Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford F100 service truck

Hi, hope you're all well. I finished this up on Sunday, wanted to share with you. Paint is Rustoleum almond over plastikote, (by Valspar), white primer. I scratched the utility rack from styrene square. The hooks are solder. The ladder was made from toothpicks & coffee stirrer. The wood load is also stirrers. The tie down loops & "rope" are ship rigging pieces. The rear bumper was swapped with a parts box piece. The decals were quite fragile and a lot of time was spent piecing them together. Other than that, a great kit I had fun assembling. Thanks for looking.

20200503_094912_HDR.jpg

20200503_094928_HDR.jpg

20200503_101536_HDR.jpg

20200503_101458_HDR.jpg

20200503_094846_HDR.jpg

20200503_101659_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great looking work truck. As others have mentioned and I agree, the added details that you created including the Rack it's self are what really stand out on this build. I enjoy studying all the little details and the rigging.  

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, Chuckyg1 said:

Hi, hope you're all well. I finished this up on Sunday, wanted to share with you. Paint is Rustoleum almond over plastikote, (by Valspar), white primer. I scratched the utility rack from styrene square. The hooks are solder. The ladder was made from toothpicks & coffee stirrer. The wood load is also stirrers. The tie down loops & "rope" are ship rigging pieces. The rear bumper was swapped with a parts box piece. The decals were quite fragile and a lot of time was spent piecing them together. Other than that, a great kit I had fun assembling. Thanks for looking.

20200503_094912_HDR.jpg

20200503_094928_HDR.jpg

20200503_101536_HDR.jpg

20200503_101458_HDR.jpg

20200503_094846_HDR.jpg

20200503_101659_HDR.jpg

I know this is a really old post, but i love this truck and have a question about the paint. 

I once painted with rustoleam enamel and it took days to dry. Did this take a long time to dry. Is this the same paint you used?

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-338884-Stops-Advanced-Almond/dp/B07GL9Y4WS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rustoleum+almond&qid=1617160871&sprefix=rustoleam+almond&sr=8-1

Thanks for the compliment, it was a fun build. I used Rustoleum 2X paint. Color & primer in one. Home Depot stocks probably full line. There's a pretty large color palette in gloss, satin & flat, giving lots of options. You're best to use a separate primer first. I had some plastikote primer left for this build. and now used the rustoleum brand to avoid any complications. Following standard protocol, it goes down pretty smooth & dries pretty quick. Dry to the touch in a day or 2. I still give it at least a week before doing any work or heavy handling just to be safe, but that's up to you. When first applied, I've noticed a very fine orange peel effect, but the paint seems to level itself out, so far at least. I only sanded the primer coat to smooth it all out. The top coat was neither wet sanded or clear coated, just buffed. I've used this brand on a couple of kits and haven't had a problem as of yet. I don't use the clears so I can't speak to them. Do your usual surface prep & you shouldn't have any issues. Glad you like the build, thanks again.

Rust-Oleum.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Thanks for the compliment, it was a fun build. I used Rustoleum 2X paint. Color & primer in one. Home Depot stocks probably full line. There's a pretty large color palette in gloss, satin & flat, giving lots of options. You're best to use a separate primer first. I had some plastikote primer left for this build. and now used the rustoleum brand to avoid any complications. Following standard protocol, it goes down pretty smooth & dries pretty quick. Dry to the touch in a day or 2. I still give it at least a week before doing any work or heavy handling just to be safe, but that's up to you. When first applied, I've noticed a very fine orange peel effect, but the paint seems to level itself out, so far at least. I only sanded the primer coat to smooth it all out. The top coat was neither wet sanded or clear coated, just buffed. I've used this brand on a couple of kits and haven't had a problem as of yet. I don't use the clears so I can't speak to them. Do your usual surface prep & you shouldn't have any issues. Glad you like the build, thanks again.

Rust-Oleum.jpg

thank you very much i will try to find this exact one. 

once again, great job on the kit. its really terrific