Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos JR Bobby Allison Monte Carlo tuf-lon...chassis and body dont fit, large gap

I start recently building/painting scale car models, even if I have experience in painting figurines since a long time (40k, 15mm figures, diorama, etc...). I bought a salvino jr kit, Bobby Allison Tuf-Lon. I noticed when checking if the parts fits after a pre-built that there is a fairly large gap between the chassis and the body , at the height of the driver's seat. It does not seem that I have forgotten to cut elements of the dashboard. Even by forcing a little, the two sides does not touch. I am quite surprised by this gap, and by checking on youtube, a modeler build this particular model from step A to Z, and when he shows under of the vehicle (very quickly tho), we can also see this same gap ... so I imagine that it's typical of this model built. Should I sand the dashboard part so that the two sides fit perfectly? Or is it normal ...? Im afraid if I sand it it will create other problems. I know we learn by making errors, but...I dont want to ruin this model by ''learning'' too much in one shot! I have other models to built and its not the biggest problem, cause its under the model, but I have mix feeling about this gap..especially for a new kit (with awesome decals). 

Thank you for your advice.

Edited by Temet Nosce

The gap is as designed.  You are correct it should not be there....it comes from Salvinos using one generic chassis for all the Olds, Chevy's and coming Dodge......one size for all as such. 

There has been tons written about this on Randy Ayers NASCAR forum.....check there for detailed info.

Basic fix was adding strip plastic to chassis sides.