Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dobbertin's J-2000

I've had this for a few years, and finally got going on it.   I really like these Hot Rod series of kits from Revell.    Lots of good kits in the series, and several re-boxed older kits, but good subject matter on most of them.    This kit is very well detailed, and I am enjoying the build so far.

I'm going to use Alclad chrome on the roll cage, and that presents a challenge with the floor pan.  You can see in the last picture that the lower part of the cage is molded into the floor.    My intension was to paint the floor red for the carpet, then mask the red, so I can paint the black and then chrome on the cage, then decide whether to use flocking or embossing powder last.    Not sure if that's the best strategy or not.   We will see how it goes.   

IMG_3463.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

IMG_9869.JPG

IMG_8628.JPG

3 hours ago, Ben269 said:

My intention was to paint the floor red for the carpet, then mask the red, so I can paint the black and then chrome on the cage, then decide whether to use flocking or embossing powder last. Not sure if that's the best strategy or not.

I think that's the best plan. Much tedious masking for sure, but the embossing powder might cover/mask any imperfect masking/edges. Not judging here, the masking is a challenging task. ?

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I think that's the best plan. Much tedious masking for sure, but the embossing powder might cover/mask any imperfect masking/edges. Not judging here, the masking is a challenging task. ?

Thats what I am thinking, too.   

Great start . Kit instructions are only the beginning, there’s a lot of planning and thought needed before building a model car. I consume copious amounts of coffee and spend as much time planning as actual building..... and I don’t  have half the talent a lot of people on this forum.

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Are you building this as a drag car? 

I am building it as close to the real car as possible.   I figured Drag racing would be the closest section for a Pro street car.

Clear just seems to kill the chrome effect of most paints   If you want a real chrome like finish you pretty much have to forego the clear.  I love Alclad but it is fragile and is best left to the final stages of assembly to reduce the amount of handling.    Great job so far I'll  keep an eye on this build

Edited by Ian McLaren