Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford - Curtis Turner (Smokey Yunick)

curt raitz

Another model I'm building for the "Curtis Turner Wing" at the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, Virginia.

1957 Ford Curtis Turner drove in a NASCAR race at Darlington Raceway September 2, 1957 for Smokey Yunick. He started in 3rd place and finished 11th.

Built using Revell's Fireball Roberts '57 Ford. Paint is Tamiya TS-14 Black and Scalefinishes "Granada Gold". Decals are from "Steve".

DSC_1007_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1008_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1009_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1011_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1012_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1013_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1016_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1017_Fotor-vi.jpg

DSC_1019_Fotor-vi.jpg

Here are a couple of '57 Fords Curtis drove...

DSC_1094_Fotor-vi.jpg

thanx for lookin'...

The model cars are my favorite part of the museum.    They need to dust in there though.   Models were clean but most other displays were kinda dusty and the train layout was horrible.   With dust.   The layout itself is great.   Great work, btw!

On 5/18/2020 at 6:51 AM, randyc said:

The model cars are my favorite part of the museum.    They need to dust in there though.   Models were clean but most other displays were kinda dusty and the train layout was horrible.   With dust.   The layout itself is great.   Great work, btw!

Thank You, I have not seen the display since I met Curtis Turners daughter there in November 2017. I dropped off two models and since have sent 10 more to her. I have built a lot more since the stay at home thingy started. My goal is to build a model or two of cars Curtis Turner drove each year. 

19 hours ago, curt raitz said:

Thank You, I have not seen the display since I met Curtis Turners daughter there in November 2017. I dropped off two models and since have sent 10 more to her. I have built a lot more since the stay at home thingy started. My goal is to build a model or two of cars Curtis Turner drove each year. 

I was up there earleir this year.   Not too far from home, 1.5 hours.   I remember several models in the display case they have for Turner's memorabilia.   I would HOPE they use them all.  I would probably try to work the car display into something more cohesive than they have, but they are primarily a TRAIN museum.    Cool idea about building them all.  Hope the daughter continues to donate to museum.  

Thanks for building these.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:43 AM, randyc said:

I was up there earleir this year.   Not too far from home, 1.5 hours.   I remember several models in the display case they have for Turner's memorabilia.   I would HOPE they use them all.  I would probably try to work the car display into something more cohesive than they have, but they are primarily a TRAIN museum.    Cool idea about building them all.  Hope the daughter continues to donate to museum.  

Thanks for building these.

She wants to have a museum for him in Floyd, Virginia...his hometown. Last I heard she was looking for a building and funds.

That would be cool.  And a great little day trip for us.   And there are a LOT of modelers in that area that could probably produce a whole field or more of cars.    I know it's about more than the models though.   CT was definitely an interesting character.  

On 5/22/2020 at 5:46 AM, randyc said:

That would be cool.  And a great little day trip for us.   And there are a LOT of modelers in that area that could probably produce a whole field or more of cars.    I know it's about more than the models though.   CT was definitely an interesting character.  

Yes he was. I got started on the "Curtis Turner" thing about 4 years ago. Desert Scale Classic (Phoenix) had a category for Nostalgia NASCAR in their contest.

Being as though we both share our first name, I decided to build a model his - 1956 Convertible. After researching and finding out what a character he was inspired me to build more of his cars.

It's been a fun journey, so far

• 2 months later...