Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Bonneville

hedotwo

Still waiting for side view mirrors (thanks Slusher!) to be placed but this one is finished as far as I'm taking it.  First, sorry for the photo quality.  I use my iphone and it generally takes pretty decent pix but these are kinda grainy after reducing to 880x600.  Doesn't seem to have happened before, but oh well.  I'm not really happy with the paint job either.  I used Testors Mythical Maroon and, while I like the maroon itself, I was surprised with the amount of gold metallic.  To my eyes it's way out of scale to have that much glitter.  I resisted the urge to wet sand the mildly rough color coat before applying the Wet Look clear, after reading lots of tips on metallic colors not liking sanding.  In hindsight, I think I should have sanded.  I'm guessing it might have turned out better.  From my experience using rattle cans (I spray maybe 50% of my builds with my airbrush, the other half are rattle can) Testors nozzles spray way too heavy, while Tamiya's cans spray much lighter and finer.  Lesson learned.  Otherwise, considering the condition of the car when I began I'm pretty happy with adding it to my Pontiac collection.

IMG_5684.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

7 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I resisted the urge to wet sand the mildly rough color coat before applying the Wet Look clear, after reading lots of tips on metallic colors not liking sanding.  In hindsight, I think I should have sanded.

Metallics and Pearls = positively no colour sanding . Those kinds of paints need only their clear top-coat to be wet sanded (if necessary ; your results may vary) . The metallic or pearl will gouge the colour , acting much like sandpaper themselves .

Never-the-less... Great looking Pontiac ! Keep up the great work !

Nice take on a subject that's not seen every day.  If the color coat was as "glittery" as you say, I think you made the right call not to wet sand it unless you were willing to shoot another light top coat of color to even things out before the clear.  Regardless, the end result looks good to me...

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Metallics and Pearls = positively no colour sanding . Those kinds of paints need only their clear top-coat to be wet sanded (if necessary ; your results may vary) . The metallic or pearl will gouge the colour , acting much like sandpaper themselves .

I agree 100%.

If you had color sanded this Bonneville, you would have wished that you hadn't. ;)

Steve

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree 100%.

If you had color sanded this Bonneville, you would have wished that you hadn't. ;)

Steve

You guys have convinced me.  I just need to get the color coat to lay a bit flatter then.  I'm usually pretty good with that, but this one turned out just a bit pebbly.  Overall, I'm not terribly disappointed with the finish, it just could've been smoother.  Like I said above, I find the testor's rattle cans seem to me to spray much heavier than tamiya's.  Not sure if it's the paint itself or just the nozzles.  Fine for wet coats, but hard for lighter dustings.

Thanks guys.

Edited by hedotwo
Punctuation