Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ford Mustang GT4

3 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Would love for Tamiya to do the C8. Ive always wanted them to do the Dodge Viper also.

Yes, I was always a bit surprised that Tamiya never went after more American cars to sell. NA is a HUGE market, and no disrespect to anyone, but American's love to buy American things. The C8 would be amazing to see as would the Viper. I'm very surprised no one every did the Viper ACR, that car was a beast. Maybe in the future?

39 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I'll bet Tamiya got a little 'help' from FoMoCo with the GT4 kit.......they did with most all the RM Ford race cars....

GM is very 'different' to work with on kits......first hand data!!

They definitely got help, cause they (Tamiya) came to Canada and 3D scanned the GT4 Mustang and I'm sure Multimatic would not have allowed that without consent from FoMoCo.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, stinkybritches said:

Does anyone have any idea what the paint color is for the Volt Racing GT4? 

VOLT-Racing-Ford-Mustang-CTSC-2018-Road-America.jpg.dc68e7bde1e264aa58e083806d6d5ae6.jpg

Try Krylon Florescent Yellow or Mr Color C172 Fluorescent Yellow. Is somebody doing decals for that car (I hope!)??? 

Ben

I think I know why no engine detail.....Tamiya wasn't permitted to see it!!!  I thought maybe I'd do some simple upper engine detail on my build....NOPE....not a single photo....CAR&DRIVER's photo gallery has zero engine pics....

Anyone have any engine bay photos???

I was researching this a while back, found a few photos..my understanding is the GT4 engine is based on the Voodoo 5.4 5.2 from the street GT350.   Since this car has been racing for 3-4 seasons now, there are pictures out there...

images-5.jpeg

Enginebay1-1024x768.jpg

kohr-motorsports-mustang-gt4-running-hard-for-a-championship-0023.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

6 hours ago, Zen said:

Thought it was the 5.2 in the GT350? Could be wrong ……. ??

Yes, 5.2..     ( I think because the Shelby GT350 in 07-12 had a 5.4,  that number sticks in my head...)

It will be interesting to see if someone in the aftermarket (USCP maybe?) does an engine compartment and full engine for this kit..

Edited by Rob Hall

Indycals are very nice to work with. AND if you mess one up he'll replace!!!

You do need to trim decals very close to image as the clear carrier is on the entire sheet. 

Just to show them...here is a different Mustang with Indycals.....W T Ribbs...

RIBBS06a.JPG

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Thanks Rob....I saw those photos but I could never verify that was what the engine bay looks like in 2020.....But a place to start. 

Well, the kit represents the SEMA show car from 2016... same livery.  The 30 or so cars Multimatic built debuted in the 2017 season.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford-mustang-gt4-racer-unveiled-sema-2016/

Here are pics of one in the Motorcraft livery from 2019.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30268416/ford-mustang-gt4-ford-gt-gtlm-vir-drive/

Edited by Rob Hall

On 5/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Jhedir6 said:

Yes, I was always a bit surprised that Tamiya never went after more American cars to sell. NA is a HUGE market, and no disrespect to anyone, but American's love to buy American things. The C8 would be amazing to see as would the Viper. I'm very surprised no one every did the Viper ACR, that car was a beast. Maybe in the future?

Tamiya does very well with American subjects but primarily in the more lucrative air and armor segments in the hobby. I've sold a TON of their all-new for 2019 1/48th scale P-38F/G Lightning. Tamiya generally does about 4 to 10 new tool kits a year across their whole line and usually only one to three of those are cars because cars just don't represent the sales that air and armor do. With that in mind, they're always going to choose either the most globally appealing (LaFerrari, 300SL Gullwing) or the most domestically appealing (A90 Supra, NSX) car to produce. 

You might luck out with Nunu, though. They're being very aggressive with their lineup of GT3 kits and enough vocal builders with open wallets might actually convince them to kit a C8-R.  

18 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

You might luck out with Nunu, though. They're being very aggressive with their lineup of GT3 kits and enough vocal builders with open wallets might actually convince them to kit a C8-R.  

A C8R and a Huracan GT3 from them would be great!

Ben

On 5/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Jhedir6 said:

Yes, I was always a bit surprised that Tamiya never went after more American cars to sell. NA is a HUGE market, and no disrespect to anyone, but American's love to buy American things. The C8 would be amazing to see..

USA is a minuscule market next to the global market, and primarily the Japanese market Tamiya caters to. Note that this kit and other US vehicles they’ve done in the past have that global appeal. 

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

USA is a minuscule market next to the global market, and primarily the Japanese market Tamiya caters to. Note that this kit and other US vehicles they’ve done in the past have that global appeal. 

Absolutely. MAYBE if DaimlerChrysler had played nice in the late 90's/early 00's with licensing fees on Chrysler you would have seen Tamiya release a kit of the Daytona winning Oreca-Viper GTS-R but that's about as "international broad appeal" as the Viper ever got. It's a bit of a bummer because at that time you did see Tamiya kits of McLaren-Mercedes F1 cars and Mercedes DTM cars, but not Chrysler products. 

11 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Modern Jeeps have international appeal, I'd love to see Tamiya do a current Grand Cherokee (maybe a Trailhawk or Trackhawk), or a Wrangler or Gladiator...like how they did 25 years ago... and the current Mustang is the top selling sports coupe globally, a street GT or GT350 would be great to see.