Model Cars Magazine Forum

World Of Warships Tier 7 Richelieu in Type 3 camo

Hi guys

I am a massive World Of Warships fan, and I recently built a 1/570 Scharnhorst for my friend who is also an avid player. I had a blast making it, so decided that I'd build a ship for myself. I bought the Flyhawk Konigsberg as well as this, the Trumpeter 1/700 Richelieu. In the game (XB-1 / PS-4) this is the top tier French Battleship (alongside the John Bart) and I love it. It's fast and maneuverable for a battleship and it just has that French beauty to it with its raked funnel and those awesome secondary batteries on the rear end.

I used the Flyhawk PE set and the Artwox Wooden deck set. I think PE is wasted on me really. I'm not that good with it, which some of you may find surprising given the small nature of my other stuff, but PE is a very different animal to styrene.
At any rate, it looks like the ship from the game, so that's all that really matters to me there :)

49858781676_64f461fb7f_c.jpg

49858780926_a0c0bec853_c.jpg

49858245603_1b46959130_c.jpg

49859090792_e937fb4c62_c.jpg

49858241393_a9252ed450_c.jpg

49858794406_120b1da627_c.jpg

49858791846_563b90823f_c.jpg

49858256638_bc9c817a49_c.jpg

The stand was just an exercise on rusting effects. I cut notes out of the top bits to try and make them look like hard rubber.

49858248008_c9daaf2554_c.jpg

49858251048_ffcb530d3d_c.jpg

49858252783_3668f3477e_c.jpg

49859103157_2698bc0eff_c.jpg

Suppose I'd better go back to the SD but I am going to finish off the Konigsberg first. Besides, I don't have enough bench space with me working from home now. My work stuff takes up the rest of the space
Anyways, thanks for stopping in and having a look
Si

Edited by Madhatter

Fabulous. I see what you mean on the funnel, I've never seen anything like that design on a battleship. But I never knew a lot about French ships.

Thanks for sharing this.

Fantastic work!  That rigging in 1/700 would have me gluing my fingers together repeatedly. I know nothing about French battleships either, other than their names in WWII history books.  So this was something different and interesting to see.

The U.S. Naval Institute Press publishes lots of obscure books on naval history and engineering.  Some are fascinating, especially the technology race leading up to the all-big-gun Dreadnought battleships.   

thanks guys. The rigging was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. I bought some Ezi-line and I really like how easy it is to use.

I really love the design of this ship. Maybe not so much having all of the firepower up front - that's not always a good thing. But those rear secondaries are very effective (in game anyway).

Say what you will about computer games, it got me interested in WW2 battleships and cruisers. I have a Konigsberg, Nelson and a Yamato to do as well. I've already started the Konigsberg and that too will be in type 3 camo (splinter scheme basically). I don't care that they are not real life schemes. They look way more interesting than just grey.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow Simon.  What a model.  You should post a pic of your ship with something of recognizable scale next to it so we can appreciate how big it really is.  I have a book with mention/pics of this ship and it's nice to see an actual model of a very unique vessel.  Great job, cheers, Tim

thanks very much for the kind posts guys

Sorry Tim, I didn't think of that but next time I have the camera out, I'll take one and post it.

I agree, it's a very unique ship and in my opinion, one of the nicest looking BB's of that era - well, as good looking as a ship can be I guess :)

Spectacular work Simon!

Your detail is (of course) excellent and your weathering effects look great.

Years ago I built a small LST for my brother who served on her during his time in the U.S. Navy and the PE work on in nearly drove me batty. So I have an appreciation for the level of work that went into the one you built.

If I may, here is a snap of the U.S. Navy LST 1180, USS Manitowoc.

l_4790966b72f5498399863701ab5071c4.jpg.a019d98df64de55197e903c03c76f010.jpg

Regards,

David G.

that's a nice - if a bit odd, looking ship there David.  You're lucky you didn't have to do rigging. That is an interesting task

BTW, I never have an issue with people sharing stuff their builds on my threads, so yeah - you definitely may :)

• 3 months later...