 Racing white. The blue Gulf sponsered car is the 1968 Lemans entry. It is painted a custom mix blue and orange. This was done to match an existing diecast in my collection.  See the picture caption for a better description of the paint. A sister car to this one won the Lemans event in 1968. Both kits had many parts in common as well as the order of assembly so it made sense to do them at the same time. Keeping the variations seperate was a little bit of a problem but in the end it saved time and got both done. Thanks for looking.

DSC06949.JPG.766e1fa01b62d64780cd7edd3a34d096.JPG

I added seat bestblets robbing the PE hardware from tow other Fujimi kits. The belts are 2mm silk thread.  About those seat rivets...several methods of painting them were tried and I finally  wound up hand painting all of them and the touching them back up with and India ink pen. It took awhile. 

DSC06952.JPG.2b8eb048852a6f7e2c52e5ab2ac13ba2.JPGBoth kits went together very well but the rear decks still had to be pinned on to stay in place. 

DSC06954.JPG.033c0b1a9ad18726acf89913dab4fd10.JPG

The graphics on this car were hand painted rather than using the kit decals. The hood roundel is actually vinyl tape cut with a compass. The strip would have shown through the decal. The black lines on the graphics are also vinyl tape cut down and applied seperately. 

DSC06955.JPG.bb21505a7eebeaf2eba0ccd69cba0f2e.JPGRear end veiw show the wider bodywork on the Gulf car. This was to cover the wider tires used at the time.

DSC06959.JPG.7a85ebf42702644e50ee9c8bdcba1dd3.JPGThe stripes showed through the white roundels. These strips had to be carefully cut and peeled away when the roundels were applied. The hood was the most tedious and the decals also had to fit down into one of the vents. 

DSC06956.JPG.740041f2ddf64a6d5dc22a04e787db35.JPGIt took four different colors to mix the blue and I fear I onl;y got it close enough. The orange matched up much easier. Those wheels were fun to mask and spray. Note the extra lighting need for night time racing at Lemans.  The Diecast is a fairly rare 1/20 Revell.  Nicely detailed with opening doors and engine cover.  It also has a detailed engine and the model is mostly curbside. 

??.  Very nice work on one version not seen built (the Ford of France) too often.  I think you are right about building these together.  Every time I build the Tamiya or Revell ones I forget the quirks of these kits.  The 1/20 diecast is one not in my collection but I see them on Ebay sometimes.  The color seemed off to me but for the $$$ it looks nice - just an odd scale.  Keep up the good work and keep those GT40's coming. 

14 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

??.  Very nice work on one version not seen built (the Ford of France) too often.  I think you are right about building these together.  Every time I build the Tamiya or Revell ones I forget the quirks of these kits.  The 1/20 diecast is one not in my collection but I see them on Ebay sometimes.  The color seemed off to me but for the $$$ it looks nice - just an odd scale.  Keep up the good work and keep those GT40's coming. 

Rex..thank you for the compliments and encouragement. I do have two more in the works...both resin conversions. The Revell diecast was offered right from Revell several (maybe as much as 20) years ago. It was one of two masterpiece items offered by them, the other being a 427 Cobra, which I also have. Bought them direct (not cheap either) when they were heavily advertised in one of the model magazines. Good luck in your search, they are very nice pieces to have. That Gulf blue is very difficult to match. Anything in the light,grey,blue or green segement is because our eyes are just not that sensitive to those colors. 

1 hour ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Rex..thank you for the compliments and encouragement. I do have two more in the works...both resin conversions. The Revell diecast was offered right from Revell several (maybe as much as 20) years ago. It was one of two masterpiece items offered by them, the other being a 427 Cobra, which I also have. Bought them direct (not cheap either) when they were heavily advertised in one of the model magazines. Good luck in your search, they are very nice pieces to have. That Gulf blue is very difficult to match. Anything in the light,grey,blue or green segement is because our eyes are just not that sensitive to those colors. 

Rich,

I do have the red 427 and the 65 GT350 from that series.  There was a red GT40 MKII that was basically an Exoto 1/18 but sold under another brand perhaps that was Danbury or somebody else.  I would have to dig through the old brochures.

Are the resin conversions to do a 67 Daytona version or the Mark II's w/o the rear scoops?  Asking for a friend.  ?

IMG_7793.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Rich,

I do have the red 427 and the 65 GT350 from that series.  There was a red GT40 MKII that was basically an Exoto 1/18 but sold under another brand perhaps that was Danbury or somebody else.  I would have to dig through the old brochures.

Are the resin conversions to do a 67 Daytona version or the Mark II's w/o the rear scoops?  Asking for a friend.  ?

Both of them are Mini Exotics and the spyder versions.  

10 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Interesting.  I built the CMA 66 Sebring X-1 winner and have the DDP roadster on order.  I also have the roadster X-1  conversion kit from Indycals.

I have had these two and their donor kits for probably 20yrs now.  Gramps was kind enough to PM me on his build. And between the two of you this may be just the kick in the pants to get these projects off the ground. I have an entire shelf in my display cases devoted to nothing but the Ford GT.  There is still room for two more. 

44 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Ok, this just might be the kick in the seat of my pants to finish off these that I have started and never finished.

100_1035.JPG.0026cc4fe32f986393819cbe02797135.JPG

OK Gary, now you have my curiosity up . Who makes the "J" car and the MK IV above it. Would luv to see these finished. 

All are 1/24th scale. The J Car is a Strombecker which has been narrowed, the MKIV is a resin Le Mans Miniatures, the green #14 is a resin SMTS, the #15 Mirage is a Mini Exotics, the X-1 Sebring is a CMA, the red #14 is a Fujimi, and the 1964 is a combination of Cox nose and tail on a Fujimi center section.

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

All are 1/24th scale. The J Car is a Strombecker which has been narrowed, the MKIV is a resin Le Mans Miniatures, the green #14 is a resin SMTS, the #15 Mirage is a Mini Exotics, the X-1 Sebring is a CMA, the red #14 is a Fujimi, and the 1964 is a combination of Cox nose and tail on a Fujimi center section.

Yes it would be nice to see some of these "under glass."  I tend to build the rarer or resin kits before I do most plastic kits as it is cool to build a one-off or limited edition transkit that you would never find in even the most stocked hobby shops back in the day.  It's so much easier to order online vs. the old days when we had to fill out an order form and send in a check or credit card number.  Paypal - whats' that?

IMG_7016.JPG

Edited by vamach1

11 hours ago, Bantoft said:

Nice builds Rich.  I always thought Gulf blue was Triumph Powder Blue?  Seem to recall reading it somewhere.

Dave B

Dave....you are entering the  "Gulf Blue zone" The choice of the color for the car often varys with whats available at the time. They may very well have used that colour at the time.   Race car builders aren't as concerned with the color of the car as much as they are its performance. Sometimes sponsers have to be appeased but that's about it. They use whatever is handy and often the color can vary from race to race. So the choice of color on a model is often subjective. In my case I was trying to match an existing model because they were going to be displayed side by side. I only got close. And who knows if the model manufacturer, in this case Revell, came close to the original.  Thanks for the compliment BTW.   Hows that Shadow  doing ??

13 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dave....you are entering the  "Gulf Blue zone" The choice of the color for the car often varys with whats available at the time. They may very well have used that colour at the time.   Race car builders aren't as concerned with the color of the car as much as they are its performance. Sometimes sponsers have to be appeased but that's about it. They use whatever is handy and often the color can vary from race to race. So the choice of color on a model is often subjective. In my case I was trying to match an existing model because they were going to be displayed side by side. I only got close. And who knows if the model manufacturer, in this case Revell, came close to the original.  Thanks for the compliment BTW.   Hows that Shadow  doing ??

Hi Rich, ordered the decals 6 weeks ago but still waiting.  All mail is being fumigated. Holding off till I get them so I can open vents.

Dave B